Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Explosion at Dortmund hotel when team bus was leaving

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Donal55 wrote: »
    Well this is UEFA.
    Anyone else remember Heysel when 30 plus Italians died.
    An hour or so later the match was played.

Juve won 1-0 by the way.

No one remembers that because Liverpool fans don't like you to remember it. The 96 though...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭CoolHandBandit

If you were standing between the detonation point and the target, it would be very serious.

The blast damage to the bulletproof glass is a good indication of that.

The team bus is bulletproof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Not in Europe they haven't. That's why it would be worrying.

The RA were using IEDs years ago big barrel of fertiliser

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Luggnuts

Avada wrote: »
    Smashed windows in the bus, must have been some firecracker

Is a combination of rocks, bottles and firecrackers completely out of the question or must it be automatically assumed that it was some kind of lethal explosive device?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

The team bus is bulletproof?

All glass on the bus is bullet proof. Metal areas reinforced...

sjb25 wrote: »
    The RA were using IEDs years ago big barrel of fertiliser

Ok I'm talking about Islamic terrorists using roadside IED's.

All glass on the bus is bullet proof. Metal areas reinforced...

How do you know this. Any link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Autoglass?

Das Right

AS Monaco currently holding a training session within the stadium. Assume this is to allow the police to sort a few things out before moving them.

BVB players currently leaving team hotel and returning to their families for the night. They will be meeting up again tomorrow late morning most likely at the club training complex

• Advertisement

Jesus I hope the Islamists aren't moving onto IED's. Very very worrying

And what would you call London, Madrid, Boston, Moscow? Were those bombs over-the-counter devices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Ok I'm talking about Islamic terrorists using roadside IED's.

Sure the home-grown terrorists were using them first:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Herrhausen

How do you know this. Any link?

As I have already posted.....

1. Man use it as a standard for all team buses they build.

2. Sky News Germany/Local papers confirming it at the moment.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/790726/Borussia-Dortmund-explosion-bus-Champions-League-Monaco-Germany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I dont think this was a powerful blast. There are no big scorch marks like you would expect from a bomb, even a small one.
    Bomb proof bus or not, there would be scorch marks.
    Firecrackers are my guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Sure the home-grown terrorists were using them first:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Herrhausen

The Provos were also fond of lobbing mortars around Germany.
    Just google Osnabruck.

Not in Europe they haven't. That's why it would be worrying.

How many bombs used by the IRA or ETA or anyone else have actually been militarily manufactured Claymore mines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

BT Sport not doing anything to stop speculation anyway. Saying it is most likely terrorism and that there are rumours of unexploded devices found

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

What would speak for 'firecrackers' if you like is that its seemingly 'just' a blast. As opposed to metal bits flying all over the place.

BT Sport not doing anything to stop speculation anyway. Saying it is most likely terrorism and that there are rumours of unexploded devices found

Cops are currently searching the bus route to the stadium. Police reporting that they are using robots and drones to search for more devices and asking the public for their cooperation

What would speak for 'firecrackers' if you like is that its seemingly 'just' a blast. As opposed to metal bits flying all over the place.

As I know the area quite well where this took place I can safely say....the hedge that is supposed to have been used to hide the device is about 2m from the side of the street.

Take a 2m distance and breaking bulletproof glass....I would say its more than firecrackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

No mods there ;)

• Advertisement

AS Monaco currently holding a training session within the stadium. Assume this is to allow the police to sort a few things out before moving them.

BVB players currently leaving team hotel and returning to their families for the night. They will be meeting up again tomorrow late morning most likely at the club training complex
    Need to run off the energy. They're all on loads of caffeine etc. England players said the same when the game in Poland was called off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Luggnuts wrote: »
    How many bombs used by the IRA or ETA or anyone else have actually been militarily manufactured Claymore mines?

Does it really matter what company made them?
    The IRA mined a road in Warrenpoint on the day Mountbatten was killed and created a crater that any military manufacturer would be proud of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

As I know the area quite well where this took place I can safely say....the hedge that is supposed to have been used to hide the device is about 2m from the side of the street.

Take a 2m distance and breaking bulletproof glass....I would say its more than firecrackers.

I'm done with the news and sources, why would I need them when I have you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

But there are no scorch marks or shrapnel? Look at the aftermath of a bomb, even a small grenade, there is always scorch marks and shrapnel.
    What kind of a bomb would break glass from 2 metres but not leave any other damage?
    And if the glass was bullet proof then it would need a medium guage bomb to shatter that. Not to mention the point that bullet proof glass does not shatter. And the glass on the bus did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Winterlong wrote: »
    I dont think this was a powerful blast. There are no big scorch marks like you would expect from a bomb, even a small one.

It was a reinforced bus. A fire cracker wouldn't do that much damage.

