If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung UE40KU6400

Options
  • 11-04-2017 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have a few questions on the UE40KU6400 TV you might be able to help me with (for use in ROI)..

1. Storing Channels

My interpretation of the spec is that as it doesn't have a dual tuner; the single tuner has two personalities, only one of which will be enabled at any one time. So if watching BBC1 on satellite and I want to change over to RTE1 on Saorview I need to tell it to change tuner personality from dvb-s to dvb-t...

Does this require a retune of Saorview channels? I've read/been told a few different things on this. I would imagine it can store the channel list for both setups and seamlessly switch between.. whats the story?

2. Freesat Licence

One of the reviews of this set on your site refers to issues with Samsung not having a Freesat Licence and periodic resetting of channel lists as a result (from Martin57 on 9th March 2017). Obviously his case is separate and private, but on the wider issue of Freesat and channel lists, are there any issues with this set? I understand the postcode will limit regional channels (ie no BBC NI or BBC Scotland or BBC Wales if London postcode entered) but aside form that are there any known issues? Or potential issues for ROI viewers?

Many thanks for your time..

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi there,

I have a few questions on the UE40KU6400 TV you might be able to help me with (for use in ROI)..

1. Storing Channels

My interpretation of the spec is that as it doesn't have a dual tuner; the single tuner has two personalities, only one of which will be enabled at any one time. So if watching BBC1 on satellite and I want to change over to RTE1 on Saorview I need to tell it to change tuner personality from dvb-s to dvb-t...

Does this require a retune of Saorview channels? I've read/been told a few different things on this. I would imagine it can store the channel list for both setups and seamlessly switch between.. whats the story?

2. Freesat Licence

One of the reviews of this set on your site refers to issues with Samsung not having a Freesat Licence and periodic resetting of channel lists as a result (from Martin57 on 9th March 2017). Obviously his case is separate and private, but on the wider issue of Freesat and channel lists, are there any issues with this set? I understand the postcode will limit regional channels (ie no BBC NI or BBC Scotland or BBC Wales if London postcode entered) but aside form that are there any known issues? Or potential issues for ROI viewers?

Hi Handsomerover.

1. Storing Channels

The 40KU6400 does only have one tuner.
    Only one set of stations can be stored at a time. If you have freesat tuned and want to switch to Freeview/saorview then you need to re-tune the television.
    Why Samsung went down this road is anyone's guess. 

Regarding the Licence for Freesat. As far as I'm aware it does have the Freesat licence, its listed as freesat and usually if there is no licence it will not mention freesat in any of the spec.

We have had no issues so far regarding this screen and receiving Freesat HD broadcasts.

I hope this helps a little.

Any questions please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HandsomeRover

Hi there,

1. Storing Channels

2. Freesat Licence

Hi Handsomerover.

1. Storing Channels

Only one set of stations can be stored at a time. If you have freesat tuned and want to switch to Freeview/saorview then you need to re-tune the television.

Regarding the Licence for Freesat. As far as I'm aware it does have the Freesat licence, its listed as freesat and usually if there is no licence it will not mention freesat in any of the spec.

We have had no issues so far regarding this screen and receiving Freesat HD broadcasts.

Many thanks for your swift reply..

The need to retune is a non-runner for me, I appreciate the clarification.

Have you any 40inch or lower 4K set (or 1080P) that does what I'm after - i.e. dual tuner? Its essentially for watching sports.
    I have seen the LG 32LH604V up close and think it is awful - it does not do motion well -at all- in my opinion.

I dont want to have to put up a shelf & box so the integrated TV is key.

Sound..

Hi there,

1. Storing Channels

2. Freesat Licence

Hi Handsomerover.

1. Storing Channels

Many thanks for your swift reply..

The need to retune is a non-runner for me, I appreciate the clarification.

Have you any 40inch or lower 4K set (or 1080P) that does what I'm after - i.e. dual tuner? Its essentially for watching sports.
    I have seen the LG 32LH604V up close and think it is awful - it does not do motion well -at all- in my opinion.

