Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs UK quality of life

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭flatty

It's the same country really. They're nice people up there. You'll be grand.
    PS sign on with a GP as soon as you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭mzn

irska1700 wrote: »
    Thank you. Ive been in Belfast for a day trip and really loved, also my highschool friend is also moving with me to the Belfast, and she worked in county Kerry in the small village by the sea, soo It will be good change for me and her :cool:

I have some friends there and still I will be close to friends who stayed in ROI.

Its soo hard to leave Republic of Ireland after I find social circle here, but I will still be close to them :)

Wait, dont you have other plans before moving to UK ? What languages do you speak ?
    I agree with you, Irish people who live in Ireland are living misery ripping off and tough life. No infrastructure and pricey essentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 irska1700

mzn wrote: »
    Wait, dont you have other plans before moving to UK ? What languages do you speak ?
    I agree with you, Irish people who live in Ireland are living misery ripping off and tough life. No infrastructure and pricey essentials.

Hi, thanks for asking.

I'm from Croatia and I speak croatian language and english.
    Housing crisis is definetly the reason no.1
    I'm sharing 2 bedroom apartment with 1 person, its on ground floor and its mouldy (toilet also!) - and this is the best that I can get for that price in Galway!!! I'm paying 445euro plus 60-80 euro bills for electricity only every 2 months. I can't find anything better because I can't afford house just for myself in Galway (and I don't have car - and also I don't wanna live outside of the town). I like to be on walking distance to city center max. 30minutes!!!
    I earn around 1.400euro per month
    Money is good - I can save - but quality of my life is not good, because if I change job and wanna change place to live - I cant easly find another room or house!!
    I don't wanna go live in Limerick or Waterford - they are cheaper.
    I lived in Cork before - but love Galway more.
    Dublin is too expensive *too big, dont like it..

Ive seen that the new projects are - new homes are again houses, and my future would be probably - living in sharing all my life - only if I find guy - then we could afford rent a house in village around , living in town would be too expensive, but then both of us needs to have car - and then you are far away from cinema, from museum, theatar, vibrant Galway streets and street artist --- soo I wanna in future to live in city and have a chance to rent small studio apartment for myself and guy - Im not looking for luxury.

I never lived independent before, in Croatia I lived with family and lived in city - soo I never before pay attention about how public transport is important - and how lack of houses is important - how price of rents also are important - I moved to Ireland on my own - and I really have nice memory - I met lot of people, Irish people make my life easier and helped a lot - I didn't feel far away from home, I have feeling like Ireland is my home now also and I feel happy here - but I dont see bright future - I'm honestly afraid that I won't be able to buy house here in Ireland and I'm afraid that new economy crisis is coming again, I read about crisis after Celtic Tiger and how property market - was broken...soo what If I buy expensive house - and that price fall down - I will have huge mortgage on my back?
    I think lot of young people are in general in all world afraid to have 30 years mortgage and Its not secure like in past... economy is changing fast and its upside - down..

About public transport, I notice that its improved from Galway - Dublin, also Galway - Cork, also Galway city buses are going more frequent - and Barna is now part of the Leap card and Oranmore too...they are doing good job as much as they can. I see improvement.

Hi, thanks for asking.

I'm from Croatia and I speak croatian language and english.
    Housing crisis is definetly the reason no.1
    I'm sharing 2 bedroom apartment with 1 person, its on ground floor and its mouldy (toilet also!) - and this is the best that I can get for that price in Galway!!! I'm paying 445euro plus 60-80 euro bills for electricity only every 2 months. I can't find anything better because I can't afford house just for myself in Galway (and I don't have car - and also I don't wanna live outside of the town). I like to be on walking distance to city center max. 30minutes!!!
    I earn around 1.400euro per month
    Money is good - I can save - but quality of my life is not good, because if I change job and wanna change place to live - I cant easly find another room or house!!
    I don't wanna go live in Limerick or Waterford - they are cheaper.
    I lived in Cork before - but love Galway more.
    Dublin is too expensive *too big, dont like it..

Ive seen that the new projects are - new homes are again houses, and my future would be probably - living in sharing all my life - only if I find guy - then we could afford rent a house in village around , living in town would be too expensive, but then both of us needs to have car - and then you are far away from cinema, from museum, theatar, vibrant Galway streets and street artist --- soo I wanna in future to live in city and have a chance to rent small studio apartment for myself and guy - Im not looking for luxury.

I never lived independent before, in Croatia I lived with family and lived in city - soo I never before pay attention about how public transport is important - and how lack of houses is important - how price of rents also are important - I moved to Ireland on my own - and I really have nice memory - I met lot of people, Irish people make my life easier and helped a lot - I didn't feel far away from home, I have feeling like Ireland is my home now also and I feel happy here - but I dont see bright future - I'm honestly afraid that I won't be able to buy house here in Ireland and I'm afraid that new economy crisis is coming again, I read about crisis after Celtic Tiger and how property market - was broken...soo what If I buy expensive house - and that price fall down - I will have huge mortgage on my back?
    I think lot of young people are in general in all world afraid to have 30 years mortgage and Its not secure like in past... economy is changing fast and its upside - down..

About public transport, I notice that its improved from Galway - Dublin, also Galway - Cork, also Galway city buses are going more frequent - and Barna is now part of the Leap card and Oranmore too...they are doing good job as much as they can. I see improvement.

Well thats fair details .
    I think that you still have plan B before moving to UK.

From what i understood is that you dont have to pay that much for housing if you or (both you and your partner) earn less than 3200 euro per month after all taxes.

So you can look for you or both of you for one bedroom untill you have chlidren .
    Moreover, you can move to Galway city or bigger cities and work with your language . Alot of main and outsourcing companies in Ireland.

Well thats fair details .
    I think that you still have plan B before moving to UK.

