Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 seater car hire

Options
  • 11-04-2017 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    A group of us (5 adults and 3children) are travelling to Florida this summer. We are looking to hire 1 car to suit us all, a 12 seater van seems to be the best option. All of the hire companies will take a booking but none of them mention what licence the driver will need .
    I am going to be the only driver but I only have a full car licence, does anyone know if this will do?
    Has any one hired a 12 seater with just the normal licence?
    Don't want to get turned away/laughed at when I arrive at the desk.
    Any help with the above greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

wilser wrote: »
    Hi,
    A group of us (5 adults and 3children) are travelling to Florida this summer. We are looking to hire 1 car to suit us all, a 12 seater van seems to be the best option. All of the hire companies will take a booking but none of them mention what licence the driver will need .
    I am going to be the only driver but I only have a full car licence, does anyone know if this will do?
    Has any one hired a 12 seater with just the normal licence?
    Don't want to get turned away/laughed at when I arrive at the desk.
    Any help with the above greatly appreciated.

https://www.ndls.ie/licence-categories.html

Just check what your licence says if it's standard C then limited to 8 passengers and max weight of 3,500 kgs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭wilser

Yeah just checked mine, its up to 8 passengers and 3500kg. Just can't seem to find a car big enough for us all

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is it not an 8 seater you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭wilser

ted1 wrote: »
    Is it not an 8 seater you need?

One child is in a wheelchair so really need an 8 seater with a decent sized boot, all the ones I seen online look like the boot is too small when you are using the last row of seats.
    That was the thinking behind a 12 seater tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Well I think you need to look at the Florida License requirements dont you?

Just randomly searching it looks like you'd be fine in California for instance as long as you're not doing it for hire. But every state is different and can have separate laws although California is usually one of the strictest. You should phone the rental company in Florida, dont talk to some national office.

https://www.nationalcar.com/en_US/car-details/us/rvar-12-passenger-van.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement