Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Balance increased over 18 months

• 11-04-2017 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Requested a balance statement on our mortgage and the balance owed was higher than what it was 19 months ago... This alarmed me and I requested an explanation from the bank.
    The bank advised me that during this time, our account had been on forbearance for a period of 5 months of C&I moratorium + 7 months interest only. The increase in the balances was due to interest being charged to the account.

So am I right in saying that if you go on a full moratorium on your mortgage, banks will increase the balance owed by interest charges?
    I'm not massively financially savvy, but this seems somewhat wrong.

Comments

Unless you explicitly agreed with your bank that no further interest would be charged to your account, then yes I would expect the amount you owe to be increased by the interest being charged on the mortgage during a payment break.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Unless you explicitly agreed with your bank that no further interest would be charged to your account, then yes I would expect the amount you owe to be increased by the interest being charged on the mortgage during a payment break.

Nope! and that wasn't explained to me at the time either. Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

Yes, that is totally correct, during the moratorium the interest still accrues. You are charged interest on a daily basis on the amount outstanding, the amount wasn't going down as you had a break from payments so neither the capital nor the interest was being paid for that time so this increases the outstanding balance.

Interest only, rather than a moratorium, would mean the outstanding balance would remain stationery as you would be paying the interest on it each month and just not the balance.

Advertisement