Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I legally entitled to be paid?

Options
  • 11-04-2017 7:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I recently started a new job but left after two days as it just wasn't for me and I didn't want to waste time. I didn't sign a contract however I'm just wondering does anyone know legally am I entitled to be paid for the two days I've worked or could they turn round and say no since I left early? Advice appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I think you're entitled to be paid but I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Seeing that you got it wrong, wouldn't the cleanest thing to do be to move on and forget about it?

Did you do anything in those two days to add value to the company?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yes you're entitled to be paid OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Shows how far this country has gone wrong when a person asks on a public forum 'are they entitled to be paid?'

myshirt wrote:
    Did you do anything in those two days to add value to the company?

Turned up and done a few hours maybe!

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    Yes you're entitled to be paid OP.

Not entirely. Think substance over form. Strict insistence on legal compliance shouldn't interupt the normal course of business. Dependent on the industry, it could be custom and practice to give a trial run for a few days, and if it works out, custom and practice to pay for those few days, but make no mistake, if we had a stickler of an employer here he might say no there were no specific performance of the contract, that the op frustrated it, so no pay.

Pragmatic approach would be to just pay the op, but a bad move by the op if they want to get back into that industry and have a reg and rereg on Revenue that a new employer can pick up.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Turned up and done a few hours maybe!

What's the industry?

myshirt wrote:
    Not entirely. Think substance over form. Strict insistence on legal compliance shouldn't interupt the normal course of business. Dependent on the industry, it could be custom and practice to give a trial run for a few days, and if it works out, custom and practice to pay for those few days, but make no mistake, if we had a stickler of an employer here he might say no there were no specific performance of the contract, that the op frustrated it, so no pay.

myshirt wrote:
    Pragmatic approach would be to just pay the op, but a bad move by the op if they want to get back into that industry and have a reg and rereg on Revenue that a new employer can pick up.

Sorry but what the hell you on about, somebody turns up, does a few hours work, what's the problem?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

myshirt wrote:

myshirt wrote:

This is total nonsense. Regardless of how good or bad a job he did and how much inconvenience it was to the employer he is still entitled to the 2 day's pay and pro rata holiday entitlement (although it's insignificant in this case)

He need not be worried about any tarnish of his career prospects in most industries.

This kind of thing happens a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

So the company did most if not all of the below ...

Paid to advertise the role
    took time to vet your cv along with others
    took time to arrange interview with you
    took time to do the interview
    took time to decide on the successful candidate
    took time to organize training
    took time to do the training
    took time to set you up on IT systems
    took time to set you up on payroll/HR systems

and you decide after two days its not for you and bugger off and then want to get paid for it

I assume you are entitled to the pay legally but cant see how you can put your hand out and expect it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

So, this contract you didn't sign... They could simply say, this guy turned up for two days, and wouldn't leave, but finally got the hint.

If I turned up in Tesco and started moving product around the aisles would I be entitled to be paid?

Okay, there was probably a letter of offer, is that the case OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

MaryMak39 wrote:
    I recently started a new job but left after two days as it just wasn't for me and I didn't want to waste time. I didn't sign a contract however I'm just wondering does anyone know legally am I entitled to be paid for the two days I've worked or could they turn round and say no since I left early? Advice appreciated

You would of course be entitled to be paid. However I wouldn't expect it to be first priority with the company. Will more than likely be included in next payroll.

What on earth would lead you to feel "it's not for me" after 2 days?
    Do you have another job to go to?

Advertisement