Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Dublin to Athlone nice route suggestions...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I generally go along the old N4. Most of the road is grand but there are a few pinch points and roads with a lot more HGVs on it avoiding the toll.

The route is very flat (maybe 600m).

I've also gone via Embankment, Blessington, Clane etc etc

Or via Tullamore.

There are a few iterations of those route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i'm not sure how well you know the roads / towns on the way but i'd personally recommend aiming for kinnegad and getting onto the canal cycle path near killucan (few km outside kinnegad) - can map it for you if you are keen.

i've done this on a carbon road bike, coming from the city centre. the canal path takes you the whole way into mullingar where you can follow the canal around the town to the point where it joins up with the old rail trail greenway - then the last 40km to athlone are on perfectly smooth tarmac surface away from the traffic. from the start point near killucan to athlone you end up doing around 60km away from traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

That sounds good mr Spuckler

sound, will map it from kinnegad for you later, i'll leave the getting to kinnegad bit to yourself :)

are you cycling back up to dublin too? as people here often recommend, coming back from athlone should be easier than heading down because of wind direction!

Sound...
    NO matter where i go or direction im always in a head wind...not sure have to have a beers :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sound...
    NO matter where i go or direction im always in a head wind...not sure have to have a beers :)

I prefer cycling home from the in laws. Great excuse to leave early and a tail wind!

I googled and found the royal canal greenway I presume thats the route your suggesting Mr.Spuckler.....

godtabh wrote: »
    I prefer cycling home from the in laws. Great excuse to leave early and a tail wind!

Not a bad idea at all.....:cool: cycle up and back might not see them at all!!

I googled and found the royal canal greenway I presume thats the route your suggesting Mr.Spuckler.....

it is indeed - starts from the westmeath / meath border and takes you right into mullingar. i think a small stretch at the start is country lane, then it's canal path the whole way to mullingar.

i think you have to dismount to open 1 or 2 gates and have to cross the old main kinnegad to mullingar road at one point but otherwise won't touch traffic. the surface to mullingar is absolutely fine for a road bike.

i tried mapping it earlier and most of the mapping sites don't really recognise the greenway or the canal path. here is where you'd join the path anyway. just a matter of following it after that! when you get to mullingar you follow the canal that loops right around the town and brings you to the start of the old rail trail greenway to athlone.

Not a bad idea at all.....:cool: cycle up and back might not see them at all!!

Only got away with that once

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

They are working on royal canal tow path at moment around Longwood Moyvalley not cyclable

benneca1 wrote: »
    They are working on royal canal tow path at moment around Longwood Moyvalley not cyclable

that's further up than what's been suggested though. the westmeath section was done a few years ago. glad to hear though that the other sections are being worked on!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,161 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Re crossing the main Kinnegad to Mullingar road, the canal and it's path pass under the road. You do have to cross the old road but it's generally quiet.

Thanks people..

Advertisement