Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackout boots

• 10-04-2017 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭

Question lads. Anyone here ever done DIY football boot black out job? Picked up a pair of Puma boots the ballotelli ones with the comic book art on them at the weekend for €15 quid! Puma are a decent boot so couldn't leave them behind.. I don't really like all the colors so I'm thinking of just turning them into blackout boots and changing the laces. Has anyone here ever done it? Any advice? I've watched a few YouTube videos on doing it and seems very easy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

These are the boots aswell by the way

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,307 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Don't ruin them - they could fetch a few quid in another 50 years or so...

:pac:

Beasty wrote: »
    Don't ruin them - they could fetch a few quid in another 50 years or so...

:pac:

Ha ha I think they were ruined on manufacturing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

You could always try burning them :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

I gave it a go before on an old pair of white boots. Used a vinyl spray paint that I got in Halfords. Didn't bother doing the inside so just stuffed some newspaper and tried masking the edges as best as possible. Gave it a few light coats until the boots were fully covered. Wasn't a perfect job but did the trick.

• Advertisement

markc1184 wrote: »
    I gave it a go before on an old pair of white boots. Used a vinyl spray paint that I got in Halfords. Didn't bother doing the inside so just stuffed some newspaper and tried masking the edges as best as possible. Gave it a few light coats until the boots were fully covered. Wasn't a perfect job but did the trick.

How long did last? I'm after ordering a leather die that you wipe onto the boots. There's a second bottle with it that you apply first that strips away the factory finish then you apply the die. You out on a few coats.. I've the sole all masked off at the moment... did you put any clear coat on after you sprayed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

They were still black when I got rid of them after about 18 months. I'll admit they didn't get a whole lot of use afterwards and you could see were the paint started to crack along some of the stitches after about 6 months. I didn't put a clear on afterwards which may have helped with the cracking.

markc1184 wrote: »
    They were still black when I got rid of them after about 18 months. I'll admit they didn't get a whole lot of use afterwards and you could see were the paint started to crack along some of the stitches after about 6 months. I didn't put a clear on afterwards which may have helped with the cracking.

I sprayed a pair of Kelme boots blue years ago and same thing happened. Hopefully the leather dye works out better. Ill post some pics in a few days when they are done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

Let us know how you get on.

Always see some awful boots for decent prices in the shops but never want to take the chance for the awful looks you'd get.

Nidot wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on.

Always see some awful boots for decent prices in the shops but never want to take the chance for the awful looks you'd get.

These are bad but for 15 quid and then the dye for 15 https://www.amazon.co.uk/natural-synthetic-leather-Kaps-Preparer/dp/B00Y84SR7C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1491911379&sr=8-3&keywords=black+leather+dye you cant go wrong even if i destroy them.. It even says on the dye it changes the colour of leather shoes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah I went to Elverys yesterday to pick myself up some cheap Astro boots, but didn't end up getting any despite a few bargains there. Neon green and pink boots, no thanks. What happened to plain black or even white ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yeah I went to Elverys yesterday to pick myself up some cheap Astro boots, but didn't end up getting any despite a few bargains there. Neon green and pink boots, no thanks. What happened to plain black or even white ones?

I went back for a spell of senior football a few years ago and went to buy boots and was genuinelly shocked at the colour varients. Absolutely no way I was going to pre-season in a new team wearing these colours, let alone play matches in them I'd be smashed up.

Turn up for pre-season in an ancient pair of Nike Tiempos and see nothing but fluorescent colours and the same when it came to matches.

Look I'm all for flamboyancy and I remember being one of the first people wearing Nikes Mercurial Vapors way back when, but to not be able to buy a simple pair of black boots is amazing.

Advertisement