Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moved into new house , etiquette on house warming ?

Options
  • 11-04-2017 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi guys i 've moved into a new house and planning on having a house waking few friends over for drinks out the back garden , living in semi detached , haven't met my neighbours yet but any advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi guys i 've moved into a new house and planning on having a house waking few friends over for drinks out the back garden , living in semi detached , haven't met my neighbours yet but any advice ?

Enjoy yourself but be considerate others are around and remember to keep noise down the later it gets.

Look I'm all for having a laugh and parties are great if its a one off and not every weekend and such you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Knock on neighbours' doors (either side) and introduce yourself. Tell them you're having friends/ family over on Saturday afternoon/evening, and would be delighted if they(the neighbours) would like to pop in any time after 5:30/6:30/8:00pm to have a drink. Put out cocktail sausages/salads/chilli or whatever to take the boozing session look off it.

Use whatever tricks you know to ABSOLUTELY remember their names , for when they turn up and introduce them to your friends/family.
    Keep it relaxed-semi-formal, to prevent misunderstandings.

Give reasonable notice and stress how much you're looking forward to meeting them. If conversation gets strained, ask about local issues/schools/shops/church etc.

It'll be fine, and if it isn't , well at least you've done your bit.

edit: oh and by the way, congratulations on getting the new place, wish you many years of happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Call round to the neighbours and introduce yourself. Try and find out do they have small kids, work early in the morning etc and plan to have the party late afternoon/evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭hellyeah

As above just call round and introduce yourself, say your having a house warming and will be all wrapped up before midnight.
    Any later and your being a nusance and expect you neighbour to respond with a 2am party some weekend and your off to a bad start. Just speaking from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

And keep in mind that if you do invite any non-Irish neighbours over they will be there at the exact time you tell them. Not a minute earlier, not a minute later. It's an admirable quality that most Irish don't possess.

• Advertisement

heldel00 wrote: »
    And keep in mind that if you do invite any non-Irish neighbours over they will be there at the exact time you tell them. Not a minute earlier, not a minute later. It's an admirable quality that most Irish don't possess.

I think its good been a few minutes late because no matter what as a host your always running late.

Once off parties as I said are fine. If you feel up to it ask next-door neighbours but try scope out a little 1st.

Don't want to clash with newbies right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Make sure that you have at least one wheelie bin that can be set on fire, keep the music pumping until at least 3am and I'm sure they'll make an appearance at some point. I just thought I'd give the Northside perspective.

Joking aside invite them over, I did when I had my house warming and it's been a real boon to be honest. The one thing I didn't do is go over the road and invite the neighbours opposite. I know you have to draw the line somewhere but since the ones opposite have been very kind on more than one occasion.

hellyeah wrote: »
    As above just call round and introduce yourself, say your having a house warming and will be all wrapped up before midnight.
    Any later and your being a nusance and expect you neighbour to respond with a 2am party some weekend and your off to a bad start. Just speaking from experience.

Won't be much of a house warming if it's wraps up a 12, cook food to hide that's it's a boozing session etc? Bloody hell people are allowed have a proper party and a bit of a session in their home once they don't take the p*ss.

I'd have my party and wouldn't be inviting neighbours or telling them etc as I've done plenty of times before.

Won't be much of a house warming if it's wraps up a 12, cook food to hide that's it's a boozing session etc? Bloody hell people are allowed have a proper party and a bit of a session in their home once they don't take the p*ss.

I'd have my party and wouldn't be inviting neighbours or telling them etc as I've done plenty of times before.

Exactly.

To the OP, whether you bought or are renting is irrelevant - have your fun, don't invite the neighbors (unless you know them and want them? I've nothing against my neighbours but I'm not inviting them to a party...as we're not friends) and have a good time with your friends would be my advice.

Don't take the piss as the poster above me says. That's it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Do you own or rent the new house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Allinall

What does dont take the piss mean?

Where are your limits on noise, lights, time etc., without having any contact with the neighbors beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Could you try to contain your party inside your house? When my neighbors moved in they had a party where one of their friends screamed "**** the neighbours" at 4am in the back garden after he was asked to shut up.

PucaMama wrote: »
    Could you try to contain your party inside your house? When my neighbors moved in they had a party where one of their friends screamed "**** the neighbours" at 4am in the back garden after he was asked to shut up.

