Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builders deficating in our new house

Options
  • 11-04-2017 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am purchasing a new build house that is nearly finished (external stuff remaining). I went along to the snag with the snagging engineer and discovered all of the toilets had been used "extensively" and were left a complete MESS. Found it revolting to be honest.

We need to close the sale soon and I think its more than an item to list on the snag and feel like it should be taken further. Least they could do is clean up after themselves.

Any advice on how to proceed? No idea who to address the complaint too!

- Complaint letter to estate agent?
    or
    - Complaint letter to developer?
    or
    - Complaint through our solicitor to the developers solicitors?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wopp wrote: »
    - Complaint letter to estate agent?
    or
    - Complaint letter to developer?
    or
    - Complaint through our solicitor to the developers solicitors?
    They all sound over the top to me.

Builders will be builders. The developer is selling, he doesnt need repeat business from you. All will fall on deaf ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Think there's an appeal to common decency ! Even if it's just the site foreman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just leave it on the snag that a cleaning service is required.

Hardly a need for the solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

ED E wrote: »
    They all sound over the top to me.

Builders will be builders. The developer is selling, he doesnt need repeat business from you. All will fall on deaf ears.

If you saw the toilets you may say different, poo-explosion in all three toilets would nearly sum it up. One completely blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

On the bright side, at least you know your jacks will work properly

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    Just leave it on the snag that a cleaning service is required.

Hardly a need for the solicitor.

I figured, I just have no idea what the correct "Route" is. Didn't realise a cleaning service would be possible from the snag. Thought it was only cosmetic builder touch-ups. Ill make sure is phrased like that, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I wouldn't make too big a deal out of it ,,just in case you have teething problems in the new house and need these lads to come back fix the odd thing for you .

Agree with you they shouldn't be leaving them in that state tho,,you could ask the site foreman if he uses a cleaner for the show house and mention the state in your house .

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Speak to the site manager or have your engineer speak to them. Also ask for it to be professionally cleaned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Any housing estate iv worked on has always had cleaners in right before the house is handed over so I wouldn't worry about it. It will be handed over brand new unless you're dealing with total cowboys. As a seasoned pro in having to use builders toilets I can only imagine. well I don't have to actually, iv seen it all. Where some of these <snip> come from is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the first line on any snag list should be that the place is clean and tidy and all rubbish etc taken away. this includes inside and out.

I have seen snag s done on houses and the customer signed off saying everything was done but there was crap everywhere , offcuts, bags,etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

With our new build it was professionally cleaned before move in. If it's not up to standard after a professional clean request replacement toilets. A new build with new bathrooms and sanitary wear should be new when you move in. There should be a porta -loo on site for the workmen to use. I wouldn't be at all happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

just put on the top of snag list "The toilets need a really good cleaning and sanitising"... would this not be enough as opposed to getting solicitors etc involved?
    On the bright side, if this turns out to be the worst sh!t would need to deal with when buying a new house then things have good pretty well....very best of luck with your purchase...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

With our new build it was professionally cleaned before move in. If it's not up to standard after a professional clean request replacement toilets. A new build with new bathrooms and sanitary wear should be new when you move in. There should be a porta -loo on site for the workmen to use. I wouldn't be at all happy

So you'd begrudge someone using a toilet?? Says more about you than anybody else really. Iv yet to hear of anyone complaining of the state of their toilets upon getting their keys and believe me using the toilets in new build houses happens alot more then you think. Would you be happy using a stinking port a loo when you know there's a proper flushing toilet you can walk into across the road? And the house does not belong to anyone other then the builders until such a time as the sale has closed and keys handed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

dbagman wrote: »

So you'd begrudge someone using a toilet?? Says more about you than anybody else really. Iv yet to hear of anyone complaining of the state of their toilets upon getting their keys and believe me using the toilets in new build houses happens alot more then you think. Would you be happy using a stinking port a loo when you know there's a proper flushing toilet you can walk into across the road? And the house does not belong to anyone other then the builders until such a time as the sale has closed and keys handed over.
    No I wouldn't mind a wee or that but if I'm paying a builder for new toilets I wouldn't expect to find them covered in ****. Our toilets went in about 4 weeks before closing and had tape over them. Wasnt done by me but looked professional so I would have expected it off other building companies

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thoker

Using portaloo's to read the sun brings it all back to me in the Summer in London

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Talk to the foreman onsite. I would push for replacement of sanitary ware. If they are getting clogged already you have no way of knowing they are installed properly and to be fair an engineer is not going to inspect them in that state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

talk to forman, put it on snag list, its a new house, you'll be cleaning the dust for months anyway

If they at least flushed it would be different. If you spend that much on a house with the toilets left like that and your not disgusted there is something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Wouldnt be the first tight ass builder to not provide any / adequate toilet facilities on site.

Did you see any sign of portaloos etc on the site if not its worth reporting to the HSA as its a requirement for the builder to provide working toilets on site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Any chance of getting photos OP? I've seen and used plenty of toilets on site where you'd wonder who these lads are but would always be handed over in pristine condition at sale.

The estate agent made a big boo boo by not informing the builder of your visit. Yours isn't the first nor it won't be the last a builder has taken a sh1t in unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Username checks out. I can't imagine anyone would want a manky jacks when buying a new build.

Snag list it OP and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

At least they didn't crap in the bath or the attic, as I've often seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I wouldn't make too big a deal of it. It's the ones you don't find that you need to worry about!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You'll have to remember OP that you don't own the house yet. I'd hardly think they'd hand it over in the same condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

aujopimur wrote: »
    At least they didn't crap in the bath or the attic, as I've often seen.

You're not serious are you?

The dirty b#stards.

Op, this is not on if you ask me. All well and fine to joke about it here and say it'll be cleaned before you get the keys etc. That's all fine until you get an 8 inch sh!te in a 6 pipe and find yourself with a blockage/backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Think you've had enough advice OP. Good luck

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement