Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 science HELP!!

Options
  • 11-04-2017 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I'm not sure whether to do 3 sciences or not. I really like chemistry it was my favourite in fourth year. Physics interested me so much and I liked learning the bits for it. And biology also interests me and I'm beginning to like it. Anyone who has done all 3 or even has done any of the 3 could ye help me out on this ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dylanw2u

Hi, I myself am In 5th year and only do 1 science; Biology. However, my friend does all 3 sciences. For her, she does it because she said she's always had an interest in the three sciences, and she wants to pursue a career in a science, so naturally by picking the 3 she's opening more door ways for herself. Just last week before easter break, we had to give 4th years a talk on subjects and tell the what its like, she told 4th years what the three sciences were like and what its like choosing all three. She said that when it comes ti Biology you need to love the subject, and she emphasized on "love" greatly, if you don't have a passion for the subject you won't do well in it as it has an IMMENSE amount of learning in it, and I truly mean immense, you need to learn so much off for the subject. When it came to Physics and Chemistry she said that if you like Physics you'll generally like Chemistry and vice versa, however she said that Physics can be hard to get the hang of it you're not good at maths, considering the Science is a Science that includes mathematics. It can be even harder for those who do ordinary maths, and there's only 1 physics class in our year, consisting of 12 people. And the production of A's for Physics in our school hasn't been high (and honestly it hasn't been high in other secondary schools around Ireland). Chemistry is easier than Physics (in her opinion) but again it is very mathematics based, you need to learn chemistry while at the same time learn how to re-do certain math formulas in order to correlate it with a certain question, and that can be very difficult, but otherwise it is generally not as maths based as Physics and is easier to get the hang of. She ended her talk with saying how if you intend to do 3 sciences, make sure you know what career you intend on doing in life, because by not choosing a business and humanitarian subject (Geography/History) can close a lot of careers for people, you shouldn't rush into it, and you should definitely talk to your career's guidance counselor about picking three sciences.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Sb567

Dylanw2u wrote: »
    Hi, I myself am In 5th year and only do 1 science; Biology. However, my friend does all 3 sciences. For her, she does it because she said she's always had an interest in the three sciences, and she wants to pursue a career in a science, so naturally by picking the 3 she's opening more door ways for herself. Just last week before easter break, we had to give 4th years a talk on subjects and tell the what its like, she told 4th years what the three sciences were like and what its like choosing all three. She said that when it comes ti Biology you need to love the subject, and she emphasized on "love" greatly, if you don't have a passion for the subject you won't do well in it as it has an IMMENSE amount of learning in it, and I truly mean immense, you need to learn so much off for the subject. When it came to Physics and Chemistry she said that if you like Physics you'll generally like Chemistry and vice versa, however she said that Physics can be hard to get the hang of it you're not good at maths, considering the Science is a Science that includes mathematics. It can be even harder for those who do ordinary maths, and there's only 1 physics class in our year, consisting of 12 people. And the production of A's for Physics in our school hasn't been high (and honestly it hasn't been high in other secondary schools around Ireland). Chemistry is easier than Physics (in her opinion) but again it is very mathematics based, you need to learn chemistry while at the same time learn how to re-do certain math formulas in order to correlate it with a certain question, and that can be very difficult, but otherwise it is generally not as maths based as Physics and is easier to get the hang of. She ended her talk with saying how if you intend to do 3 sciences, make sure you know what career you intend on doing in life, because by not choosing a business and humanitarian subject (Geography/History) can close a lot of careers for people, you shouldn't rush into it, and you should definitely talk to your career's guidance counselor about picking three sciences.

Thank you so so much!! That was really good for me to read! I already met the guidance counsellor and she is all for it. If you are ever talking to that girl you were talking about could you ask her if doing all 3 together is a huge workload or is it the same as any other subjects. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dylanw2u

I'm actually going to her house tomorrow as we're having a studying session together, I'll ask her about how she finds the workload!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

She said that when it comes ti Biology you need to love the subject, and she emphasized on "love" greatly, if you don't have a passion for the subject you won't do well in it as it has an IMMENSE amount of learning in it, and I truly mean immense, you need to learn so much off for the subject.

I have to disagree with your friend. I do not like Biology and find it incredibly boring, yet I got a H1 in my mock. Yes there is a lot to learn, however a passion for Biology is not required to do well - you will succeed in Biology if you simply put in the work, it is not a tricky subject except for a few chapters (respiration, photosynthesis come to mind)

I do Chemistry too and LOVE it. I always hear people harp on about how its impossible to understand, but once you give it some time and read things through a couple of times it is very logical and easy to comprehend. The chemistry course is actually quite short in comparison to Biology too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you have an interest in them and like the subjects, I can't see why doing all three would be an issue.
    You are lucky that your school is able to offer all three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

As long as you are not excluding a foreign language by picking a third science then there is no problem.

I'm actually going to her house tomorrow as we're having a studying session together, I'll ask her about how she finds the workload!

Do please if you can thank you!

hasdanta wrote: »
    I have to disagree with your friend. I do not like Biology and find it incredibly boring, yet I got a H1 in my mock. Yes there is a lot to learn, however a passion for Biology is not required to do well - you will succeed in Biology if you simply put in the work, it is not a tricky subject except for a few chapters (respiration, photosynthesis come to mind)

I do Chemistry too and LOVE it. I always hear people harp on about how its impossible to understand, but once you give it some time and read things through a couple of times it is very logical and easy to comprehend. The chemistry course is actually quite short in comparison to Biology too.

Yeah I'm not the biggest lover of biology yet and I'm saying yet because we only started it in ty. I loved chemsitry too it's so good and as you said easy to understand once you go over it a couple of times. A H1 in the mock?? Thats unreal!!

As long as you are not excluding a foreign language by picking a third science then there is no problem.

No I have french, bio, chem, physics.

spurious wrote: »
    If you have an interest in them and like the subjects, I can't see why doing all three would be an issue.
    You are lucky that your school is able to offer all three.

You think so? Yeah I didn't think it was a big deal that my school offered all three but then I heard other schools don't offer all three??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

I've sent you a PM about this

I've sent you a PM about this

Thank you!

Advertisement