And if you are aware that nearly every soldier in Iraq who had an IED go off near their humvee (not blow it up just go off nearby) has TBI (traumatic brain injury). The shock wave is enough to herald the onset of those injuries that boxers and NFL players develop.

The soldiers would call such an event "getting your bell rung".

If it was such a powerful blast then I would imagine they would all be in the hospital being examined for concussion. Certainly wouldn't simply postpone the game till wednesday.

But there are no scorch marks or shrapnel? Look at the aftermath of a bomb, even a small grenade, there is always scorch marks and shrapnel.
    What kind of a bomb would break glass from 2 metres but not leave any other damage?
    And if the glass was bullet proof then it would need a medium guage bomb to shatter that. Not to mention the point that bullet proof glass does not shatter. And the glass on the bus did.

I am no balisitics expert...maybe you are and can tell us more.

No 'Polenknaller' then. Was my first thought. They can be quite hefty. There are youtube video where they rip a small car apart when lit on the inside.

Edit: Juve 3 up :eek:

Could possibly be a roadside IED that failed to detonate properly.

No 'Polenknaller' then. Was my first thought.

Was also mine....Police and news groups saying no.

Reports now coming out that Police sources are ruling out a terror attack. Investigating in the direction of ultra fan groups from both BVB, Schalke and so on.

Also now confirmed from the Police in Dortmund that the devices were not attached to the bus....

• Advertisement

Does it really matter what company made them?
    The IRA mined a road in Warrenpoint on the day Mountbatten was killed and created a crater that any military manufacturer would be proud of.

And was it an improvised explosive device or one that was specifically manufactured for the purpose?

The poster said it was worrying that extremists might now be using IEDs.
    Well I don't know of a single car-bomb, roadside bomb, garbage can bomb, truck bomb, pressure-cooker bomb or any other type of terrorist bomb that hasn't been an improvised explosive device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'm no Mr Boombastic but it was more than a little firecracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Could this finally be Buffon's year!?

Reports now coming out that Police sources are ruling out a terror attack. Investigating in the direction of ultra fan groups from both BVB, Schalke and so on.

Also now confirmed from the Police in Dortmund that the devices were not attached to the bus....

That was my first thought. Polenknaller from Schalke fans. I wouldn't put it past them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Just Googled polenknaller and watched a couple of YouTube videos...I assume they're not legal?

Sky News Germany/ Police Dortmund
    Currently suspect that a further device has been found in the area of the incident. Police are saying it is a serious situation and are asking the public to avoid the area.

What did I tell yez!!!

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No one remembers that because Liverpool fans don't like you to remember it. The 96 though...

Bloody hell, are you that desparate to score points that you bring that here.

Plenty of people who support Liverpool remember Heysel.
    Perhaps you should read this.

Collie D wrote: »
    Just Googled polenknaller and watched a couple of YouTube videos...I assume they're not legal?

They're not legal in Germany. But they can be bought in Poland. Hence the name.

But its not that by the sound of it anyway.

• Advertisement

Delighted nobodies hurt either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

murpho999 wrote: »
    Bloody hell, are you that desparate to score points that you bring that here.

Plenty of people who support Liverpool remember Heysel.
    Perhaps you should read this.

Some people have selective memories thats why.

Why the hell are people bringing Liverpool into this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Jealous people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Peace crackers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

It's a CL night, they've SFA else to do.

• Advertisement

Since the focus has moved to Liverpool etc best to take this to the Soccer forum

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/103191541

please read the charter before posting.

Mod

And.... everyone doesn't have access to soccer so I'll open this back up, with the following in mind:

Please keep discussion to the topic, what Liverpool are at or the IRA for that matter, isn't on topic.

Keep it civil and on topic or we'll need to resort to thread bans. I'd also ask people to use sources... lots of "facts" and "I know because I know" so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Whats a "medium gauge bomb"?

From the photos, it looks like it was only blast damage that put the windows in.

Bombs, IED's etc have different characteristics depending on composition, target and intent.

Shrapnel and scorch marks are not always present after an explosion, especially if shrapnel components were not part of the device.

Depending on the placement of the device, you may get a certain amount of debris that is projected as a result of the blast wave.

It was most likely an IED which uses a low explosive or a concussion explosion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Well this is UEFA.
    Anyone else remember Heysel when 30 plus Italians died.
    An hour or so later the match was played.

Juve won 1-0 by the way.

Were there explosions at Heysel? Was Europe on high alert due to multiple terrorist attacks? While the two are related through football, they are quite different, and in both circumstances, calling off the match would have been a good call.

If tonights match went ahead and there was subsequent explosions causing death or serious injuries, people would be up in arms over the decision to go ahead with the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

https://twitter.com/ReutersSports/status/851889325440675844

authorities definitely taking it seriously anyway despite the countless stray firework theories

• Advertisement
Advertisement