Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel Spreadsheet Formula's Disappear?

Options
  • 11-04-2017 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Ok this is driving me nuts.

I have office 2016. I use spreadsheets for everything. In the last few weeks if I close a spreadsheet and then reopen the formula's don't work

So if I group a section to add up and then total at bottom, it works perfect. Close the spreadsheet and then reopen. If I put in a number the total at bottom does not update. If I click on the total section the formula is still in there but it wont update so I have to delete and input formula again. This is not massively difficult forumla's either, just simple add up column

I created a new spreadsheet and same issue

Reinstalled office and same issue

Licenses is correct and update to date, no software updates available either....any idea's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

There is an option to auto-calc formulas, im sure this has switch off on me previously without me manually changing the setting. You can check it by hitting F9, which will re-calc everything in the sheet, and see if the total updates.

Not sure where the setting is in 2016, but in 2013 its under calculation options, which should be set to automatic

414332.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Lu Tze wrote: »
    There is an option to auto-calc formulas, im sure this has switch off on me previously without me manually changing the setting. You can check it by hitting F9, which will re-calc everything in the sheet, and see if the total updates.

Not sure where the setting is in 2016, but in 2013 its under calculation options, which should be set to automatic

414332.PNG

Motherf**ker

Sorry for my language:P:P. I have wasted hours trying to work that out

Thanks a million.......

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Motherf**ker

Sorry for my language:P:P. I have wasted hours trying to work that out

Thanks a million.......

No probs, im not sure how it gets switched off - used to drive me mental, but it may have something to do with the size of the sheet, or number formulas. I found it happening more so with the bigger sheets (30MB+)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Lu Tze wrote: »
    No probs, im not sure how it gets switched off - used to drive me mental, but it may have something to do with the size of the sheet, or number formulas. I found it happening more so with the bigger sheets (30MB+)

That could be it, I build spreadsheet for everything and some of them are massive. First time this has ever happened but I only recently upgraded to newest version

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    That could be it, I build spreadsheet for everything and some of them are massive. First time this has ever happened but I only recently upgraded to newest version

Yeah its handy to turn of sometimes when they get massive, was modelling 60+ years of data on a daily time step, without it if i changed one parameter and everything updated before being able to change the next one! Could be 5-10 minutes before it finished one update! Moved it to a ramdisk when working on it which sped it up (a little!).

• Advertisement
Advertisement