Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complex Migration to new Dell XPS 9560

Options
  • 11-04-2017 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    I recently took delivery of a new Dell XPS 9560. Before I start to use it as my main computer, I want to minimise as much as possible, the need to rely on the computer itself as the central location for all my files and would like to keep as much as possible in the cloud, with Google where possible, for free :D, then be able to access and sync pretty much everything between the laptop and my Gmail account / phone so that if anything happens either the laptop or the phone, that I can just pick up where I left off with no big interference.

The laptop I've been using for the last few years is the XPS L502X. I've been using SugarSync to keep a backup of random files and folders and LastPass to keep passwords for everything, but the main challenge has been my email.

For the last 10+ years I've been using Thunderbird to manage email, all with POP3, so all the email and account info is stored locally.

I understand a switch to IMAP should sync everything up, but it's a little more complicated in that I have several different email accounts, some with thousands of emails, others just associated with domains I'm yet to use and may want to let others access too. Some accounts also have a tree of folders to better organise their emails.

Here is an example of the accounts:

personal@eircom.net:
    My oldest account with eircom

info@businessaccount.ie
    hosted with blacknight, has several folder trees

info@myname.com
    hosted with blacknight, want to use it for more official personal stuff

info@newideadomain1.com
    hosted with blacknight, several of these some not in proper use

I do not access my personal gmail account through Thunderbird.

I understand Gmail should be able to manage these accounts and I've been thinking. The personal eircom account is just for my use so have no problem linking this to my personal@gmail.com account, the same goes for the info@myname,com domain, but the business and the new idea accounts (which there are several of) may be best suited to their own gmail account. The business account I have is however already associated with my personal gmail account for the likes of Google+, youtube etc.

I'm thinking to set up a new gmail account for each of the "newideadomain.com" accounts as I believe I can add several different gmail accounts to the one phone?

So I think the end result would be to have a few different gmail accounts and have the emails sync between these accounts with IMAP and that any mail I send will be seen as being sent from @domain and not @gmail.

I'm hoping to achieve all this without any monthly fees as there's going to be a good few newideadomain I'll want to have going and all the rest and it could end up costing me a lot for what I think I should be able to achieve for free.

I want to then be able to user Thunderbird as I use it currently, but just with all the emails being synced to my phone and anything I send from my phone etc being viewable from Thunderbird immediately too.

If anyone has experience in setting up IMAP/GMAIL and all the synching and everything in between, I'd really appreciated any feedback.

I'd be happy to pay for someone to come and help me set all this up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

well thats a long post,think this is what your looking for :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HSfjFVW2zA

or simillar options just google gmail sync with domain,theres quite few services that are paid for quality but few free options as well to achieve your goal to send emails using gmail account via domains.

not sure about soft ur using to sync it,but should be achievable by giving gmail pop3 /imap addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Background: My gMail receives 5 other accounts

The gMail solution really doesnt scale. once you get to a certain number of labels the system breaks down. And labels in gmail dont directly translate to folders in clients, so the metaphor between Outlook/Thunderbird and google totally breaks down.

Keep them separate, find a good mobile client that can manage multi account well, use Thunderbird and let IMAP do the grunt work.

Additionally, for backup I'd use http://www.mailstore.com/ so if you ever cancel/lose access to one of the mailservers your back catalogue is organised and indexed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies folks, I spoke to the ever helpful blacknight support in chat and understand a lot more about imap now, conversation here for anyone else who may be interested :
    1:53:43 PM: Cormac: Hi there, I'm thinking to change my email from pop to IMAP and was looking for some advice and info please
    1:53:43 PM: * Welcome Cormac! Your request has been directed to the TECHNICAL SUPPORT - technical queries about existing services or hosting plans department. Please wait for our operator to answer your call.
    1:53:54 PM: * Call accepted by operator Liam. Currently in room: Liam, Cormac.
    1:54:12 PM: Liam: Hi Cormac, what would you like to know?
    1:56:54 PM: Cormac: Hi Liam,
    So I use Thunderbird at the moment to manage about 6 different accounts, one is an eircom account, the rest are hosted on blacknight. First question, can I associate the eircom address with my blacknight account in any way?
    1:57:52 PM: Liam: Not really, only in the sense that you could forward e-mail to the eircom account if you wanted.
    1:58:23 PM: Cormac: you mean from the eircom account?
    1:59:07 PM: Cormac: The end goal is to have all my emails accessible anywhere, without needing to be logged into a computer where they have to be locally stored, so in the cloud I guess, does IMAP achieve this?
    2:00:57 PM: Liam: Yeah, IMAP achieves that. As long as any device connecting to the account is using IMAP, a full copy of e-mail will be retained on the server.
    2:03:56 PM: Cormac: ok, so take for example, one account I have, I would have it set up similar to this:

INBOX
    >>read and replied
    >>>UK
    >>>EUROPE
    >>confirmed jobs
    >>unconfirmed
    DRAFTS
    TEMPLATES
    SENT

So when an email comes into my inbox, once I reply to it, I will put it in one of the inbox subfolders, if I do this on one machine, will it sync to reflect that move everywhere connected with IMAP?
    2:05:57 PM: Liam: Provided the folder you move it to is synced with the server and is not just a local folder, then yes, it will do the move for all devices.
    2:07:52 PM: Cormac: ok, and in the case with blacknight, the server is blacknight itself, yeah? So what kind of limits would be on each account and is it limit per email address, or limit per subscription package? My thunderbird folder is about 13GB with one account in particular being about half of this.
    2:08:17 PM: Cormac: I think about 40,000 emails between READ AND REPLIED and SENT in this account in particular.
    2:08:57 PM: Liam: The maximum mailbox size on shared hosting is only 3gb I'm afraid.
    2:09:34 PM: Cormac: am I on shared hosting? what would you suggest to overcome this?
    2:10:23 PM: Liam: If you needed to maintain that amount of e-mail on the server you'd need a business level e-mail package like office 365:

https://www.blacknight.com/office365/#business365
    2:11:55 PM: Cormac: would the essentials do me? So that's just for one mail box, around €50 a year? and if the other email addresses don't get so much activity, I can still just use the 3gb package?
    2:12:41 PM: Liam: It's not possible to split the mail hosting for a domain between two different subs. You'd have to move all e-mail addresses for the domain name in question to the office 365 platform.

The essentials should bee adequate.
    2:14:14 PM: Cormac: oh yeah, I only have one email address per domain actually, but I've a few different domains, so the domains with less activity don't have to be moved? I assume the 3gb is total mail volume, sent and received?
    2:15:47 PM: Liam: That's correct. The other domains can stay on the shared plan. That 3gb figure is for all e-mail on the server, which would indeed include 'sent items'.
    2:17:25 PM: Cormac: ok, and how secure is this mail? Like all mail will always be accessible and won't be overwritten without me knowing? what happens if I reach the 3gb total without knowing?
    2:19:07 PM: Liam: You'll get e-mail notification when you start approaching the limit. In terms of security, any mail client connecting to the account has the ability to delete e-mail depending on how it's configured. For that reason we can't guarantee it. Presuming any mail client you connect to the account is correctly configured however, in that case there would be no e-mail going missing.
    2:19:40 PM: Liam: If you do hit the 3gb limit, the account will not be able to receive further e-mail and senders will get a bounceback stating as much.
    2:20:02 PM: Cormac: ok, and if I accidentally delete all email, is it recoverable at all?
    2:20:35 PM: Liam: Typically yes, but we don't guarantee it.
    2:21:45 PM: Cormac: ok, so if I want to change an account from pop to IMAP, do I need to ensure I've backed up all the mail I want to sync, or can I set up an IMAP of the same email address while the pop folder on my thunderbird client is still active?
    2:22:24 PM: Liam: Yeah, you'll want to back it up before deleting it and re-creating as IMAP. Once it has been re-created, restore the backup to the account to push the e-mail up to the mailserver.
    2:23:23 PM: Cormac: where do I delete it from? Thunderbird or from blacknight login? how long would it take to push 1gb? Is it just dependent on my upload speed?
    2:23:56 PM: Liam: From thunderbird itself. It won't allow you to change from POP to IMAP via the account settings so you'll need to delete and re-create the account instead.
    2:24:13 PM: Liam: It is dependant on your own connection for the upload so I couldn't say.
    2:25:00 PM: Cormac: ok, or could I just set up a new account as IMAP and then just transfer from the old account to the new one, without deleting the pop?
    2:25:09 PM: Cormac: so just drag and drop basically through thunderbird?
    2:27:41 PM: Liam: It's unlikely, but I'm not that familiar with thunderbird. The likelyhood is it won't allow the same address to be listed twice.
    2:29:08 PM: Liam: Typically you'd take the backup first, then delete the POP account, re-create it as IMAP, then restore the backup
    2:30:23 PM: Cormac: ok cool, and will all attachments etc be accessible as if they were locally stored? Is ANYTHING local in an IMAP setup at all? I assume I can write drafts etc and they just send once a connection is detected and that I can still view the last sync if I get disconnected? Would this be the same on a phone where storage space may be limited, so it say if I have an IMAP account that's 2gb, will it take 2gb of storage on my phone and laptop?
    2:37:50 PM: Liam: IMAP accounts just connect to the server and show you what e-mail is on there, they don't store content locally unless specifically configured to do so so that should be OK.

