Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sportives and finisher medals

Options
  • 11-04-2017 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Why don't all sportives offer finisher medals, like other non-cycling events (running, triathlon etc)?
    Audax events allow you to cover the cost of providing one, which I am happy with as it keeps costs down, and it allows you to have a momento of a tough 200/300K challenge.
    I did the Camlough60 in March and they gave out very nice medals, and excellent food, and still it's a charity event.
    I know the WW200 give nice finisher medals.

Does anyone know of other sportives that do the same?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭py

The Reservoir Dog/Pup had magnificent medals last September.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

In my opinion medals are an utter waste. Unless I come in the top 3 of a race would I like a medal.
    Keep costs down, keep things simple, provide good grub and good stewards and that's all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Great Dublin Bike Ride does medals.

I think that if it's a big/popular/challenging sportif then there might be a case to have an optional medal. Something that you click yes to when registering and pay a fee for.

When I first started cycling I loved the free stuff and goodie bags. But now my drawer is stuffed with jerseys and buffs and tshirts that don't get worn. I can see the attraction to a new cyclist/a challenging sportif you're doing for the first time, but when I got my first GDBR (60km distance) I had already completed a 200km cycle. It seemed a bit... meh.

That's not to take away from anyone's achievements. Everyone is fantastic for taking part and pushing themselves. But I felt a bit of a fraud for doing a route that barely had me break a sweat.

However I love the medal I got for my triathlon last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 a_shed

Think you're missing the point run_forrest_run, sportives are not races, so there is no top 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

a_shed wrote: »
    Why don't all sportives offer finisher medals, like other non-cycling events (running, triathlon etc)?
    Audax events allow you to cover the cost of providing one, which I am happy with as it keeps costs down, and it allows you to have a momento of a tough 200/300K challenge.
    I did the Camlough60 in March and they gave out very nice medals, and excellent food, and still it's a charity event.

Not all Triathlons do, they have become more popular as the sport becomes more "mainstream" and opens to the wider group of people looking to achieve the milestone of completing rather than racing the national circuit.

As for sportives there is a mixture of some wanting to keep the price as low as possible or donating all proceeds to charity vs those that are commercial ventures or those that are aimed at the more general public such as the Dublin Bike ride which is targeted towards getting Joe Soap up on the bike.

If someone wants to do a sportive and get a medal there are plenty they can choose from to do if that is the draw but others target a different audience or have a different marketing tehcnique

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I can see why some people want a souvenir and why others think they are a waste. If you do want one, the Westportif has a nice one. I'd attach a picture but I seem to have mislaid mine. It's in the shape of a chainring so if you sharpened it a bit it would double as a ninja throwing star.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Medals are a waste of time IMO I do like the DCT medal though but I have a number of them at home and other than race day I don't think I've looked at them since.

Last year at the outlaw half they gave out paper weights (eventually) totally random.

On the tour de burren they gave out a bag which although crap quality has been used several times since. I'd prefer this over anything else. I do like the medal on the big events Mick Byrne and WW200 for nostalgia alone but probbaly another one to be lost in the closet.

I think for a charity sportive I'd rather see all monies going to the charity but in saying that an awful lot of people sign up for the bling and generally it's crowds you need to be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think I like a medal, and to be honest just a poxy cert from the RoK kinda pee'd me off after the hassle and cost of getting into that sportive. A few of the tri's I've done/ am doing have the T shirt optional, but I generally go for it (as I did for the WW200 and RoK jersey's).

I liked the WW200 medal as well, but then they gave the same medal to those that did the 100. They didn't earn it! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

HivemindXX wrote: »
    I can see why some people want a souvenir and why others think they are a waste. If you do want one, the Westportif has a nice one. I'd attach a picture but I seem to have mislaid mine. It's in the shape of a chainring so if you sharpened it a bit it would double as a ninja throwing star.

Sounds nice, and vain that I am I do love a nice bit of bling after a hard day out.
    Apart from the aforementioned Reservoir Dog, the Etape Hibernia had a pretty nice medal too, and I'm quite fond of my sole audax medal. It does kind of nark me at times that the relatively few hard fought for medals I've won in competitive sport all look pretty poxy by comparison to some of the nicer medals I've got for participation events but such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

What do ye do with the medals afterwards, are they on display at home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

no medals
    awesomely organized event
    €15.
    keep the cost down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

These things usually depend on how often you do/have done this kind of event.

