Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A roommate who smokes hash in rental property

Options
  • 11-04-2017 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey,

So I need some advice. I moved into a house-share about 2 months ago. There have no major issues bar there is one of the tenants- a male, who I believe smokes hash or weed on a daily basis. He is either doing it in his bedroom or burning the stuff up and then out in the garden and the smell comes back into andf goes all round the lower part of the house.

This guy seems to have no hobbies or friends- he spends all his spare time in his room or in the garden smoking weed and it is really starting to bother me. I mentione dit and he has denied this and brought up soemthing petty about me leaving a wash in the machine overnight- trying to deflect from the fact he is a pothead. I cannot abide the smell of that stuff and shouldn't have to live with that.

I am considering contacting the landlord and police. I feel if I say it to the Landlord, he will deny it and resort to attacking me- metnioning a wash being in the machine or a glass being left in the sink. I am busy and am always home late most evenings and the last thing I need to smell is illegal drugs in the home I rent.

If I were to call the police anonymously and the find cannabis in our home or in his room, what will happen? I don't see him voluntarily stopping- I believe he is an addict to this drug as his lifestyle shows- lazy, no social life outside the house, no hobbies. I don't feel I should have to move it either as I have not done anything wrong here.

Advice appreciated. FYI- no-one in the house signed a lease as the landlords (a married couple) are very casual. There is another loser guy who is also weird and spends his life in his room but he doesn;t smoke drugs in or around the house that I have noticed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

babysocks wrote: »
    Hey,

So I need some advice. I moved into a house-share about 2 months ago. There have no major issues bar there is one of the tenants- a male, who I believe smokes hash or weed on a daily basis. He is either doing it in his bedroom or burning the stuff up and then out in the garden and the smell comes back into andf goes all round the lower part of the house.

This guy seems to have no hobbies or friends- he spends all his spare time in his room or in the garden smoking weed and it is really starting to bother me. I mentione dit and he has denied this and brought up soemthing petty about me leaving a wash in the machine overnight- trying to deflect from the fact he is a pothead. I cannot abide the smell of that stuff and shouldn't have to live with that.

I am considering contacting the landlord and police. I feel if I say it to the Landlord, he will deny it and resort to attacking me- metnioning a wash being in the machine or a glass being left in the sink. I am busy and am always home late most evenings and the last thing I need to smell is illegal drugs in the home I rent.

If I were to call the police anonymously and the find cannabis in our home or in his room, what will happen? I don't see him voluntarily stopping- I believe he is an addict to this drug as his lifestyle shows- lazy, no social life outside the house, no hobbies. I don't feel I should have to move it either as I have not done anything wrong here.

Advice appreciated. FYI- no-one in the house signed a lease as the landlords (a married couple) are very casual. There is another loser guy who is also weird and spends his life in his room but he doesn;t smoke drugs in or around the house that I have noticed.

Yeah good luck with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 babysocks

So put up with basically?

So put up with basically?

Yeah pretty much. If he is having a quiet toke in the garden and in his own room then there's nothing you can do about it. As you've said it's not your house, it's a house share, this type of stuff happens. You also described the other guy who may just be a bit introverted as a loser, maybe you're the problem here? If it doesn't suit you, you should move out asap as it's not fair on the two guys. Good luck with everything.

Yeah pretty much. If he is having a quiet toke in the garden and in his own room then there's nothing you can do about it. As you've said it's not your house, it's a house share, this type of stuff happens. You also described the other guy who may just be a bit introverted as a loser, maybe you're the problem here? If it doesn't suit you, you should move out asap as it's not fair on the two guys. Good luck with everything.

Wow so put up with illegal drug smoking- I am a busy person that has hobbies in the evenings and don't and shouldn't have to put up with this in the house. You're obviously a smoker yourself.

They don't own the house either and I am not using it for any illegal activities. Yes, they are losers imo- lazy, pot-smoking losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Wow so put up with illegal drug smoking- I am a busy person that has hobbies in the evenings and don't and shouldn't have to put up with this in the house. You're obviously a smoker yourself.

They don't own the house either and I am not using it for any illegal activities. Yes, they are losers imo- lazy, pot-smoking losers.

You aren't coming across very well here OP and yes if you dislike your housemates this much maybe you should move out?

• Advertisement

Why did you move in with a bunch of 'losers'- should have met your housemates first :rolleyes:

I am looking for advice in a legal sense rather than your opinion on me being the problem- that is ridiculous frankly. I am sure our neighbours with children don't enjoy the smell of the smoke going into their gardens either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

I take it your a young female?? Best thing to do if you dont like it is to move. Gardai wont do anything about someone smoking a bit of weed at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

The police raid idea sounds very sane.

You seem to jump to conclusions about people you don't know at all quite often It's a house share so this is the reality of your situation and to be honest if they're in their rooms most of the time it sounds like you have the run of the place so I don't see a huge problem here. Maybe you need to chill out, go for a smoke with your housemate. As I said good luck again with whatever you decide to do.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

The police would laugh at you if you called them with this type of complaint.

I don't smoke weed but I think if you're living in a house-share you need to relax a bit more or choose your housemates more carefully the next time.

You're judging your housemates with such an attitude that you appear to be the problem.

Unless you were specifically told it was a non-smoking household before you moved in OP I think you'll have to put up with it or leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I'd suggest moving out, you moved in last, and you're the one with all the issues, they probably don't want to live with someone with your horrible attitude either so this way everyone wins.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I am looking for advice in a legal sense rather than your opinion on me being the problem- that is ridiculous frankly. I am sure our neighbours with children don't enjoy the smell of the smoke going into their gardens either.

If you're actually looking for advice in a legal sense, then I don't think an online discussion board is right place to look.

I actually sympathise with your situation but you're posts brandishing your housemates "losers" is not going to garner sympathetic replies.

Unless you were specifically told it was a non-smoking household before you moved in OP I think you'll have to put up with it or leave.

I can't believe the responses- I was told noone smoked inside the house and this is clearly not happening. They are doing illegal activities and I am the one who has the problem.

The attitude towards drugs here is quite shocking. They are also lazy, don't clean but that isn't illegal. I am goign to contact the Landlord and possibly the police. I am looking for a sensible answer here- not bs about me having the problem. Seriosuly- I think they (definitely one of them) is/are being very disrespectful by filling our house with the smell of weed which is revolting and not fair to me as someone who doesn't smoke.

I can't believe the responses- I was told noone smoked inside the house and this is clearly not happening. They are doing illegal activities and I am the one who has the problem.

The attitude towards drugs here is quite shocking. They are also lazy, don't clean but that isn't illegal. I am goign to contact the Landlord and possibly the police. I am looking for a sensible answer here- not bs about me having the problem. Seriosuly- I think they (definitely one of them) is/are being very disrespectful by filling our house with the smell of weed which is revolting and not fair to me as someone who doesn't smoke.

So you're going to contact the LL and the Garda either way, so why come on here? Looking for a load of judgemental biddies like yourself to back you up.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you contact the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

You're absolutely right op, I'd go one step further and report him to the Garda National Drugs and Organised Crime Bureau (+353 1 6669900).

While you're at it get them to check out that other loser fella, he sounds dodgy.

So what hobbies are you in to?

aloooof wrote: »
    If you're actually looking for advice in a legal sense, then I don't think an online discussion board is right place to look.

I actually sympathise with your situation but you're posts brandishing your housemates "losers" is not going to garner sympathetic replies.

They are lazy and do nothing only smoke this crap- which is illegal last time I checked but I am not sure about possession and how this is viewed in a legal sense. I have not lived with pot smokers before and maybe they should have been clear about this beforehand- I was misled. I am well within my rights to contact my Landlord surely?

My attitude is fine- I am a healthy, clean-living person who exercises regularly and don't appreciate a house filled with fumes of cannabis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

"Everyone's a loser baby"

Yeah it would be fairer on the other guys if you moved out. House sharing with randomers is a lottery really.

You can be your bottom dollar that they have their issues with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Feel free to call AGS and see if they will raid in response. Not sure they will take significant steps though.

• Advertisement

They are lazy and do nothing only smoke this crap- which is illegal last time I checked but I am not sure about possession and how this is viewed in a legal sense. I have not lived with pot smokers before and maybe they should have been clear about this beforehand- I was misled. I am well within my rights to contact my Landlord surely?

My attitude is fine- I am a healthy, clean-living person who exercises regularly and don't appreciate a house filled with fumes of cannabis.

You're attitude is not fine. You're judging people because they spend time in their rooms? He's a loser? Maybe he spends time in his room cause he doesn't like the stink of sanctimony coming off you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

babysocks wrote:
    I am looking for advice in a legal sense rather than your opinion on me being the problem- that is ridiculous frankly.

Boards.ie is unable to offer legal advice it's against the charter to ask for it, maybe you should read the charter instead of being so "lazy".

More than you clearly- obviously a smoker yourself. I play football and tag rugby and do voluntary work. Sorry- actually having a busy life is a problem for some on here.

See? There you are judging people again. Awful horrible attitude. Get on with your busy life and stop meddling so.

"Everyone's a loser baby"

Yeah it would be fairer on the other guys if you moved out. House sharing with randomers is a lottery really.

You can be your bottom dollar that they have their issues with you.

I am shocked everyone here thinks filling a house with a non-smoker full of weed smoke is fine and I am being a biddy- wow.

Well if you were told no one smokes inside the house then you can request your roommate smokes outside. Tbh it's none of your business if they smoke or not (or what they smoke) and if you wanted non-smoking roommates you should have made sure of that before you agreed to move in.

Same goes for them being untidy/lazy. These are things you find out about people before you move in with them. Unfortunately it's one of the drawbacks of houseshares, so you should be more careful to find housemates that aren't 'losers' next time. If the landlord is happy with them as tenants then they're not going to get involved because you disapprove of their lifestyle choices.

Next time either move in with people you know meet your standards, or rent a place on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭trobbin

But you are the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

OP the Gardai will only tell you to go speak to your flatmates, have a word with your landlord if you want, but your going to have to realise if your in shared accommodation you will have to put up with different things. Even living with good friends can sometimes be hard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

OP, you’re coming across as being very rude and dismissive in your attitude to your housemates. Calling them losers is really mean, you don’t know what is going on in their lives. You are also coming across as very antagonistic here, which explains the dismissive replies you are getting.

Have you actually tried talking to your housemate about it? Maybe if you had a nice polite conversation and told him the smell of smoke was very strong, he might be more considerate and open a window/go outside. Calling the guards is ridiculous, they are not going to come to the house for some guy smoking a small amount of weed in the house. I would also avoid involving the landlord at this stage, it’s his word against yours. To be honest, as far as bad behaviour by housemates goes, this is pretty mild, you could end up with them being evicted and someone ten times worse. Just have a read through some of the threads here and you’ll get an idea how bad some housemates can be. It sounds like you pretty much have the run of the house if the others stay to their room so it sounds ideal to me!

Have a chat with your housemate before running to the guards or landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Filling a house with weed smoke? Did you not say he smoked it up the garden?

Look, your attitude is awful. Sure, there would be a lingering smell perhaps, but that's not the same thing as filling the house with smoke. And what he does in his own room is his own business.

Why don't you get some scented candles for yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Following a mod review, this thread will not be reopened. Posters are reminded of the forum charter. A number of posts which fell below the standard expected on this forum have been deleted
    Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement