Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acute Mastitis

• 11-04-2017 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

What antibiotic are you using for acute mastitis in sheep?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

cobactan or betamox is best IME

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Thanks. I think I have used Cobactan on a foal . Is it very expensive ?

the vet may give you enough for the ewe

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Country lad

Just gave a ewe 12 cc of alaymicin la for mastitis will it do her any good

• Advertisement

If you are very lucky.... I think the vets are recommending doubling up on the first shot with amoxicillin and also giving Finadyne .

Is it acute mastitis ? Whatever you give make sure to finish the course to avoid building up resistance

Decided to go to vets clinic and they told me on give ewe 6 ml for five days of noroclav

Decided to go to vets clinic and they told me on give ewe 6 ml for five days of noroclav

I would like if some of you with experience would give your opinion on 6 ml... seems a very small dose especially for the first shot ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

brownswiss wrote: »

I would like if some of you with experience would give your opinion on 6 ml... seems a very small dose especially for the first shot ?

I don't know the dosage off hand but for a sheep with noroclav that doesn’t sound low.
    First dose shouldn't matter the important thing is to continue it each day for the recommended time.

Thanks

6 cc over five days is what the vet advised and can see a big improvement in the ewe today

• Advertisement

Thanks

6 cc over five days is what the vet advised and can see a big improvement in the ewe today

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

I don't know the dosage off hand but for a sheep with noroclav that doesn’t sound low.
    First dose shouldn't matter the important thing is to continue it each day for the recommended time.

+1 duration is the thing most people often forget about once an animal seems to be on the mend, it's also important not to under dose but I think of the top of my head noroclav or synulox is 1ml/20kg so 6ml is plenty, no harm being abit on the high side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

should the teat be kept drained out during the course of treatment
    also is 6cc of betamox la enough for each injection

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Surfn wrote: »
    should the teat be kept drained out during the course of treatment
    also is 6cc of betamox la enough for each injection

Betamox LA is 1/10kg so depending on the breed of ewe it might not be enough, I'd err on the high side to be safe, I never found much benefit draining out ewes, usually found they would lose that side regardless, what's others experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

As with any mastitis the more you strip the better. This is especially true with any acute watery mastitis where it's the toxins that kill them rather than bacteria. Choice of which antibiotic is often less important than the anti-inflammatory and getting treatment started fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I’m new to sheep. Had fine texel hogget lamb twins, second Lamb was bit weaker so I knocked ewe and got it sucking, both lambs continue to suck that one side and 24 hours later I put her in a bag looked big on one side and straight away with the heat and colour of milk I knew she had got mastitis but ever so quick or do you think she had it before ?

Gave her a shot of LA anttibiotic, milked it out , took 2 lambs off of her and let them at her together and I’m making them drain that side and rubbing cheno unction into her elder and already the swelling and colour of milk has improved .. I hope I’ve caught it early enough

If.that was me would give.her noroclav.injection had it in two ewes last.year that was.bad and it done the trick as one had it in one tit and she reared a single lamb took other lamb away from her

If.that was me would give.her noroclav.injection had it in two ewes last.year that was.bad and it done the trick as one had it in one tit and she reared a single lamb took other lamb away from her

I putting lambs into her and they sucking that side and it’s milk so must have caught it early. Would you give her good shot of grass to produce plenty milk and flush it through with aid of antibiotics or would you keep her on a tight paddock so less milk for lambs to take from her?

sonnybill wrote: »
    I putting lambs into her and they sucking that side and it’s milk so must have caught it early. Would you give her good shot of grass to produce plenty milk and flush it through with aid of antibiotics or would you keep her on a tight paddock so less milk for lambs to take from her?

I put the rejected lamb on bottle and ram lamb was getting a handle on her and she be hanging in the back end !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭DJ98

Have yet to experience mastitis herewith, what are the sign or symptoms you should look out for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

DJ98 wrote: »
    Have yet to experience mastitis herewith, what are the sign or symptoms you should look out for?
    You’re either very good or very lucky never to have had mastitis.
    They get very sick. Off their food. They get a large swelled hard udder that feels warm to touch. Lambs will look hungry or will be trying to suck the same teat. Curse of a disease. Hard to cure unless it’s caught early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

You’re either very good or very lucky never to have had mastitis.
    They get very sick. Off their food. They get a large swelled hard udder that feels warm to touch. Lambs will look hungry or will be trying to suck the same teat. Curse of a disease. Hard to cure unless it’s caught early.

They mightn't put weight on one of their back legs aswell

DJ98 wrote: »

How long have you had sheep? Last year it was rampant but this year doesn’t appear even 1/4 as bad

So far.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

They mightn't put weight on one of their back legs aswell

Tenderness in one of the legs as she walks would usually be the first thing I'd cop, they'd be throwing out the leg also to avoid it rubbing on the udder, very seldom would I lose a ewe with mastitis but with some the udder would get into an awful mess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

razor8 wrote: »
    How long have you had sheep? Last year it was rampant but this year doesn’t appear even 1/4 as bad

So far.......

I can only remember acute mastitis in one ewe here. Blind teats are plenty but they never get too sick with it

Advertisement