As long as you take a backup before proceeding, no content, including attachments will go missing.
    2:38:59 PM: Cormac: ok, and do I need to set it up from the blacknight admin too, or all mail is set up as both pop and imap, and it's just a matter of how you connect to it?
    2:40:37 PM: Liam: It would all be done on local mail clients. no changes in cp.blacknight.com are required.
    2:43:44 PM: Cormac: ok, I recently had a BSOD issue which seems to have corrupted my inbox of the main account I referred to above, the last backup I took of this was about a year ago unfortunately. I was synching it to Sugarsync, but it doesn't appear to have synced properly as there's a few files of around 3GB each that needed to sync. Considering I've been using my account as pop for the last few years, is it likely any of these mails may still be on the server and if I connect to IMAP, I will see these show up on thunderbird?
    2:43:56 PM: Cormac: or do mails get deleted off the server once they are downloaded by pop?
    2:44:55 PM: Liam: Unfortunately they would have been removed by the POP connection so it wouldn't be present in backups
    2:47:11 PM: Cormac: ****e :(

last question for now I think :) suppose I go for the €50 plan to IMAP with more than the 3gb, and say I decide to switch to GMAIL to manage this account down the line, can I transfer all mails from blacknight to Gmail, or more unlikely would be to another host?
    2:51:01 PM: Liam: It can be done, but it would also be via local mail clients like outlook. there' no automated way to do it.
    2:51:33 PM: Cormac: ok, so you'd need to take a backup through the client and then restore it to Gmail for example?
    2:51:50 PM: Liam: That's correct
    2:54:05 PM: Cormac: ok cool, so with IMAP, there's no real need and actually it may not even be possible, to sync mail with backup services like dropbox/sugarsync as it's all in the cloud anyway? Is it ever a case where the blacknight database gets wiped and users lose all their mail?
    2:54:54 PM: Liam: We have server level backups we can use in the even that servers are lost. It would be highly unlikely for content to be lost that way
    2:56:44 PM: Cormac: ok good stuff. Is there a hosting package that offers the business level mailbox to all domains on it or you need to do this separately to the hosting package itself? Maybe it would work out better/cheaper to have it all inclusive in the hosting
    2:56:57 PM: Cormac: or say 50GB divided between all mailboxes or something like this
    2:57:33 PM: Liam: Better, yes, cheaper, no.

