Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bib Shorts

Options
  • 11-04-2017 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Looking to invest/upgrade bib-shorts in advance of some long distance events this summer, budget is € 130-150, I know there are a huge range currently available but I have narrowed it down to the following -
    Castelli Inferno bib-shorts @ € 149
    Sportful Super Total Comfort @ € 155
    Santini Sleek Plus bib-shorts @ € 130

Any thoughts would be appreciated or have I missed another manufacturer worth considering in the price range.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

La Passione bibs would be worth a look I think. Italian made, super quality and a little bit cheaper due to their direct sales model.

The only bit of Castelli kit I own is a Gabba and I think it's one of the best bits of kit I've ever owned, so they're probably not a bad shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i've a pair of Louis Garneau bib shorts which i think are fantastic. i specifically chose them because they've a slightly longer leg and i wanted them to ride closer to the knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

Miklos wrote: »
    La Passione bibs would be worth a look I think. Italian made, super quality and a little bit cheaper due to their direct sales model.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Castelli Free Aero are excellent as are DHB Aeron (which are considerably cheaper)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Looking to invest/upgrade bib-shorts in advance of some long distance events this summer, budget is € 130-150, I know there are a huge range currently available but I have narrowed it down to the following -
    Castelli Inferno bib-shorts @ € 149
    Sportful Super Total Comfort @ € 155
    Santini Sleek Plus bib-shorts @ € 130

Any thoughts would be appreciated or have I missed another manufacturer worth considering in the price range.

What size are you looking for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

XL

XL

You could try the following, which are a bargain at the price, including delivery. They are usually closer to 130-145

https://redwhitenl.com/products/de-bibs?variant=20436895943

I'm 31-32 waist and S fitted me perfectly. You can read about them here https://www.redwhite.cc/the-bibs/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

There's not much to choose between any of those and you'll not go wrong with them. I have a lot of Sportful and some Castelli stuff and it is all excellent. Wiggles DHB stuff is great too, for a lot less money, tho I dont have their bibs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

XL

Have a pair of Santini Edge. Find them excellent. They are on sale now while waiting for the new upversion to come in.

The blurb says they're team issue without the logos. I find them very comfortable.

https://www.prendas.co.uk/products/santini-edge-v1-bibshorts-team-issue-nat

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Have had lots over the years and La Passione are my current favorites, great quality and fit. Our club gear is Verge and that is great too. Santini is good though maybe not as good now as in the past. Castelli great but sizing is on the small side. Rapha are very good too if dear !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Assos as well: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mens/?s=assos+bib&o=2

have a pair of La Passione shorts and they are comfortable. but the pad is much thicker that other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

You could try the following, which are a bargain at the price, including delivery. They are usually closer to 130-145

https://redwhitenl.com/products/de-bibs?variant=20436895943

I'm 31-32 waist and S fitted me perfectly. You can read about them here https://www.redwhite.cc/the-bibs/

Wow...that's seriously cheaper than redwhite's usual website, where the bibs are 125....

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

brownian wrote: »
    Wow...that's seriously cheaper than redwhite's usual website, where the bibs are 125....

Tried ordering them - 18 Euro delivery despite saying free delivery to Europe on the site. Emailed them and they said free delivery doesn't apply to reduced items, but that they were still good value at 103.
    Didn't go through with the order then.

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Tried ordering them - 18 Euro delivery despite saying free delivery to Europe on the site. Emailed them and they said free delivery doesn't apply to reduced items, but that they were still good value at 103.
    Didn't go through with the order then.

They were a bargain at 103! I'd happily pay that if they had S in stock.

They are usually 150ish or 125 stg. And if you order from them RedWhite direct, you'd get stung for customs etc (or you would have when I looked into over a year ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

Can i ask, what would be the difference between the bibs discussed above and the ones found on the likes of planet x, I've been using these for a while and.havent found anything wrong with them...Just curious. Thanks

Nanoc wrote: »
    Can i ask, what would be the difference between the bibs discussed above and the ones found on the likes of planet x, I've been using these for a while and.havent found anything wrong with them...Just curious. Thanks

There could be many differences but if you like your shorts and they are comfy, then stick with them.

The ones I linked to could be classed as "Endurance" shorts. Like 7+ hours in the saddle. The pad is quite thick and technically designed for "all day" comfort. I'd use them for the W200 etc.

