Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leylandii- use to suppress weeds?

Options
  • 11-04-2017 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Our neighbour had two monster leylandii trees at the end of the garden (see photo). Hate them. Anyway, can I use the considerable deposit of needles to suppress weeds between plants?

Have used around base of blueberry bush (see photo) but not sure I should use more generally. The needles are in various stages of decomposition on the concrete apron around the shed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Gangu wrote: »
    Our neighbour had two monster leylandii trees at the end of the garden (see photo). Hate them. Anyway, can I use the considerable deposit of needles to suppress weeds between plants?

Have used around base of blueberry bush (see photo) but not sure I should use more generally. The needles are in various stages of decomposition on the concrete apron around the shed.
    Id hazard a guess that they are acidic

I'd be concerned they would introduce seeds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

leylandii seeds? they grow from cuttings, not seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Gangu

leylandii seeds? they grow from cuttings, not seeds.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Gangu

Id hazard a guess that they are acidic

I guessed that too. That's why I've used them around the blueberry and raspberry cane. We're on the coast. Would I be able to use in general beds though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when i shredded my leylandii, i left the cuttings to rot down on the soil. doesn't seem to have done it too much damage certainly. plenty of stuff growing there now (i planted a miniature woodland in its place).

Advertisement