From what i understood is that you dont have to pay that much for housing if you or (both you and your partner) earn less than 3200 euro per month after all taxes.

So you can look for you or both of you for one bedroom untill you have chlidren .
    Moreover, you can move to Galway city or bigger cities and work with your language . Alot of main and outsourcing companies in Ireland.

I know, but I dont wanna find boyfriend - just to be able to afford apartment for myself and boyfriend - I wanna be able as a single person to rent small studio and when I pay rent - to be able as an adult host my friends at small studio, now I can host - but I have house mate - its different!

I think Limerick has more buildings and apartments - comparing to Galway - but - I like Galway more, its more vibrant.

I'm reading the last daft.ie rental report and this guy is completly right.

And looking in the future, this pressure is not going away any time soon. Demographics ‐ in particular falling household size but also population growth and urbanization ‐ mean that the country needs not only far more new homes each than are currently being built but also that these new homes are predominantly urban apartments. The majority of those new urban apartments will be for the rental sector, either market or social.
    That is what the country's housing system needs. The question now is whether it will get it.

Ireland need more 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom apartments. High skilled proffesionals and even people who wants to have life standar higher - they dont wanna live in sharing lika a student for years!!! I think its good to build 5 storey buildings *like in limerick* and also houses - that people can have a choice to choose and if they have kids, they probably like to have garden and house, but if you are having 1 kid you dont need 4 bedroom expensive house.
    Single mothers. They are stuck!
    If they dont have a car, if they live in village outside of town, what they can do? Work part time in shop or bar, work in kitchen? How they can mind kid and work at the same time? People are stuck and cant move from their place to another - because of lack of houses.
    If I wanna move now to Cork or Dublin, it will take few weeks or months until I find ROOM. Its easier to move to Canada and find accommodation probably, then from one place to another in Ireland. I thought when I just come to Ireland in 2015 that housing crisis is temporary and that they will fix that in 6months, that people are complaining without reason. Students are living in hostels!?!
    But now I see its getting worse :(

Infrastructure is the problem, its cheaper to go Galway - Dublin by bus, then Galway - Westport!
    If I will have kids and family, probably I will be happy in smaller town, but now as a single young girl, Galway (and Cork, Limerick) are overpriced.
    Room in Barna village is 600euro per month?! Room in Oranmore is 500EURO per month??? Its too much, landlords are greedy - I cant participate to that.

• Advertisement

I know, but I dont wanna find boyfriend - just to be able to afford apartment for myself and boyfriend - I wanna be able as a single person to rent small studio and when I pay rent - to be able as an adult host my friends at small studio, now I can host - but I have house mate - its different!

I think Limerick has more buildings and apartments - comparing to Galway - but - I like Galway more, its more vibrant.

I'm reading the last daft.ie rental report and this guy is completly right.

And looking in the future, this pressure is not going away any time soon. Demographics ‐ in particular falling household size but also population growth and urbanization ‐ mean that the country needs not only far more new homes each than are currently being built but also that these new homes are predominantly urban apartments. The majority of those new urban apartments will be for the rental sector, either market or social.
    That is what the country's housing system needs. The question now is whether it will get it.

Ireland need more 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom apartments. High skilled proffesionals and even people who wants to have life standar higher - they dont wanna live in sharing lika a student for years!!! I think its good to build 5 storey buildings *like in limerick* and also houses - that people can have a choice to choose and if they have kids, they probably like to have garden and house, but if you are having 1 kid you dont need 4 bedroom expensive house.
    Single mothers. They are stuck!
    If they dont have a car, if they live in village outside of town, what they can do? Work part time in shop or bar, work in kitchen? How they can mind kid and work at the same time? People are stuck and cant move from their place to another - because of lack of houses.
    If I wanna move now to Cork or Dublin, it will take few weeks or months until I find ROOM. Its easier to move to Canada and find accommodation probably, then from one place to another in Ireland. I thought when I just come to Ireland in 2015 that housing crisis is temporary and that they will fix that in 6months, that people are complaining without reason. Students are living in hostels!?!
    But now I see its getting worse :(

Infrastructure is the problem, its cheaper to go Galway - Dublin by bus, then Galway - Westport!
    If I will have kids and family, probably I will be happy in smaller town, but now as a single young girl, Galway (and Cork, Limerick) are overpriced.
    Room in Barna village is 600euro per month?! Room in Oranmore is 500EURO per month??? Its too much, landlords are greedy - I cant participate to that.

That's excellent input ..
    Just to mention that you can as single look for studio apartment in galway city (council) ..and they can pay you up to 575 per month or almost 600 and (so it's up to them to consider 15% more than 575) . Your income is eligible to apply as well. In this case you can pay only 30% of your income towards accommodation. I'm not sure if you aware about that.

That's excellent input ..
    Just to mention that you can as single look for studio apartment in galway city (council) ..and they can pay you up to 575 per month or almost 600 and (so it's up to them to consider 15% more than 575) . Your income is eligible to apply as well. In this case you can pay only 30% of your income towards accommodation. I'm not sure if you aware about that.

Thank you...

I don't wanna claim bennefits and rent allowance. I wanna be able to choose place to live and afford it.

I think this housing crisis will affect economy, because low skilled and high skilled people are leaving, I don't know how Ireland will fill the empty working places when cost of life is too high, Ireland now.

Irish government is giving lot of social bennefits for people who are not working, they pay SILENCE, and working class (middle and lower) is paying taxes and its totally unfair, if I pay taxes - I dont get anything in return and only I see that public transport is improved.
    I don't wanna sound like I complain about Ireland - I complain about system.

I don't know how Brexit will affect Ireland, fingers crossed that It will help to Ireland to attract more company in and create more jobs, but where all this people would live?

Advertisement