I have a pair of Assos shorts too, and much like my old Dyson hoover, I was very underwhelmed. I'm nearly sure you are paying quite the premium for the brand name.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

I've never found a pair of bibs that I find comfortable for long days in the saddle. So I changed saddle thinking that might be the problem but despite the Brooks B17 getting rave reviews, I still get a sore arse every time I go out. Tried DHB, Sportful, Castelli, Galibier but no luck. I end up cycling standing up for longish periods just for relief. I get very envious listening to you guys saying you find a particular brand comfortable when I just get the sore posterior every flipping time. And before anyone says it, I've had a bike fit done years ago with Aidan Hammond so it's not my cycling position that's causing me grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Spudgun

I like the Endura shorts I find them very comfortable on long rides
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/endura-fs260-pro-ii-bib-shorts-aw16/rp-prod71001

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Spudgun wrote: »
    I like the Endura shorts I find them very comfortable on long rides
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/endura-fs260-pro-ii-bib-shorts-aw16/rp-prod71001

These are going for decent price on wiggle at the moment. Differing pad width options.
    Tempted by them

Anyone know what the sizing is like? Compared to galibier would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm quite lucky in that I find bugger all difference between my cheapest AliExpress shorts which were under €20 delivered and my Castelli Free-Aero or DHB Aeron or Altura Pro-Gel. They are all comfortable no matter how long I'm in the saddle for. The only difference in them is that the more expensive shorts have a better cut and fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

I've got some mid level Castelli and Assos shorts which have served me well for some decent 100Km+ spins provided the terrain doesn't get too rough (think Blessington's Lake Drive or south descent of Sally Gap). Over that sort of terrain it just really effects my comfort. On good roads, they're as comfortable as can be.

Alanbt wrote: »
    These are going for decent price on wiggle st the moment. Differing pad width options.
    Tempted by them

Anyone know what the sizing is like? Compared to galibier would be great!

I'd be an S (with M pad) in them (31-33) and an M (30-32) in Galibier, if that helps.
    D13exile wrote: »
    I've never found a pair of bibs that I find comfortable for long days in the saddle. So I changed saddle thinking that might be the problem but despite the Brooks B17 getting rave reviews, I still get a sore arse every time I go out. Tried DHB, Sportful, Castelli, Galibier but no luck. I end up cycling standing up for longish periods just for relief. I get very envious listening to you guys saying you find a particular brand comfortable when I just get the sore posterior every flipping time. And before anyone says it, I've had a bike fit done years ago with Aidan Hammond so it's not my cycling position that's causing me grief.

I think most people get a bit of a "sore" hoop tbh. Which is different from proper arse pain!
    Arse pain (IMO) would be if your saddle is wrong etc, and would kick in with a short spin on the bike. Thankfully, bar when I started cycling, I only suffered proper arse pain once, when I tried a 147mm wide saddle at the recommendation of others, while I was looking for the Holy Grail of saddles. I think it was a Prologo Kappa something or other. I did 12km to work on it and I had to pull up about 2km from work in total agony with me hoop.

Turned out I need a thin saddle. So I mostly use a Selle Italia X1 @ 135mm or so.

I still get a sore arse though at about 105-125km I think after that the nerve endings give up :)

The old adage "prevention is better than cure" helps a lot. There is no point waiting until you have a really sore arse to start getting out of the saddle. Start getting out of the saddle early in the ride, up climbs, downhills, gel break, whatever.

I gave up looking for the Holy Grail of saddles, I hope to luckbox it one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I think you have missed the best of them all - Giordana. Made in house in Italy. I have tried many including the brands you listed, but when I am to go for a long spin I always grab one of my old Giordana shorts. The newer models have even better pads or just as good as the old ones (like the FR series).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Seweryn wrote: »
    I think you have missed the best of them all - Giordana. Made in house in Italy. I have tried many including the brands you listed, but when I am to go for a long spin I always grab one of my old Giordana shorts. The newer models have even better pads or just as good as the old ones (like the FR series).

Yeah I bought a Giordana Silverline pair a good while back which were class.

Having said that, I think though that shorts & their pads are quite an individual thing in terms of what suits who.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

pelevin wrote: »
    I think though that shorts & their pads are quite an individual thing in terms of what suits who.
    True, but I believe they do not have the same individuality type fit as saddles do.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dragon101

i have a Castelli Inferno pair. i think they are great - but they are all I know! I'm medium in their size and I'm a slender frame if that helps sizing at all.

Advertisement