If its a once off let it slide if always then that's a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

PucaMama wrote: »

If its a once off let it slide if always then that's a problem.

The same friend goes to all their parties. We can hear him clearly because he's such a loud person. I hate him.

Allinall wrote: »
    What does dont take the piss mean?

Where are your limits on noise, lights, time etc., without having any contact with the neighbors beforehand?

Time to finish is when the last person wants to stop drinking (4 or 5am would be a regular finish time for me), noise up to 11pm no real limits after that try to keep it so it's not overly audible outside the house once it's gets to 1am or so make sure music can't be heard.
    I've had and attended many many house parties and I wouldn't dream of telling the neighbours none of their business, you are entitled to enjoy yourself in your home. If you won't put up with noise every once in a while then don't live in a build up area.

And yes before you say it I have every intention of living in the country side in the long term (where I'm from) as I hate having to watch how much noise I make because of neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Hi OP,

Having read some of the later posts, I'd like to make a couple of points about my own.

When I moved into this house, I was certain it would be my 'forever' home, and that was in 1983. I made an effort to foster friendly relations with the neighbours, because it was an already established area. I was 28, and quite the party animal, but I realised it was politic to go easy on the first outing - my friends are all similar to myself, but respected that I wanted to start off on the right foot and we had a civilised night, whilst maintaining the party mood. It went on till 4 in the morning, but no loud music.

My neighbours were and still are wonderful people, and we all look out for each other. Other people have come and gone since then. The weren't missed, as some of them were the "its MY house and I'll party whenever the **** I want" type.

Cheers,
    Nick

Time to finish is when the last person wants to stop drinking (4 or 5am would be a regular finish time for me), noise up to 11pm no real limits after that try to keep it so it's not overly audible outside the house once it's gets to 1am or so make sure music can't be heard.
    I've had and attended many many house parties and I wouldn't dream of telling the neighbours none of their business, you are entitled to enjoy yourself in your home. If you won't put up with noise every once in a while then don't live in a build up area.

And yes before you say it I have every intention of living in the country side in the long term (where I'm from) as I hate having to watch how much noise I make because of neighbours.

You say - "you are entitled to enjoy yourself in your home".

Where does this entitlement come from?

Is it written down anywhere?

Also- it is absolutely your neighbors business if your party impacts on them in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

Just don't have the music up full blast and you'll be grand.I wouldn't bother even mentioning it to the neighbours. You'll move it into the house anyway when it starts getting cold.
    None of the neighbours Business

You say - "you are entitled to enjoy yourself in your home".

Where does this entitlement come from?

Is it written down anywhere?

Also- it is absolutely your neighbors business if your party impacts on them in any way.

It's your home that gives you the entitlement to have a party if you wish. I'm not saying to put speakers in the back garden and play music at top volume at 3am. You are entitled to have a party and play music at a decent volume u til 11pm after that you need to keep it down a bit but you didn't have to whisper in your own home.

If a neighbour complained to me about an odd house party I'd be telling them to keep their kids inside and not have them roaring and waking me at 9am on a Saturday morning.

It's your home that gives you the entitlement to have a party if you wish. I'm not saying to put speakers in the back garden and play music at top volume at 3am. You are entitled to have a party and play music at a decent volume u til 11pm after that you need to keep it down a bit but you didn't have to whisper in your own home.

If a neighbour complained to me about an odd house party I'd be telling them to keep their kids inside and not have them roaring and waking me at 9am on a Saturday morning.

Why would you make up a story about your neighbors kids waking you on a Saturday morning?

Also, where did you get 11 pm from as a time to stop loud music?

Actually, what is a "decent" volume?

Seems to me you're just making up your own rules without any basis or consideration for others.

Selfish and probably breaking laws.

• Advertisement

Why would you make up a story about your neighbors kids waking you on a Saturday morning?

Also, where did you get 11 pm from as a time to stop loud music?

Actually, what is a "decent" volume?

Seems to me you're just making up your own rules without any basis or consideration for others.

Selfish and probably breaking laws.

I'm making nothing up, I've been woken by kids playing and shouting many more times than I've held loud house parties.

