Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending WiFi using homeplugs

Options
  • 11-04-2017 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭

I already have a tplink homeplug connected to my wireless router which I use for other stuff around the house like TV, NAS box etc. So I want extend my wifi as the signal is pretty bad in the bedroom upstairs. I was wondering if I used this would it just be picking up the wifi signal from the router and boost it or will it connect to the homeplug directly from router? I'm guessing the former which isn't what I want exactly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Depends how you configure it, these devices can work in different modes (repeater vs infrastructure). It should work for you, but you will have to configure it correctly - both wifis should be on same ip subnet with same security settings. Repeater mode is the one that you DO NOT WANT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I bought the following: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Computers-Accessories/TL-WPA4220T-KIT-V1-20-Configuration-Smartphone/B01JYT38P6/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1491914507&sr=8-13&keywords=tp+link

Allows me to direct connect some equipment and also boost signal in area's I want.

I do have some issues in overlapping area. From what I can see the device(mostly Ipad's) are switching between the 2 networks and this causes issues if streaming from youtube etc.

Also if you are using IP telephoney and move around house, you can drop calls as you pass between networks. Not a major issue but better off mentioning

Apart from that works great

Most of the confusion over this is because people keep saying things like "boost the signal" and "range extender". When properly setup this will NOT boost the signal of the first wifi network - rather it creates a second network (which has same name and settings as first). For the end user of course this is effectively the same thing, but the terminology can be confusing. If you think of this setup as having multiple wifi networks it makes a lot more sense.

Issues with switchover can be caused by areas of bad reception in between (places with poor connection to either network), with better overlapping coverage I get no drops when device switches over. There probably is a small delay, but buffering hides this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

This area is a hot technology topic at present and there are many new 'mesh networking' solutions hitting the market.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-mesh-networking-kits/

Hopefully competition means that prices will drop as these solutions tend to be pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Okay so if I'm understanding correctly I would want something like this then? http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/details/cat-18_TL-WPA4220.html
    None of the these extenders mention anything about repeater vs infrastructure unfortunately so its no really clear what the options are for extending range?

• Advertisement

All wifi access points that I have seen offer repeater vs infrastructure mode. All you need to know is NEVER use repeater mode to extend range - even when working correctly it will halve bandwidth available. Maybe these newer wifi mesh thingies will work better, but it's useless with any older devices.

Just setup a second wifi access point, connected to the first via powerline.

Just an extra note on these devices. Note how many of them offer "one touch seamless" setup. This can indeed work well, but only if all your devices are from the same manufacturer. If you have a mix of devices from different manufacturers then you will have to do it manually (which is pretty easy if you know basic networking).

Advertisement