Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resting on Laurels - The Front Garden

Options
  • 11-04-2017 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

So with the veggie garden nearing completion I need to start thinking about the mess that is my front garden.

Before I do though I planted some Laurel bushes last year (at the wrong time) and they don't seem to be doing so well.

Some of the leaves look like this:

414375.jpg

Some of the bushes look a bit sad:

414376.jpg

Yet others in one corner seem happy out

414377.jpg

Any thoughts? Perhaps a lack of water, the healthy ones are sort of down hill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They seem to be planted very close to the wall. Did you water them regularly while they were getting established?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Too near the wall for proper watering. Water them every time they get dry - for the next year. Mulch them with compost too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Lumen wrote: »
    They seem to be planted very close to the wall. Did you water them regularly while they were getting established?

Not really and I sort of let them get very weedy. Too late or can they be saved?
    Too near the wall for proper watering. Water them every time they get dry - for the next year. Mulch them with compost too.

Will do! Should I look at replanting them or planting some more a bit further back? I was going to mulch them with some straw from the stable the wife goes too, would that be bad for them, or would compost be better?

Not really and I sort of let them get very weedy. Too late or can they be saved?

You could try watering them regularly and then move them when they're stronger.

Your problem is this:

220px-Wall_Footing.jpg

If you mulch and water properly for the next year, they should recover.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys very much appreciated!

Should I be doing any pruning?

Thanks guys, the Laurels seem to be rebounding a bit. What are 'deez yokes' :pac: please?

415828.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Thanks guys, the Laurels seem to be rebounding a bit. What are 'deez yokes' :pac: please?

415828.jpg

Haha they were/are conifers most likely goldcrest. They're beyond saving imo. You could trim out the brown bits but they'll always look neglected. If they were in my garden I'd remove tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Laurels are best used (if they have to be planted at all!) as filler in wooden fences, up against a contiguous stone/concrete wall they are the wrong choice - would be better to rip em out and go with something slow growing and spiky - how about Picea Pungens 'Globosa' which add some nice blues to edge the green of the lawn? The wall will be a useful shelter in the establishing years.

Thanks Celtic! I wasn't overly happy with them any way to be honest so I think I'll pull them and plant some flowers.

• Advertisement

Laurels are best used (if they have to be planted at all!) as filler in wooden fences, up against a contiguous stone/concrete wall they are the wrong choice - would be better to rip em out and go with something slow growing and spiky - how about Picea Pungens 'Globosa' which add some nice blues to edge the green of the lawn? The wall will be a useful shelter in the establishing years.

I was hoping for a quick screen, so much so I was looking at Leylandii. Would Laurels be a poor choice even for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I was hoping for a quick screen, so much so I was looking at Leylandii. Would Laurels be a poor choice even for that?

This is the thing isn't it? Size and speed! Both of them are grow so quickly and strongly they end up taking over your life :( My own home is surrounded by a Laurel at the front and sure it's a nice sound deadener/wind break but it's now about 4 feet wide and nearly 6 feet tall and I'd love to take a chainsaw to it! :pac:

Leylandii's should be banned from suburbia in my opinion!

Have to say that blue bush is lovely looking! I do wish I'd found my way in there before I started out the front. You guys are extremely knowledgeable and helpful! Thank you!

Don't plant Lleylandii. It's not just the size and aggressiveness, they can't be pruned heavily so are impossible to bring back once they get too big.

Lumen wrote: »
    Don't plant Lleylandii. It's not just the size and aggressiveness, they can't be pruned heavily so are impossible to bring back once they get too big.

The laurels where instead of the Lleylandii, so don't worry no 60ft monsters going in the front garden :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think you should do a bit more research on the picea before deciding on it, tbh.

looksee wrote: »
    I think you should do a bit more research on the picea before deciding on it, tbh.

No more bushes for me I'm afraid unless I manage to kill the Laurels. They seem to have bounced back a bit. I decided to water the conifer, see what it does - might as well give it a drink while I decide what to do.

So the Laurels have rebounded nicely, I'm still getting some issues on the leaves shriveling and or going brown/black at the ends but I think this is just a combination of where they are and perhaps watering them too much now. They're certainly a lot bigger! I fed them and mulched them with some compost and top soil.

I'm not wondering could I put down some bark or gravel around them as the weeds are a bloody nightmare under them or is it too soon/not a good idea in general. If I am doing it should I put down some weed control fabric first?

Photos as per post one but with more healthy plants - let me know if more up to date photos would help.

Thanks for all the help folks!!

Guys sorry to keep bumping but any suggestions how to make them go sideways rather than up. I cut the tops and new sprouts appear, do I need to trim the sides or will that happen naturally if I keep trimming the tops?

Thanks again for all the help!

Guys sorry to keep bumping but any suggestions how to make them go sideways rather than up. I cut the tops and new sprouts appear, do I need to trim the sides or will that happen naturally if I keep trimming the tops?

Thanks again for all the help!

You actually should have trimmed the sides and left the tops until they were at the desired height.

• Advertisement

You actually should have trimmed the sides and left the tops until they were at the desired height.

They're there now so I guess start trimming the sides? Just go at them a bit with manual hedge trimmers?

Sorry to clarify they're the right height now so just keep trimming the tops and they'll bush 'out'?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sorry to clarify they're the right height now so just keep trimming the tops and they'll bush 'out'?

Yes thats it exactly, they will naturally grow wherever they can, so if your chopping off the top they'll put their energies into spreading out, that's the theory anyhow.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Thanks Supercell, I'll start giving them a hair cut weekly!

Advertisement