Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Property Crisis - RTE (3rd April and 10th April)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

ongarboy wrote: »
    Hmm. I don't think we'll see house prices fall or better value to be had for a long while so get used to renting at Auntie's!. Recent unemployment figures from last week show that the rate is the lowest since 2008 and that 50000 new jobs are being estimated to be created this year and growth rates for the next few years are all buoyant despite Brexit uncertainty.   That is a lot of additional people earning wages and eligible for mortgages that weren't this time last year. 
    The new tax rebate offered to first time buyers and the relaxation of Central Bank lending criteria rules has also added 1000's of extra home buyers to the market that would previously been out of scope.  All of this combined with very slow levels of increased house building activity is only going to keep property prices increasing for a long while ahead.

That's the plan , large 3 bed penthouse that we got for a song , fully secure no chance of being evicted or rent going up. will wait it out two or three years and see if the thing rights itself with new builds starting again if not my OH will get her lump sum and will be sorted anyway.

Still half hoping she gets offered a relocation package to the states through work and we can get out of this depressing little country for good.

That program highlighted one of the many many issues with this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

And that is what is wrong. People shouldn't be allowed to turn down social housing offered to them within a reasonable distance from the area they're from. Fair enough, I can see why a single mum from North Dublin would turn down social housing in Cavan but I can't see why someone in a similar position from should be able to turn down a place in West Dublin when you have people from the same area having to move to Mullingar or Navan and commute into work because they can't afford to rent or buy in Dublin.

I was waiting for the first "free house" post. And even more so, "this is the problem". Like the people on social welfare are causing the housing crisis.

There have always been people on low income who live in social housing. This is something that happened overnight.

What did happen is the government stopped building social housing, even in boom times. They've caused this current crisis, not Mary on low income.

People are always looking for a demon to blame and I absolutely abhor this trait in our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

pilly wrote: »
    I was waiting for the first "free house" post. And even more so, "this is the problem". Like the people on social welfare are causing the housing crisis.

There have always been people on low income who live in social housing. This is something that happened overnight.

What did happen is the government stopped building social housing, even in boom times. They've caused this current crisis, not Mary on low income.

People are always looking for a demon to blame and I absolutely abhor this trait in our country.

You're right, a combination of a number of things have led to the current crisis.

I never stated that people on Social Welfare were solely to blame for the housing crisis. I was simply making the point that people on social housing lists shouldn't be allowed to turn down housing just because it isn't on the exact street that they want to live on. If that pandering keeps up, it slows down the whole system.

I am not demonising people on SW at all.

You're right, a combination of a number of things have led to the current crisis.

I never stated that people on Social Welfare were solely to blame for the housing crisis. I was simply making the point that people on social housing lists shouldn't be allowed to turn down housing just because it isn't on the exact street that they want to live on. If that pandering keeps up, it slows down the whole system.

I am not demonising people on SW at all.

Okay, well maybe your original post was worded badly but you started it off with "this is the problem" as if that's what causing the housing crisis.

The small percentage of people on the housing list who turn down a house because it's not exactly where they want to live really doesn't slow things down. They turn down a house and the council quickly move on to the next person on the list.

The other thing is, when it comes to social housing please remember that for a lot of people this is their home for the rest of the lives most probably, it's a big decision.

I agree that they probably shouldn't complain about moving to the other side of Dublin but I also don't think sticking people out in the sticks who can't afford to drive helps anyone in society.

A big issue I see is the sheer rise in population in such a short space of time. Emigration v immigration is still completely unbalanced. We are a small nation, we just can't sustain such a huge rise in population if it continues to rise the way it did over the last 10 years.

I don't know Rose. I think it's worse to see small towns empty and there are a lot of them still around Ireland.

I suppose it's about creating jobs in the right areas too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Brexit could make or break us. It is conceivable that demand is only going to increase dramatically if we see UK firms negatively affected by Brexit relocate to the Republic.

Ireland is sparsely populated. England is not much bigger but has a population 10 times greater than Ireland.

There is plenty of room to see our population grow to over 10 million but we are woefully unprepared for any Brexit benefits (if they come at all and we aren't wiped out by it ourselves).

Demand for housing could get much higher, or lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Okay, well maybe your original post was worded badly but you started it off with "this is the problem" as if that's what causing the housing crisis.

I actually said "And that's what is wrong" but yeah, I'll take your point. It wasn't my intention to lay the blame wholly at the feet of SW recipients, more that I think letting a certain amount of people on housing lists continually dismiss homes because they're a couple of miles away from their ideal location is daft in my opinion. Neither am I suggesting that everyone does it, I know most are delighted to get offered a place.
    I also don't think sticking people out in the sticks who can't afford to drive helps anyone in society.

I alluded to the very same thing. Sending someone to a council estate in a village 50 miles up the road isn't the answer. Fine, some of them might be happy to do that, but I wouldn't be forcing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Neither is it fine to send someone who doesn't qualify for social housing 50km up the road to where they can afford, bit it happens every day of the week

Neither is it fine to send someone who doesn't qualify for social housing 50km up the road to where they can afford, bit it happens every day of the week

Look, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I'm simply saying that the housing crisis can't be solved by people turning on each other.

It always turns into a battle when times are hard. When times are good no-one even notices who lives where.

I've been in all positions, council housing, mortgage, can't pay mortgage, becoming LL, becoming tenant again so I'm can empathise with all sides.

I just detest the turning on each other that Irish people indulge in when the chips are down.

I actually said "And that's what is wrong" but yeah, I'll take your point. It wasn't my intention to lay the blame wholly at the feet of SW recipients, more that I think letting a certain amount of people on housing lists continually dismiss homes because they're a couple of miles away from their ideal location is daft in my opinion. Neither am I suggesting that everyone does it, I know most are delighted to get offered a place.

I alluded to the very same thing. Sending someone to a council estate in a village 50 miles up the road isn't the answer. Fine, some of them might be happy to do that, but I wouldn't be forcing it.

As far as I remember you can't continually dismiss a house. 3 strikes and you're out was the rule back in my day but that was over 25 years ago.

It should still stand though. I agree, people can't keep refusing reasonable offers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement