Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social welfare eligibility

Options
  • 10-04-2017 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there I have a bit of a situation at work.

The company I'm working in are moving location in about a months time from the city center to the middle of nowhere about 30 km outside the city, its a small company there's only about 10 of us. I don't drive and there's no buses to the location, I've also asked about lifts of course but given how small we are there's nobody anywhere near my route.

I'm considering quitting at the end of the month because I don't really have any way to get there, I don't really want to work outside my city, plus I have kind of wanted to find a new company to work for anyway.

But I'm just wondering given the circumstances would I be eligible for social welfare if I left my job at the month given the exceptional circumstances? Ideally I will have another job lined up first but it might take me a little longer than a month to secure a new job.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think you should investigate if this will mean your effectively being made redundant. Depending on how long your there you could get a statutory payment and then be entitled to jobseekers payment.

IMO if you just leave you will have to wait ~8 weeks before claiming a payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I think this is covered under some redundancy legislation, I don't think it states exact distances that it must be further than to qualify. It's more of a case by case bases.
    You would more than likely qualify seen you don't drive or have public transport to the location.
    Contact NERA for information

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You could be looking at a 9 week exclusion from sw for making yourself unemployed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Is 30km really that far?

The welfare officer will have to ask herself is this really insurmountable to the extent that you have it is unconscionable to expect you to run with it. Given there is no public transport, it helps you, but given that everyone else has no issue, the officer mightn't rule in your favour. Not having a car is your choice.

My own judgement would be to bar you for the 8 weeks, but you've a good enough chance of it going in your favour.

Gatling wrote: »
    You could be looking at a 9 week exclusion from sw for making yourself unemployed

Your job moving to a new location without transport, is one of the reasons the 9 weeks can be waved.
    The OP has a genuine issue and SW is there to help genuine people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

myshirt wrote: »
    Is 30km really that far?

People commute much further distances on a regular basis, and it's frankly non of the employers business or concern how you get to work.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    People commute much further distances on a regular basis, and it's frankly non of the employers business or concern how you get to work.

No its not the companies concern and its also not the companies decision if redundancy should be offered.

As you say plenty of people commute more than 30 km on public transport. If their job is moved an extra 30km, should they be happy to travel 60km or 90km or 120km. Some people don't want to spend their life commuting and the company have altered the job offer to the OP, not the OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Please read OP.

No buses, no driving licence and no colleagues for a lift. How can the poster commute if there is no transport?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Actually your wrong. The employee enjoyed certain terms and conditions and any changes to that are subject to agreement between the 2 of them.
    Workplace Relations would consider a relocation of 30km unreasonable and say that it was a case of redundancy.
    Likewise SW will consider that the employee has been made redundant and is entitled to JSB

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Please read OP.

No buses, no driving licence and no colleagues for a lift. How can the poster commute if there is no transport?

The OP could cycle. Easy enough to do in about an hour.

• Advertisement

He could ride a kids tricycle with Donald Duck stickers on it, but much like your comment, that has nothing to do with the OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Not everyone is able to cycle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Maybe the OP has a disability that prevents them from cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Harrie

Quote: infogiver
    Actually your wrong. The employee enjoyed certain terms and conditions and any changes to that are subject to agreement between the 2 of them.
    Workplace Relations would consider a relocation of 30km unreasonable and say that it was a case of redundancy.
    Likewise SW will consider that the employee has been made redundant and is entitled to JSB

Exactly this.

Check your employment contract, it is likely to say something about the company having the right to move within a certain radius (usually about 15km), anything further and it could be a redundancy situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

infogiver wrote: »

Would they? I remember a ruling coming in for civil servants during the recession where they could be moved up to 45km from their current place of work or their home address as part of redeployment.

Now, a DSP officer might well decide that the 30km is unreasonable anyway, nut its a discretionary thing and hard to call IMHO.

Advertisement