Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigrating & leaving property empty. How best to secure property?

Options
  • 11-04-2017 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭

I'll be leaving the country in a few weeks on a 2 year contract and the plan is to leave my house empty. Any tips on how best to secure the property from damage - vandalism or natural? It's a 3 bed terraced house in an estate in Dublin.

I had tenants before when I was away for three years, but it isn't worth the hassle and cost of renting out again. Boarding up the property seems a bit extreme so was wondering what people generally do to secure an empty property when leaving for a long period

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

ParkRunner wrote: »
    I'll be leaving the country in a few weeks on a 2 year contract and the plan is to leave my house empty. Any tips on how best to secure the property from damage - vandalism or natural? It's a 3 bed terraced house in an estate in Dublin.

I had tenants before when I was away for three years, but it isn't worth the hassle and cost of renting out again. Boarding up the property seems a bit extreme so was wondering what people generally do to secure an empty property when leaving for a long period

Get a friend or family member move in on a caretaker agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your insurance company will likely have a checklist of things they want done.

Be aware that if the power is off for that long, you will pay a substantial fee for reconnection.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I would say you can't.

You could install an obvious surveillance system but that is about it. I think tenants would be less hassle in the long run.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Most insurance policies I've seen will at least have a list of risks that won't be covered after a specified period of non-occupancy.

I had tenants before when I was away for three years, but it isn't worth the hassle and cost of renting out again.

Theres something seriously messed up in this country if the above is true.

OP, imagine you come back after 2 years away and find the house has a 2 resident squatters in it. They've ripped out most of the plumbing to sell and have started ripping up the floorboards to burn for heat. It then takes a 6 month long courtcase to get them out. I don't know what costs and hassles you had when you rented before but its surely better than that potential nightmare.

Have you no friends who you could let live there rent free?

• Advertisement

OP, imagine you come back after 2 years away and find the house has a 2 resident squatters in it. They've ripped out most of the plumbing to sell and have started ripping up the floorboards to burn for heat. It then takes a 6 month long courtcase to get them out. I don't know what costs and hassles you had when you rented before but its surely better than that potential nightmare.

There are plenty of landlords who have been through almost that exact scenario with tenants.

You should definitely go down the caretaker route, someone you trust who will live in it and look after it.
    The way things are with squatters now, i wouldn't chance it.
    I've done it myself in the past and it worked out very well, i had a couple of years to save and the owner had the place well looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Have you no friends who you could let live there rent free?

I have family who are willing to call over to the property the odd time and keep an eye on it, do minor upkeep like cut grass & check post etc, but it doesn't suit anyone to live in it full time.

I don't think it's worthwhile renting out given the costs associated with renting out, tax due on income & cost of any repairs/changes after tenants have moved out. Was planning to stay in the house myself too on occasional trips home.

If it wasn't my family home I would consider renting it out, but even with an agent managing previous tenancies, the cost in terms of time and money trying to do it properly has me convinced to leave it empty this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Would the council be interested in a 2 year lease?

bubblypop wrote: »
    You should definitely go down the caretaker route, someone you trust who will live in it and look after it.
    The way things are with squatters now, i wouldn't chance it.
    I've done it myself in the past and it worked out very well, i had a couple of years to save and the owner had the place well looked after.

I didn't even know there was such a service, sounds like the best route to go down alright!

• Advertisement

I didn't even know there was such a service, sounds like the best route to go down alright!

There isnt really such a service. He means organise someone to be the caretaker yourself. Leaving the property empty is a really bad idea.

There isnt really such a service. He means organise someone to be the caretaker yourself. Leaving the property empty is a really bad idea.

There is actually such a service. It appeared to do very well during the slump where people were caretaking all sorts of properties from houses to hotels, commercial buildings etc.

Asking somebody you personally know/trust is probably a better route.

Added:
    Camelot Europe were the vacant property service company in/out of the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I went through this myself when I moved out last year. Insurance companies would only cover a few risks, excluding deliberate damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

get an agent and do Airbnb.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

If you want I'll housesit for you, rent free, so no tax implications! (though I do come with a dog...) :D
    I've a similar problem myself, work in Dublin, gorgeous home in rural Cork.
    Have had no end of trouble with housemates/renting down there, (the last one rearranged the house during her 10 day tenure last month) so I no longer advertise it as it really is not worth the hassle.
    In seriousness your best bet would be a trusted caretaker friend to look after it for free, and if you want extra cash they can sublet the rooms.
    Having a mostly empty house myself, it still costs money to maintain. You really have to watch out for damp, so the heating has to go on very regularly, and the electricity has to be maintained.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

For insurance ,piece of mind etc .You need someone there to mind the house .

Sleepy wrote: »
    Would the council be interested in a 2 year lease?
    get an agent and do Airbnb.

Renting the property didn't really work out before, the costs involved leave little profit & take up too much time. Agents I had before were not reliable either and I successfully took a case against them to the PSRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Renting the property didn't really work out before, the costs involved leave little profit & take up too much time. Agents I had before were not reliable either and I successfully took a case against them to the PSRA.