I dont want to have to put up a shelf & box so the integrated TV is key.

Sound..
    Hi Whydoibother.

Unfortunately there are really no other Freesat approved 40" screens.

Some of the others like some LG and Sony have the freesat tuner but are not approved by freesat which can cause issues with the program guide.

It looks like even the new Samsung UE40MU6400 is also single tuner :(

Panasonic freesat start at 50" its one of the models priced at £1299.00

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭roadrunnermick

Hi Sorry for jumping in 

I am just about to pull the trigger on the 49 inch , So if I schedule a recording on one tuner and change guide from free sat to  saoirview , Do I loose that schedule recording ?

Hi Sorry for jumping in 

I am just about to pull the trigger on the 49 inch , So if I schedule a recording on one tuner and change guide from free sat to  saoirview , Do I loose that schedule recording ?
    Hi Roadrunnermcik.

You would indeed lose your schedule recording as the stations would no longer be tuned in and after a re-tune would be reset.

Its a bit of a nightmare unfortunately. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭daithihalton

Glad I read this, i was also after a 40" UE40KU6400, its hard to believe you have to retune in the stations when going from freesat to saorview 

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭roadrunnermick

Is there any other alternatives that will have a dual tuner and have no issues with tuner switch
    40 - 50 inch UHD

Cheers

Is there any other alternatives that will have a dual tuner and have no issues with tuner switch
    40 - 50 inch UHD

Cheers
    Hi Roadrunnermick.

There are some LG 43" but they are not freesatHD approved and can have some issues with EPG not displaying correctly.

It seems that even the KS7000 range of Samsung only has the single tuner.

It seems at the moment the starting point for freesat dual tuners is the NEW Panaosnic 50EX750B priced at £1299
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-tx50ex750b/pana-tx50ex750b

Sorry this is not much help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

TVs with a Twin Tuner needs two satellite inputs. Just like a Sky+ or Freesat+ box

Samsung's H6700, JU7000, KS8000 TVs to name a few I know that have twin tuners

TVs with a Twin Tuner needs two satellite inputs. Just like a Sky+ or Freesat+ box

Samsung's H6700, JU7000, KS8000 TVs to name a few I know that have twin tuners
    Hey Mackersdublin.

With the dual tuner on a TV I mean a separate tuner for freeview and a separate tuner for freesat. The 6400 range that we have been talking about is only a single and as mentioned can only store one set of stations at a time, if you want to switch between freeview/saorview and freesat a full re-tune is required every time you switch

The H6700 is an old model and so is the JU7000. Both are discontinued.

Sky boxes, freeview or freesat boxes etc are dual tuner but run from the same signal and do not switch between Satellite and Aerial. They are always one or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Hi.
    I was going to buy the 49 inch samsung ku6400, I have a freeview/saor view box. With the box connected to this tv would it over come the problem having to retune when switching between freeview and saor view?
    Thanks.

gerard2210 wrote: »
    Hi.
    I was going to buy the 49 inch samsung ku6400, I have a  freeview/saor view box. With the box connected to this tv would it over come the problem having to retune when switching between freeview and saor view?
    Thanks.
    Hi Gerard2210.

There is no issue with Freeview and Saorview as they both use the same tuner and no re-tune is required.

The issue lies with the Freeview/saorview and Freesat.

Both freeview and saorview run using an aerial, whereas Freesat uses a satellite dish.

If you have a satellite dish you could tune the TV for freesat and use you box for Saorview and this would do away with the need to re-tune.

Hope this helps clear thing up a bit.

If you have a satellite dish you could tune the TV for freesat and use you box for Saorview and this would do away with the need to re-tune.

Hi Kenny.
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    At the moment I use a combo box for satellite and aerial, fed from the combo box to old tube tv using a scart cable. Will I be able to use the same box with a hdmi cable to get satellite and saorview channels as I do?

