Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity bill too high for just 2 people?

Options
  • 11-04-2017 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi folks,
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I just got a bill from SSE, 169 euro for 777kwh (actual, not estimated reading). It seems pretty steep, and is significantly higher than previous bills. There's 2 of us living in a suburban house. We have no dryer, our heating is with Calor Gas, no TV, we're both in work all day Monday to Friday. We do about 3 loads of laundry per week, and run the dishwasher every two days. I'm not sure if I'm being silly and the bill is actually ok though for our usage? In previous rentals bills were included so we don't have anything to compare to.
    Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Seems expensive. What plan are you on? Maybe no plan? (Could be it, i.e you are getting charged too high a rate by being on a 15 day rolling contract?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 hannah123

We're on SmartSaver Std 24hr, with direct debit and e-billing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Just checked our latest bill. We used 754 kwh in the 2 month billing period. BUT there are four of us. We have a tumble dryer. I do 5 to 6 loads of laundry a week. The dishwasher is running every day. I bake a lot (electric oven). We have two TVs and a playstation. Four phones to charge, 2 tablets, 3 laptops. So your usage seems high for just 2.
    Were the previous bills underestimated? Could be that.

Wow, ok. So that is weird!!
    Good idea but all of our bills have been actual readings. I've submitted the reading every billing period.

Our fridge has been a bit odd recently, like super cold even though it's on the lowest setting.. I wonder could something like that have an effect though. I literally can't think of anything else. We're good about turning off lights, not leaving things plugged in, all that stuff. I think that's why I'm so confused, by rights our bill should be pretty low!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

hannah123 wrote:
    Wow, ok. So that is weird!! Good idea but all of our bills have been actual readings. I've submitted the reading every billing period.

hannah123 wrote:
    Our fridge has been a bit odd recently, like super cold even though it's on the lowest setting.. I wonder could something like that have an effect though. I literally can't think of anything else. We're good about turning off lights, not leaving things plugged in, all that stuff. I think that's why I'm so confused, by rights our bill should be pretty low!

Can you see your metre? As in seeing the dial spin? If you can see is it moving at a quick rate. After that all you can do is start switching things off one by one and seeing if you can identify what is being excessive. If anything. Bill does seem very high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is there any pump or outside well?

Could there be a heating unit in attic to stop pipes freezing?

No pump or outside well, we're in a housing estate. No heating unit that I know of. Thinking about buying one of those power meters that you plug appliances into, and see if we can identify a culprit. The house meter box is accessible but I honestly wouldn't know what is excessive spinning and what is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

hannah123 wrote: »
    No pump or outside well, we're in a housing estate. No heating unit that I know of. Thinking about buying one of those power meters that you plug appliances into, and see if we can identify a culprit. The house meter box is accessible but I honestly wouldn't know what is excessive spinning and what is normal.

Was your house the show house?

Is there any extra cable leaving from where meter is?

Is it possible someone has taken a connection off of yours.

Advertisement