Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External storage recommendation?

• 11-04-2017 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭

Hi,

This could be more suitable in different forum but asking here as it's specifically for photography storage/backup.

I'm looking for good, reliable external storage to use as a backup for my photos. Any recommendations please?

Budget- would like to keep to under €100 but willing to spend double that if needed.
    needs a power source or not- not needing ideally

Storage space: 500GB or 1 TB.

Thanks,
    Patrick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

For my principal backup I use LaCie in RAID formation.

For additional backup - ususally just RAW files once a year - and for copying/moving files on location, I use Samsung 500Gb and 1Tb USB powered drives.

Fingers crossed, I have never had a drive failure.

My long term backup is almost exclusively RAW files for two reasons;

1. Space

2. Processing software is improving all the time. I prefer to return to an old file, and look at it afresh with the latest software. I use Capture 1 and Hasselblad Phocus.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Assuming this won’t be the only copy of the photos then something simple like a Western Digital External Hard Drive is all you need. I had a quick look on amazon and the 1TB is about €65 and the 2TB is about €105.

Personally, I like to keep three physical copys, the first on my desktop, the second on an external hard drive at home and a third on an external hard drive that I leave at a friend’s house. I keep his backup in my house and vice versa and we update them about twice a month, in the mean time I can always copy important stuff into cloud storage.

Advertisement