You can assign whatever domains you want to the office 365 package, the limit is the number of e-mail accounts rather then the number of domains.
    3:00:43 PM: Cormac: I see it says 50gb mailbox for 4.20/pm per user, can I only have 1 email address for that 4.20? so if I want to use 5 different email address from 5 different domains, it will be 21pm?
    3:01:03 PM: Cormac: and they each have 50gb, as opposed to paying 4.20 per month for 50gb between all 5?
    3:01:05 PM: Liam: That's correct, the 4.50 price is per e-mail address
    3:01:44 PM: Liam: The maximum per mailbox size is 50gb
    3:01:46 PM: Cormac: ok, 50gb for all 5 would be more than enough, but I don't think that's an option through office 365 or any hosting package you offer
    3:08:47 PM: Cormac: Sorry Liam, just triple checking that before I head off :D would be much better for me if it was possible, but I understand if it's not
    3:09:25 PM: Liam: Unfortunately the pricing is fixed for the package. Apologies for the inconvenience.
    3:09:54 PM: Cormac: no worries, pretty sure you've helped me before on here, so thanks again for all the help and have a nice weekend!
    3:10:11 PM: Liam: No problem. If you have any further queries, let us know. Have a good weekend.

So what I want is definitely achievable through imap on my domain host, with a 3gb mail limit per domain included free, which will be fine for most of the domains. If I need more than 3gb, I'll have to go with something like the hosts business plan which is just over €5 per month, or with gsuite by Google which is €4 per month.

I was hoping to be able to do all this through a regular Gmail account, as all I need really is what's already offered free by Google, so just the email, docs, calendar, photos etc and the 15gb included is more than enough. This would also mean that I'd just need to do the initial setup on the Gmail account to let it manage the domain mails too and then I'd really only ever need to know the Gmail login details when setting up a new phone for example and to manage everything through the one account, rather than needing to know the host login details too and setup another app for mail instead of just using the Gmail app or being able to login to Gmail on any browser.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem possible on the free Gmail account as they only offer pop as a means to link another domain. I think it's possible using gsuite by Google, but then there's the added cost,so since I'm paying for 3gb to be included with each domain on my host already and a lot of the domains won't get the use to justify paying, this is probably the most sensible option.

If anyone knows if there's any way to achieve this on a free Gmail account, please share, but I'd be looking to be able to send /receive as the domain itself, I'm not sure can labels achieve this, plus I'd want it imap and it seems only pop is possible through free Gmail?

So it seems it is actually possible to manage another domains email address completely through GMAIL for free... I think it still does it through pop, but maybe that's not a problem since it will all be stored on Gmail anyway?

Instructions here: http://www.technologymatters.com.au/set-up-gmail-to-sendreceive-emails-using-your-own-domain-name/

So rather than having multiple accounts handled through the one Gmail address, I was thinking to set up multiple Gmail accounts so I could have newidea1@gmail.com be sending mail as info@newidea1.com and then receiving mail every few minutes.

Then, rather than having to set up a mail client to sync with Imap for these accounts when I get a new phone or whatever, I just add them as a Gmail account.

I'm not sure could I then send/receive from the GMAIL account, which would be sending/receiving from the domain account, from Thunderbird?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

ED E wrote: »
    Background: My gMail receives 5 other accounts

The gMail solution really doesnt scale. once you get to a certain number of labels the system breaks down. And labels in gmail dont directly translate to folders in clients, so the metaphor between Outlook/Thunderbird and google totally breaks down.

Keep them separate, find a good mobile client that can manage multi account well, use Thunderbird and let IMAP do the grunt work.

Additionally, for backup I'd use http://www.mailstore.com/ so if you ever cancel/lose access to one of the mailservers your back catalogue is organised and indexed.

I'd have to agree. I use gmail a lot with multiple emails and accounts. Id never use it for a high volume work account though. The labels aren't ideal and Google is always messing with it. Outlook or similar is far superior, or perhaps robust is a better description.

I don't think Android handles multiple email accounts under the same user well either. Windows phone was much better at this, but it's syncing can be slow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What I do is have a phone Google account, but I don't use that for email. But I add other email accounts to it.

Google seems to want to link accounts that you set up like this. And remember Google can always block your access to it with no warning. So you need a backup in place.

What kind of reasons would Google have for blocking access?

When you say you have to agree above, is the issue having multiple accounts under one Gmail address or being able to achieve what I want in terms of folder trees and the likes with Gmail?

If I only have one account per Gmail, would this not be ok? Is it still possible to achieve a folder tree system on Gmail then and sync it with Thunderbird I wonder or is IMAP with the server the only solution for this? Will it work in Gsuite for €4 a month even?

Advertisement