Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Chocolate Slice

Options
  • 10-04-2017 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Can anyone give me a recipe for a Cork Chocolate Slice. The one with the iced button on the top. I have tried every where but no luck. Of if you can advise where I could find the recipe, it would be a great help.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

All I know is that I tried to make these in the past, and I failed. I'd be very interested in a tried and tested recipe!

Edit: these lads, for anyone unfamiliar:

Y6rOwTml.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Ohhh,I just want one of these now!No hope at all living in Dublin.Nothing quite like one of those and an ice cold glass of milk!Memories of the "milk and cake" shop on sullivans quay.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I'm pretty sure half the secret is using margarine instead of butter.

The two layers of shortbread should be straight forward. A blob of apricot jam on either side of the filling.

I made this cake recently (https://romanianfood.wordpress.com/2013/01/12/amandine/) and the filling has pretty much the right texture (maybe use margarine and a little less cocoa).

The top seems to be melted chocolate in some shops, and an icing glaze in others. The pink dot is probably fondant icing that's thick enough to not flow too much but thin enough to tun blobby.

I'd say assemble the lot and cut w/ a sharp sharp sharp knife.

I think I want to try replicate it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've only ever heard these called "Doorbells" here in Cork - never knew they were Cork Chocolate Slices, that sounds so much posher! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Swaney

Thanks Tree, I will give it a go and see how it compares and Faith that is a good pic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My mother used to make these. I just happen to be in the parents house and my mother was able to find her recipe.

4oz butter
    4oz icing sugar
    2 eggs
    14oz plain flour

Blitz in food processor, roll out and cook on 2 trays for about 15 minutes. @150c. (sounds like very little cooking but I trust my mother's baking)

Filling was 2 1/2 Oz butter and 4oz icing sugar and some cocoa powder.

Chocolate on top.

My mum reckons she didn't often put apricot jam in them but I think she did.

We called them doorbells too

Advertisement