Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Visa

Options
  • 11-04-2017 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I'm going to be in America for 3.5 months this summer, and do not have a visa as such. I have the visa wavier programme, the ESTA, but that is it. This specifies only 90 days in the US.
    Will I be okay travelling for more than 90 days?
    I have returned flight booked.
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

I'm going to be in America for 3.5 months this summer, and do not have a visa as such. I have the visa wavier programme, the ESTA, but that is it. This specifies only 90 days in the US.
    Thank you!

Have some cop on. You will not be 'okay'. Chances are you'll be barred from re-entering America.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Thank you!

If your return flight is booked for over 90 days after arrival, chances are you won't be let in at all. They do check these things you know. If not, it will flag up on departure and you'll never be allowed back. Have you been following the news at all lately? U.S. immigration is no joke

• Registered Users Posts: 25 serendipity i am

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    If your return flight is booked for over 90 days after arrival, chances are you won't be let in at all. They do check these things you know. If not, it will flag up on departure and you'll never be allowed back. Have you been following the news at all lately? U.S. immigration is no joke

Ok, would you mind steering me in the right direction?
    I wont be working, just spending time with family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Ok, would you mind steering me in the right direction?
    I wont be working, just spending time with family.

there is a B2 tourist visa for trips longer than 90 days, maybe you could look into that? Not sure about the processing times though, it might not be ready by the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 serendipity i am

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    there is a B2 tourist visa for trips longer than 90 days, maybe you could look into that? Not sure about the processing times though, it might not be ready by the summer.

Ok, thank you! I will look into this one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Ok, thank you! I will look into this one...

If you are eligible for visa waiver, then I would be surprised if a B2 visa would be approved for you unless you had a very specific reason for staying longer than 90 days. A visa denial will make you ineligible for VWP for a period of time and will have to be declared on any future visa or ESTA application.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Klinger

I strongly suggest, your best option is to change your airline ticket to under 90 days. That way you draw no attention to yourself.  Its not worth it, and I am in a position to know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

3.5 months is only about 2-3 weeks more than the 90 days. Why do you truly need those extra days? If it is something like a family celebration (wedding, major birthday etc) on either end, you may consider doing two trips; the first one for a month or so, come come to Ireland, then go again for another month later in summer. Or, just cut to 88 days return trip (give yourself wiggle room in case of flight delays.

Advertisement