Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From plant operator to plant owner

Options
  • 10-04-2017 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I've been operating a particular type of plant machinery for years, usually for agencies, but I'm toying with the idea of buying my own machine to either hire out or hire out and operate myself. How do I approach potential clients and get contracts.
    For example, when you drive past a site and see 'Billy McGinnty plant hire' digging away; How did 'Billy McGinntys' get that contract? Whats the process? Who did they approach? Did the developer put out a tender for the work, where did BMcG hear about it? etc.
    Any insights from people in construction would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Surely you would approach the clients who you have already done work for on behalf of the agencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Most plant operators and indeed any small businesses that start out have a period where the plant is ready to rock but they go out and cold call clients, starting with clients they may have worked for before as they may have reputation there.

Get a bunch of business cards made up and head out.
    Start with places you know maybe know the foreman or main contractor.
    After that set yourself an area and start driving, call into sites etc and ask about pass out cards.

Many lads will while still working for a plant business sus out the contractors and say "I'm thinking of striking out alone, would you put some work my way?" That way you'll get a feel for guys you've done work for and see if they value your particular skill on the plant - if they value you particularly they will be interested.

I know a few lads personally that have done this - strike out on their own, from what I see you need to be exceptional on the plant to the point where they want YOU rather than any guy on a machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 suevic

Thanks for the advice Brian, sorry it took a week to reply, computer problems. Your suggestion is probably right though about getting some cards made and hitting the road. It's all about getting that first contract, I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

pablo128 wrote: »
    Surely you would approach the clients who you have already done work for on behalf of the agencies?

Probably worth checking the original agency contracts (if there are any) before doing this. It's not unusual for an agency contract to specify introduction fees to either the client or the contractor should the parties involved decide to circumvent the agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

First thing you need is a C2 sub-contracters cert from Revenue, if you are going to work it yourself. Employment Agency contract clauses do not apply as you are not going in as an employee of their client.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 suevic

Thanks lads, two interesting points there. Concerning the agency, bar the day I went for an interview in 2008, I haven't been near the office and I don't remember ever signing any paperwork. I'll also be talking to an accountant friend this weekend, I'll ask him about C2, working for myself and the revenue in general.
    Regarding plant hire, is there any association or organizations I need to be registered with, I assume I need someone's stamp of approval to operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

You only need C2 and proper insurance cover to get to quote...whether you can get any business is all down to your own selling skills and contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

have you thought about the possibility of acquiring another small operator? maybe a guy retiring and owns a few machines or someone fed up with the business. You,ll get a ready to go business, machines and some sort of contacts/previous customers to build the business off

Advertisement