AIR bnb isn't really renting. And a friend or family member would be able to run it for you-split the profits...

I'd recommend against the Airbnb route if you're abroad.
    I also have a garage conversion beside the main house down in Cork and do Airbnb that way.
    Luckily I have a housekeeper who is extremely close by, but if you can't get someone to live in the house full time and don't want hassle, then it is unlikely this would suit you. There is a tremendous amount of work involved in contacting guests, doing changeovers, making sure everything is ok and then having to sort tax too!
    For an easy life get a rent free friend in who will cover the bills and keep the house in a fit state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Hi OP, you will find it very difficult to get insurance on a vacant house as one of the conditions is that you have someone inspecting it externally and internally at least weekly. I have a vacant house for past 7 years as working abroad, this is what I have done to protect it from break in, trusted neighbours watch it, I keep timer lights on especially during the winter months, water is turned off and all wall ventilators are kept open to prevent dampness, I keep car parked outside, lawns and garden maintained regularly. Thankfully house has never been touched. Like others have said, it's in an area of rent shortages but I have no appetite to become a landlord, know too many people whose houses were wrecked by Tennant's and read too many horror stories on here to even consider contemplate letting it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Are your particularity attached to the house? Could you sell it? Bit of a gamble with regards the market but at least you don't need to worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Its true. I moved for a couple of years and rented.. cost me a fortune and damaged my relationship with the neighbor.

If I had my time again I would leave it empty.

Are your particularity attached to the house? Could you sell it? Bit of a gamble with regards the market but at least you don't need to worry about it.

Not particularly attached to it but I bought at a good time so mortgage repayments are low, otherwise I'd have no choice but to rent it out. Long term plan is to sell it but it was bought under the affordable housing scheme so clawback comes into it. It wouldn't make sense to sell now when I will be coming back in 2 years (unless contract is extended) and will need somewhere to live in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Even if the house is in a really bad estate in Dublin you are giving up 28-30K of income here
    Even taxed if at the top rate and you have no deductibles that is a min 15K cash you are walking away from !

Get an agent in and I guarantee the house will be in better shape when you return than if you leave it alone and to boot not only are you being a good citizen releasing a property in the middle of a property crisis you will have several thousands of Euros Cash waiting for you too when you return.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

You will be lucky to find anywhere that will insure a completely vacant property. It will be classed as derelict. However if you can get someone to stay there 3 nights a week it will be classed as lived in.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Undercover

Seems bonkers to leave it sitting empty. Do you not have any friends / relatives saving for a mortgage that would be happy to housesit given the mutual benefits?

knipex wrote: »
    Its true. I moved for a couple of years and rented.. cost me a fortune and damaged my relationship with the neighbor.

If I had my time again I would leave it empty.

I agree. I played a Janus role for many years, trying to be a kindly landlady plus good tenant. Got burnt so many times from both sides I became a conscientious objector,so no longer either!

(Though I have looked after friends gaffs and that did work out alright - so do have experience if you want to recruit a house-sitter from Boards)

Hey, we could set-up a match-making property thread, have a spare house or looking for a reliable place to stay?
    Don't want hassle with tax? Lets swap/trade/freecycle! ;)
    I think it could work. :rolleyes:

Even if the house is in a really bad estate in Dublin you are giving up 28-30K of income here
    Even taxed if at the top rate and you have no deductibles that is a min 15K cash you are walking away from !

Get an agent in and I guarantee the house will be in better shape when you return than if you leave it alone and to boot not only are you being a good citizen releasing a property in the middle of a property crisis you will have several thousands of Euros Cash waiting for you too when you return.

15k is very optimistic given pre and post rental costs, repairs & maintenance, tax and USC on income and time spent managing the tenancy or keeping an eye on an agent - I have yet to meet a good agent.
    Undercover wrote: »
    Seems bonkers to leave it sitting empty. Do you not have any friends / relatives saving for a mortgage that would be happy to housesit given the mutual benefits?

Most of my friends have their own houses/family. Family and neighbour will check on the house occasionally and it will be there for occasional visits home. A tenancy could go wonderfully but it could be a complete disaster - it's not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

You'd be a non resident then and it'd be at 20% tax not the top rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

It isn't even 20%.

You pay your income in your country of residence.
    If you are going to a low tax country it is less. If you are going to a higher tax country you pay more.

In Ireland you just need to appoint a rent receiver otherwise the tenant is obliged to deduct 20% for Tax.

I emigrated and sold up as I didn't consider the house as somewhere I'd be coming back to. If I was coming back to Ireland I'd need to be coming back to something "better".

Also, I had plenty of expensive furnishing and fittings which I knew a tenant would not care for so didn't want to rent on that ground either.

If you are in a low tax country I recommend you consider renting as it is probably financially beneficial to you and it is a shame to leave a habitable building vacant.

Advertisement