Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ormond Quay Hotel

Options
  • 10-04-2017 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

Another thread here jogged my memory of this place. I think there was something unpleasant found in the building but with the current issue with finding a hotel in Dublin, surely someone is going to do this place up?

Does anyone know what the story is with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Or I could have just used google...

Seriously though any up to date news/gossip/inside track etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Moved from Accommodation and Property. Dublin city forum charter applies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Did some crowd break into a post office or bank by tunnelling through from the empty hotel?

The hotel is mentioned in 'Ulysses'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I have memories of being in the nightclub in it.

Surprising it's been left undeveloped for so long.

Why would the govt not buy it and use it to reclaim some road space. Then sell it as a smaller site.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

spurious wrote: »
    Did some crowd break into a post office or bank by tunnelling through from the empty hotel?

Sounds like the irish branch of the red headed league are still going despite the best efforts of mr holmes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭francois

beauf wrote: »
    I have memories of being in the nightclub in it.

Surprising it's been left undeveloped for so long.

Why would the govt not buy it and use it to reclaim some road space. Then sell it as a smaller site.

That was the Temple Of Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Another thread here jogged my memory of this place. I think there was something unpleasant found in the building but with the current issue with finding a hotel in Dublin, surely someone is going to do this place up?

Does anyone know what the story is with it?

Asbestos was what I heard.

It's owned by the tune group now as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

spurious wrote: »

Although there's basically a few internal walls left from that time only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

DCC granted permission in September 2016. Redevelopment of Dublin's Ormond Hotel gets go ahead

Decision immediately appealed to An Bord Pleanala who have yet to make a ruling on it. A previous plan was rejected by Pleanala in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

ollaetta wrote: »
    DCC granted permission in September 2016. Redevelopment of Dublin's Ormond Hotel gets go ahead

Decision immediately appealed to An Bord Pleanala who have yet to make a ruling on it. A previous plan was rejected by Pleanala in 2013.

Hopefully they get the go-ahead to redevelop the building. I always considered the Ormond as one of Dublin's grand old hotels like the Gresham or Wynn's. It's a shame to see how far it's fallen into disrepair.

I remember it was a good spot for going to see slightly odd plays and readings back in the early 80's. If it is to be redeveloped I would like to see it retain some of its old charm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

There's abit of movement on this building at the moment, as I passed by this morning one of the doors was open and there were workmen inside. I tried to get a nosy but it was very bright outside and dark inside so I couldn't see much. Hopefully they've gotten permission to do something useful with it.

Advertisement