Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smokers and wood chips.

• 11-04-2017 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have decided to start smoking meats at home. I was wondering where the best place is to buy smokers and also wood chips. Has anybody got any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

guys making hurleys are a great scource of ash shavings. they dont usually use exotic timbers or man made boards. so the shavings are fairly clean and pure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 PanK

this guys look like a good spot sausagehut.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭shaywest

homebase have a good selection of barbeques with smoker attachments
    bit pricy though ,www.pintrest.com for great ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I've done a bit of hot smoking (particularly fish) and very nice it was too.

A few questions come to mind immediately.

Do you want to do cold smoking or hot smoking?

Your location may also be relevant as between a back garden in an urban setting, which might result in 'air pollution' issues vs a rural location where you have no close neighbours (in terms of proximity rather than friendship ;-) ) This will impact on the type of smoker and smoking process that is feasible.

The types and cuts of meat: This will impact on the size of unit.

Whether you're OK with additives or want a very clean organic process. This is self- explanatory.

How scientific are you? This is very important as, if you don't understand what changes take place in the meat during the different types of smoking, with different (or no) chemicals, you may need to start very small, learn a lot and work your way into more advanced methods.

HTH

Advertisement