Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anybody cured their lactose intolerance?

• 11-04-2017 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

So I'm 28 now and have been avoiding dairy/whey products for the last few years, ever since I noticed that they cause several problems for me.

I've often stayed off them for weeks, then as soon as I have a glass of milk or a whey shake, my nasal passage seems to get clogged up and I have to breathe mostly through my mouth.

I also get a bloated feeling in my stomach and have to fart constantly!

This is not ideal for me as I strength train, do kickboxing and play football regularly.

So, as much as possible, I avoid them. However, this is a massive pain in the a$$, because there's so many delicious, high protein foods that contain dairy. Even when my friends offer me a cup of tea I have to decline because even that little bit of milk will cause some problems for me.

This might sound crazy but if I could somehow undergo an operation that would allow me to digest dairy properly I'd happily do it! I'm fed up of spending extra money on expensive dairy free protein shakes and bars that taste crap. (And please don't just tell me to ''just eat meat''. It's not always convenient and I like to have variety in my diet)

I've been reading about this recently and saw this article about curing Lactose intolerance.
    https://chriskresser.com/how-to-cure-lactose-intolerance/

I've bought some Greek Yoghurt and the Jarro-Dophilus probiotic supplement. The Prebiotic supplement recommended isn't available in Ireland. Apparently with the help of these type of supplements you can gradually improve your lactose tolerance.

Just wondering if anyone else has similar problems and how you deal with them? Do you really need to carry around a Lactase enzyme tablet with you everywhere you go, just in case you fancy some ice cream?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

CM24 wrote: »
    So I'm 28 now and have been avoiding dairy/whey products for the last few years, ever since I noticed that they cause several problems for me.

I've often stayed off them for weeks, then as soon as I have a glass of milk or a whey shake, my nasal passage seems to get clogged up and I have to breathe mostly through my mouth.

I also get a bloated feeling in my stomach and have to fart constantly!

This is not ideal for me as I strength train, do kickboxing and play football regularly.

So, as much as possible, I avoid them. However, this is a massive pain in the a$, because there's so many delicious, high protein foods that contain dairy. Even when my friends offer me a cup of tea I have to decline because even that little bit of milk will cause some problems for me.

This might sound crazy but if I could somehow undergo an operation that would allow me to digest dairy properly I'd happily do it! I'm fed up of spending extra money on expensive dairy free protein shakes and bars that taste crap. (And please don't just tell me to ''just eat meat''. It's not always convenient and I like to have variety in my diet)

I've been reading about this recently and saw this article about curing Lactose intolerance.
    https://chriskresser.com/how-to-cure-lactose-intolerance/

I've bought some Greek Yoghurt and the Jarro-Dophilus probiotic supplement. The Prebiotic supplement recommended isn't available in Ireland. Apparently with the help of these type of supplements you can gradually improve your lactose tolerance.

Just wondering if anyone else has similar problems and how you deal with them? Do you really need to carry around a Lactase enzyme tablet with you everywhere you go, just in case you fancy some ice cream?
    have you been diagnosed with lactose intolerance?
    or do you just feel a bit icky after eating it?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Nope. Never been diagnosed. Then again, I've never asked for a test or anything.

I know for sure it causes me the problems mentioned in my post. I'd still have dairy products occasionally, but only for social reasons. Christmas dinners, first dates etc when I don't want to be rude and refuse what's in front of me.

At the moment I'm trying to slowly start bringing it back in to my diet. For this month, I'm taking prebiotics and probiotics and eating some Greek yoghurt every day. I'll try reintroducing dairy in small amounts in a couple of weeks, and see how much I can get away with before the symptoms appear.

Had it since I was a baby
    take a lot of cetrine to combat it but a few days in a row and I'm in bits

CM24 wrote: »

Nope. Never been diagnosed. Then again, I've never asked for a test or anything.

I know for sure it causes me the problems mentioned in my post. I'd still have dairy products occasionally, but only for social reasons. Christmas dinners, first dates etc when I don't want to be rude and refuse what's in front of me.

At the moment I'm trying to slowly start bringing it back in to my diet. For this month, I'm taking prebiotics and probiotics and eating some Greek yoghurt every day. I'll try reintroducing dairy in small amounts in a couple of weeks, and see how much I can get away with before the symptoms appear.
    well the first thing id say is get confirmation from your GP, it could be something else. then worry about curing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I became lactose intolerant and then was diagnosed with coeliac. Lactose intolerance is notably better since going gluten free. They are often linked, as damage coeliac does to your small intestine stops several processes your gut normally does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

To be honest, I already avoid wheat/gluten as much as possible. I originally eliminated gluten and dairy when I was trying to get ripped for the Summer, a few years ago. Just as a bonus I started noticing that I felt and performed much better without them too.

I've occasionally eaten them both here and there in the years since. Gluten doesn't affect me too badly, I'm certain I'm not coeliac. I just feel slightly better when I'm off it.

I don't actually know if I was always lactose intolerant or if I just developed it when I eliminated it from my diet. I probably drank a small bit of milk in my cereal growing up but it mightn't have been enough to cause noticeable symptoms. Never ate cheese at all til I was an adult.

@Livedadream, how does a GP go about confirming if you are indeed lactose intolerant? I remember a few years ago I had a severely swollen throat and I went to a doctor who did some allergy tests, where he pricked my arm a load of times, and the only thing I was allergic to was horse!

I assume there are a few different ways I dunno if it shows up in blood tests but I'm guessing it's by elimination and symptoms
    I thought I was lactose intolerant and kept pushing the gp about it, I'm not unfortunately it was something more serious but you do seem to be missing the main symptom which is the bowel movements... I know they can test via a stool sample for inflammation markers.
    Best follow up with your gp but don't go cutting stuff out before the tests some tests (the quick Ines) can only test for food you've eaten within 4 weeks so if you cut it out it won't show up.

Advertisement