One sportive a year? You probably want a souvenir of some sort

First few you do? Ditto

Because, for those people, finishing feels like an accomplishment and they like to have a tangible reminder/recognition of that accomplishment.

After you've finished a few sportives, finishing another one doesn't seem so important, so people tend to care less about getting a reward.

(why medals? because medals are cheap and easy to buy in)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Don't want medals sportives are too expensive as it is
    Give me a well signed route and a veggie sandwich at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I have the GDBR 16 medal and my event number on my memory board. It means something to me as it was my first sportive, and holds a sense of achievement with it.

I'm sure it will get to a point where it is just another event, and the souvenir will not be as important, but the first is special enough.

Plastik wrote: »

Old tupperware box that is also used for spare change and other bits of random junk left lying around. Some of the blingy ones are being worn by various of my daughters teddys around the house and in the attic. Who knew Winnie the Pooh finished the WW200 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

a_shed wrote: »

The w200 medals are awful school sports day type things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

My kids like getting medals for kids runs etc(they are aged 6&8). I think it's great for them to encourage them etc etc.
    I as an adult however don't want to come home from a sportive with more shi+e than I brought with me whether it be medals jerseys bags, bags of shi+e,gels, bum cream etc etc!
    (Although I've never actually gotten bum cream in a goodie bag ;) )
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

The Ring Of Beara medal is a nice piece of kit.

I have a wall in the Garage where I put any memorabilia from any sportive I do up it's a nice reminder

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm much more interested in getting something to eat at the end of a sportive to power me home than a medal or certificate (which I find a bit embarrassing to be presented with).

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Plastik wrote: »
    I tend to lend mine to a museum.......

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I'd imagine you'd need a quarry working overtime for a Paris-Roubaix sportive.

Had a look and you can get a cobblestone souvenir trophy!
    http://www.parisroubaixchallenge.com/en/the-race/registrations

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

sullivlo wrote: »
    Everyone is fantastic for taking part and pushing themselves.
    No they're not. They're just doing a hobby that they enjoy.

I find supermarket shopping a total PITA. It takes a lot of motivation to get it done but results in my family being able to eat. Should Tesco be handling out medals at the till? Round of applause as I return the trolley?

I've done some running events and the amount of spectator clapping is embarrassing. You'd think I was carrying a child from a burning building, not just doing a totally normal thing for a human.

The whole thing seems feeble-minded.

I know lots of people give out about medals, but that's the first time I've heard a complaint about spectators clapping!

Your "Internet grump 2017" award is in the post

RayCun wrote: »
    Certificate or medal?

1593.1L.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

The whole medal thing is very embarrassing from non-competitive style events....

Just as an aside, there was a thread about goodie bags/ t's on the tri forum. The clubs defend the price of entry to pay for the goodies as saying it's the one off's box tickers that they make their money.

As to whether you value you medals certs etc. I suppose it also depends on where you are coming from. First WW200 does mean something to me. Not sure the second one would. I'm sure the attraction will wear off as I do more events. It didn't enter my head after the 3 Peaks the other week whether there was one or not.

I'd 100% take the treasure a trophy/ medal/ Strava kudos' if I did the Roubaix Challenge, or the Flanders sportif though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

RayCun wrote: »
    I know lots of people give out about medals, but that's the first time I've heard a complaint about spectators clapping!

He probably doesn't want that either. Something to do with it just being a hobby he enjoys...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Lumen wrote: »
    .... the amount of spectator clapping is embarrassing. You'd think I was carrying a child from a burning building, not just doing a totally normal thing for a human.

The whole thing seems feeble-minded.

Having been woken up after being out on the beer (both) mornings that the "ironman " cycle passed our house by the neighbours kids, we cheered and clapped every participant along. Pro to Fred, we got many more waves back than "don't look at them you'll crash".

Each to their own but I certainly wouldn't tell someone not to bother supporting someone else's achievements, even if to them it's normal.

Back on topic, I use my L'Eroica beer bottle opener medal probably all too frequently. But I wouldn't dismiss an event if they didn't give medals. The Raid Pyrenees medal is totally not worth it compared to the event.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Should Tesco be handling out medals at the till?

Don't know about Tesco, but tougher venues like IKEA most certainly. A full circuit there in the 'peloton' at the regulation 1.5kph demands some pretty serious stamina. Won't be doing that again. :pac:

Advertisement