Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moved into new house , etiquette on house warming ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

You're perfectly entitled to have a party...you should tell the neighbours...not necessary to invite. There's been two parties since I moved in...one was next door...guy didn't tell me and went on all night...when I protested at 5am, his friends posted glass and lit cigarettes in through my letterbox. House behind had one and they told me so I went to a friend's that night after a quick drink with them.

The worse thing was my neighbour on the other side who were very...active...at precisely 11.15pm...with a private party every night. Their children are cute though

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

I live in a small development (32 units) and we define antisocial hours as between 10PM and 7AM. We also specify no washing machines or outdoor activities which impinge on neighbours after 9PM. You'd be surprised at how little cop on some people have. If there are small children in the neighbourhood- they probably go to bed reasonably early. Its not fair to show no concern for how you might impact on your neighbours. Also- if you've bought- you are probably impacting on people who are likely to be your neighbours long term- throwing a mad party is a sure fire way to annoy the living hell out of most of your neighbours.

There is nothing wrong with having a house warming party- however, keep it civil and show due concern towards your neighbours- its not rocket science.

Is you flat made of cardboard? A washing machine shouldn't bother someone in a differenct room nevermind in a different flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

jaysus, this is one of the many reasons I'll fight tooth and nail to build a one off house.

OP , if its a semi-d - tell your attached neighbour that you're having a party. up to them to do what they need to do to avoid it. Music till 12 on a weekend be grand, 11 during the week, after that keep everyone in a room thats not on the adjoining wall if possible. Let people smoke inside, you can get the smell out the next day, if you send them out the back somebody will complain as all drunk people make noise always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

FrStone wrote: »
    Is you flat made of cardboard? A washing machine shouldn't bother someone in a differenct room nevermind in a different flat.

Not true. I've lived in my place for over 12 years and I'm in an L shaped block. There's a balcony joining both sides of the L. New people bought the apartment on the other side of the L and moved the washing machine. Even though it's not on the external wall and there's a large balcony between the apartments I thought it was like a siren going off in my apartment. Had a friendly chat and they didn't realise so offered not to use it after 10. I was happy with that but if they've not realised the time I don't complain, I know it's not deliberate.

OP I would definitely drop in and meet the neighbours and politely mention that you'll be having a few people over but that you'll try to ensure that no noise can be heard from outside after a certain time. Shows you as considerate...depending on the time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

jaysus, this is one of the many reasons I'll fight tooth and nail to build a one off house.

OP , if its a semi-d - tell your attached neighbour that you're having a party. up to them to do what they need to do to avoid it. Music till 12 on a weekend be grand, 11 during the week, after that keep everyone in a room thats not on the adjoining wall if possible. Let people smoke inside, you can get the smell out the next day, if you send them out the back somebody will complain as all drunk people make noise always.

Why is it any more acceptable to disturb your neighbours on the weekend?? Stupid music blaring won't "be grand" any hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

PucaMama wrote: »
    Why is it any more acceptable to disturb your neighbours on the weekend?? Stupid music blaring won't "be grand" any hour.

Because most people don't have to be up for work the next day, and chances are theyre out having a few drinks or up till 12 anyway.

Nobody's talking about blaring a huge sound system with bass bins that shake your neighbours house to bits ( as a young and foolish eric cartman once did haha) , most normal speakers will only be faintly heard through a modern semi-d wall, enough to annoy people trying to sleep but not people already awake, cut off at 12 and most people would be happy to be inconvenienced for an hour on a one off basis or only at major holiday days.

Advertisement