Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitored Gun Safe

Options
  • 10-04-2017 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    I'm currently trying to get my guns set up here in the republic for the first time and need a little advice. I've six non restricted firearms and trying to buy a safe for them all. The guard I've been talking to, said i need a monitored alarm on the safe as well as my house monitored alarm. My question is the safe. Do i just buy a safe and then could a registered installer tie it into an existing PIR that will be just above it when it's installed, or do you buy a safe with something already installed on it?
    Cheers
    Mallards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

mallards wrote: »
    Hi lads,
    I'm currently trying to get my guns set up here in the republic for the first time and need a little advice. I've six non restricted firearms and trying to buy a safe for them all. The guard I've been talking to, said i need a monitored alarm on the safe as well as my house monitored alarm. My question is the safe. Do i just buy a safe and then could a registered installer tie it into an existing PIR that will be just above it when it's installed, or do you buy a safe with something already installed on it?
    Cheers
    Mallards

The Guard is wrong. The guide lines state you need the house on a monitored GSM alarm system. Now that's not to say the Super won't ask for more additions to your system.

The Guidelines are here

" 4. Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place: In addition to the standards specified at reference
    number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder
    alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private
    Security Authority which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent
    standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Síochána. The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person
    licensed by the Private Security Authority and supported with GSM
    mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities."

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Ring the Super's Office yourself, you will prob get through to one of his staff in the office and ask them to ask the Super exactly what security measures he wants you to put in place, saves a lot of confusion and misinformation. In the guidelines the place where the firearms are stored is as I believe your house not the safe.

I rang my local Supers office today after being told by a Guard that I needed a monitored alarm , I knew under the guidelines that I didn't need one but checked it out to see if the Super wished me to have one, He didn't my current alarm system is adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

As other have mentioned, there is no requirement to alarm the safe unless the super specifically requests it.

However if you do want to alarm it you could do what I've done, get a wireless or hybrid alarm and fit a wireless shock/contact sensor inside your safe.

You will also need the alarm monitored over the GSM network.

The HKC 1070/alarm panel is a good one, supports anti-jamming and heartbeat technology. The local CPO was only out with me last week and was completely happy with my setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Thanks lads yeah I reckoned it was an extra step right enough. I'll ring the super directly and get it exactly how it's needed.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭richiedel123

Friend of mine had to do this as the super requested it. It's a knock sensor or something they call it. It is wired in as part of a normal house alarm. It sets alarm off if somebody hits the safe a belt to try open it. He has to leave that on all the time even when he is in the house

• Advertisement
Advertisement