Originally posted by Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Kenny.
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    At the moment I use a combo box for satellite and aerial, fed from the combo box to old tube tv using a scart cable. Will I be able to use the same box with a hdmi cable to get satellite and saorview channels as I do?
    Hey Gerard2210.

As long as your combo box has an HDMI output then you will have no issue as you would just use your box as normal through one of the HDMI inputs on the TV. 
    The 40KU6400 does not have any scart sockets.

There would be no need for you to use the on-board tuner unless you really wanted to.

Cheers that clears that up.
    One more thing, which tv would you recommend the samsung ku6400 or the lg 49 uh770 ? Just for watching tv no gaming.
    Thanks

Cheers that clears that up.
    One more thing, which tv would you recommend the samsung ku6400 or the lg 49 uh770 ? Just for watching tv no gaming.
    Thanks
    Hey Gerard2210.

The 49UH770 is a little better over the Samsung.
    The 49UH770 has 2500 PMI over the 40KU6400's 1500 PQI.

49Uh770 uses a 10bit panel with the 6400 only 8 bit. (4K gets the benefit of this).

There is also the jump in size from 40" to 49" and the £300 difference in price.

"I've checked and the 49UH770 may now been finished, as ther eseem to be no more stock booked to arrive with our main warehouse"

The KU6400 range has been one of our most popular ranges of TV and you really can't go wrong with its picture quality.

Thanks again Kenny.
    It was the 49" version of the samsung 6400 I was interested in. Im in Galway how long would delivery take?
    Thanks.

Thanks again Kenny.
    It was the 49"  version of the samsung 6400 I was interested in. Im in Galway how long would delivery take?
    Thanks.
    Hi Gerard2210.

If ordered today or tomorrow morning you would be looking at next Tuesday 2nd for delivery.

Our next delivery leaving our main warehouse would be 27th and due to the weekend and Monday being a bank holiday it would puch the delivery to Tuesday.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks kenny. How do you rate the lg 661 against the samsung 6400? And you definitely dont have the lg 770 in stock?
    I'll probably pull the trigger tomorrow.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Gerard,

the 661 and the 6400 are really similar in specification - but to make life simpler we are also now sold out of the 43UH661 - with only a demo unit left that I would clear at £320 including shipping and our famous 6 year warranty:
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202093-43uh661v.aspx

I also have a last 43UH750 Brand new boxed that I would drop to £499 for you if you were interested
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201925-43uh750v.aspx 

We deffo don't have any 49UH770's left unfortunately :(...

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Hi Gerard,

the 661 and the 6400 are really similar in specification - but to make life simpler we are also now sold out of the 43UH661 - with only a demo unit left that I would clear at £320 including shipping and our famous 6 year warranty:
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202093-43uh661v.aspx

I also have a last 43UH750 Brand new boxed that I would drop to £499 for you if you were interested
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201925-43uh750v.aspx 

We deffo don't have any 49UH770's left unfortunately :(...

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
     Thanks for getting back to me John, im looking for a 49 inch tv. I'll probably go for the samsung 49ku6400. 

Gerard,

great and thanks for that - not too many left - if you want to grab one I'd do it sooner rather than later!

http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202044-ue49ku6400.aspx

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Gerard,

I was being a plonker - we are sold out of the 49UH661 but I do have a few of the 49UH668 ( identical model but the 668 comes supplied with the magic remote):

http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-49UH668V

They are normally £529 - happy to reduce them to the 49UH661 clearance price of £499 if you were interested in this?

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi John.
    Was about to pull the trigger on the lg 661 when I get to sit down later. The 668 would be great at that price. Do I need to pm you?

Hi John.
    Was about to pull the trigger on the lg 661 when I get to sit down later. The 668 would be great at that price. Do I need to pm you?
    Hi Gerard2210,

Sorry it took a while to get back to you.

Send us a PM with your contact details and I can process that order for you.

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.