Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why need credit card for upgrade online?

Options
  • 10-04-2017 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I tried to upgrade my eir bundle today, after entering details for direct debit I was asked for credit card details for a €1 authorisation.  There were no one-off charges involved so there was no need for credit or debit card to be used.  I was unable to complete the online upgrade process without entering my cc details which I felt was unnecessary.  

After a long time conversing with an online chat assistant, I was no further due to security issue caused by having 2 names on our joint account.

I eventually got it sorted by chatting with a different person who seemed to understand the issue better.

Why the need to enter credit card details?  It made what should have been at most a half hour exercise into a complicated and frustrating 2 hour job.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭eir: Leanne

Hi GL scrappy, 

Thank you for getting in touch with us today.

I am very sorry to hear you feel this way. Can you please DM me your account number, full name and address and I will have a further look into this for you. 

Thanks,
    Leanne. 

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GL scrappy

Hi GL scrappy, 

I am very sorry to hear you feel this way. Can you please DM me your account number, full name and address and I will have a further look into this for you. 

Thanks,
    Leanne. 
    Hi Leanne,

Thanks for your offer but my query was not specific to my account. 
    Anybody who tries to upgrade online will be asked for credit card details for a 1 euro authorisation, even when paying by direct debit and with no one-off charges to be paid.  I could not get a straight answer from the online chat staff as to why it was needed.

So my question is;  Why are people being asked to enter credit card details when there is no payment to be made?

Surely it is an unnecessary security risk and a data protection issue in terms the relevance of data collected.

GL scrappy wrote: »
    Hi GL scrappy, 

Thanks,
    Leanne. 
    Hi Leanne,

Thanks for your offer but my query was not specific to my account. 
    Anybody who tries to upgrade online will be asked for credit card details for a 1 euro authorisation, even when paying by direct debit and with no one-off charges to be paid.  I could not get a straight answer from the online chat staff as to why it was needed.

So my question is;  Why are people being asked to enter credit card details when there is no payment to be made?

Surely it is an unnecessary security risk and a data protection issue in terms the relevance of data collected.
    Hi GL scrappy,

I understand where you are coming from and I do apologise for the inconvenience.

I will query this with our online team and once they get back to me I will then touch base with you with an update. 

Thanks, 
    Leanne. 

Hi GL scrappy,

Apologies for the delay in reply.

Customers are required to enter card details at the checkout to minimise the risk of fraud we get through the website. They are asked to pay a deposit of €1 which they receive back. This would only be for handset orders.

I do apologise for any inconvenience caused, however, this is standard procedure. 

Thanks,

Georgie

Advertisement