11pm comes from the fact that after 11pm is considered "quiet hours". Decent volume means fairly loud to create a good atmosphere, it would be audible outside and next door but only up to around 11pm.

As for consideration for others, tough luck. An occasional house party is perfectly acceptable, it's your home and you are entitled to enjoy it within a certain amount of reason. Within reason does not mean total silence and not having parties though.

I'm making nothing up, I've been woken by kids playing and shouting many more times than I've held loud house parties.

11pm comes from the fact that after 11pm is considered "quiet hours". Decent volume means fairly loud to create a good atmosphere, it would be audible outside and next door but only up to around 11pm.

As for consideration for others, tough luck. An occasional house party is perfectly acceptable, it's your home and you are entitled to enjoy it within a certain amount of reason. Within reason does not mean total silence and not having parties though.

So if you had a party tomorrow night, and your neighbor complained about the noise, you would retort by complaining about some other random neighbour that had at some point in the past woken you on s Saturday morning?

Again, where does the 11 pm come from?

Why not 10.30, or 11.30?

Do you make the rules or decide what's acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

So if you had a party tomorrow night, and your neighbor complained about the noise, you would retort by complaining about some other random neighbour that had at some point in the past woken you on s Saturday morning?

Why not 10.30, or 11.30?

He lives in the country. His neighbour is either half a mile away, or else it's his relations either side.

Why not 10.30, or 11.30?

There isn't any specific law as far as I'm aware in Ireland but the general accepted rule is that 11pm to 7am is the time frame where noise should be minimised. It likely comes from the UK where the law specifically states 11pm to 7am as being quiet hours.
    He lives in the country. His neighbour is either half a mile away, or else it's his relations either side.

I don't, I'm from the county and will return but at the moment I live most of the time in an urban area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

A reminder that this post is about the OP. Let's not derail it with side tracking.

Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Why not 10.30, or 11.30?

I live in a small development (32 units) and we define antisocial hours as between 10PM and 7AM. We also specify no washing machines or outdoor activities which impinge on neighbours after 9PM. You'd be surprised at how little cop on some people have. If there are small children in the neighbourhood- they probably go to bed reasonably early. Its not fair to show no concern for how you might impact on your neighbours. Also- if you've bought- you are probably impacting on people who are likely to be your neighbours long term- throwing a mad party is a sure fire way to annoy the living hell out of most of your neighbours.

There is nothing wrong with having a house warming party- however, keep it civil and show due concern towards your neighbours- its not rocket science.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I live in a small development (32 units) and we define antisocial hours as between 10PM and 7AM. We also specify no washing machines or outdoor activities which impinge on neighbours after 9PM. You'd be surprised at how little cop on some people have. If there are small children in the neighbourhood- they probably go to bed reasonably early. Its not fair to show no concern for how you might impact on your neighbours. Also- if you've bought- you are probably impacting on people who are likely to be your neighbours long term- throwing a mad party is a sure fire way to annoy the living hell out of most of your neighbours.

There is nothing wrong with having a house warming party- however, keep it civil and show due concern towards your neighbours- its not rocket science.

Washing machines? Really? Where the hell did that come from?

I would, as suggested by others OP, invite the neighbours, they probably won't come anyway, it's simply good manners.

And just take it handy, a 1st impression can last for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I think unless you plan on partying hard until the late hours there is no need to tell them.

Personally i would not invite any neighbours -i prefer to keep them at arms length due to previous negative experiences with neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

No washing machines going after 9pm is a little extreme. You're asking people not to avail of nightsaver units which seems a little selfish. Night is a great time to put on washing. I live in a high density apartment block and never hear else's washing machine at any time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

__Alex__ wrote: »
    No washing machines going after 9pm is a little extreme. You're asking people not to avail of nightsaver units which seems a little selfish. Night is a great time to put on washing. I live in a high density apartment block and never hear else's washing machine at any time.

Its actually in the leases that were originally drawn up when the development was built in 1996. Unfortunately- the noise insulation between the units- is not what it should be- you can hear your neighbours going to the toilet at night- neighbours television even when on low- and if someone next door is up at night you can hear floor boards creaking etc. All floors are carpeted to try and minimise the noise etc- to no avail. Unfortunately- that's what the older building regs that were in place in the early 90s resulted in..........

Advertisement