Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armored cable connecting

Options
  • 11-04-2017 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi guys. Couple of questions. I have an armored cable outdoors in the lawn, connected to a separate fuse in the house. When I bought the house the cable was exposed and torn from what I imagine was a lawnmower incident. I want to connect 3 outdoor lights to this.

I need an armored cable joining kit I have been told but what cable will i buy to connect the lights with and do I need a junction box with 1 in from the joining kit and 3 outs? Also I am restoring an outdoor pedestal light. The socket for the bulb has been torn out leaving just a metal tube. What kind of fitting and cable is needed for this. I am handy with diy but not confident enough to go it alone with no advice. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

gnilsiaIRE wrote: »
    Hi guys. Couple of questions. I have an armored cable outdoors in the lawn, connected to a separate fuse in the house. When I bought the house the cable was exposed and torn from what I imagine was a lawnmower incident. I want to connect 3 outdoor lights to this.

I need an armored cable joining kit I have been told but what cable will i buy to connect the lights with and do I need a junction box with 1 in from the joining kit and 3 outs? Also I am restoring an outdoor pedestal light. The socket for the bulb has been torn out leaving just a metal tube. What kind of fitting and cable is needed for this. I am handy with diy but not confident enough to go it alone with no advice. Thanks in advance

Do you need to join the cable because it tore in the middle? Was it not buried at this point? If you just need to terminate it at the point where it tore then you need a SWA gland kit from an electrical store, this connects the outer sheathing of the cable to a gland so it can be earthed correctly.

If you actually want to join the cable, then you would need a resin SWA joint but I would advise to put in a junction box at the break instead with two glands either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gnilsiaIRE

The cable is sticking out of the lawn and is all frayed, not in the middle. I thought I might connect the armored cable to a standard electrical cable and run that to a junction box and split it 3 ways thereafter. Would that be the wrong way to go about it? I think I need a gland kit for that instead of a joining kit going by what your saying ( I have never heard of a gland kit before)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Gate Automation

You will need a submarine joint ;) You can get them on any electrical supplier.

Sub%20Jount.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

gnilsiaIRE wrote: »

This is not really a diy job to be honest. You would be better off getting an electrician to do it. Anyone can make a couple of lights work but to make them work safely,especially in an outdoor area where there is a chance that water can get to the junction, is really a job for someone who knows what they are doing. It might cost you a bit now but I think it would be worth it for the peace of mind.

Advertisement