Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best hybrid bikes?

Options
  • 11-04-2017 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some advice on choosing a hybrid bike. I currently have a Specialized Crossroads bike, but it's showing it's age and I think it's time to upgrade.

I'm looking for something lightweight, with the narrower type of handlebars (tried a bike today with the larger bars and felt like I was maneuvering a bus!) and preferably with hydraulic brakes, although I'm still not 100% sure they're worth the extra money - waiting to be convinced!

Price range would be in the €500 to €700 bracket. Main use would be commuting to and from work.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

VonLuck wrote: »
    I'm looking for some advice on choosing a hybrid bike. I currently have a Specialized Crossroads bike, but it's showing it's age and I think it's time to upgrade.

I'm looking for something lightweight, with the narrower type of handlebars (tried a bike today with the larger bars and felt like I was maneuvering a bus!) and preferably with hydraulic brakes, although I'm still not 100% sure they're worth the extra money - waiting to be convinced!

Price range would be in the €500 to €700 bracket. Main use would be commuting to and from work.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Have a look at the kona dew.

Bullet proof light for a hybrid hydraulic disc brakes pannier mounts the whole lot.

Super comfortable as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I bought a Cube Hybrid SL Road Pro, the other day - €799

The SL Road is - €649, and may be worth a look.

Ticks the box for Hydraulic brakes, Narrow bar, Pannier and Mud guard mounts anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Giant Roam is a great bit of kit for around 600 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Have a look at the kona dew.

Bullet proof light for a hybrid hydraulic disc brakes pannier mounts the whole lot.

Super comfortable as well

Is that the Kona Dew Plus? I'm trying to find a stockist in Ireland with no luck.
    moonboy52 wrote: »
    I bought a Cube Hybrid SL Road Pro, the other day - Ã႒¢â€šÂ¬799

The SL Road is - Ã႒¢â€šÂ¬649, and may be worth a look.

Ticks the box for Hydraulic brakes, Narrow bar, Pannier and Mud guard mounts anyway

I had looked at Cube before, they seem like a good bike and may fit the bill. Again, I'll have to find a stockist and bring it for a test cycle.
    MysticMonk wrote: »
    Giant Roam is a great bit of kit for around 600 euros.

Just checked it out. Not really looking for a bike with front suspension. Don't see it as needed cycling around the city!

Is that the Kona Dew Plus? I'm trying to find a stockist in Ireland with no luck.

I have a dew plus at the moment.

Before that I had the dew drop, which is identical but has drop handlebars. It was excellent.

• Advertisement

Just checked it out. Not really looking for a bike with front suspension. Don't see it as needed cycling around the city!

You can simply lock the suspension with a twist so it doest bounce.

You can simply lock the suspension with a twist so it doest bounce.

And then lug it around?

And then lug it around?

:confused:

The suspension for the front fork is adjustable..you can lock it so it doesnt work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

:confused:

The suspension for the front fork is adjustable..you can lock it so it doesnt work

I think OP means to cycle around with the extra weight

I think OP means to cycle around with the extra weight

Meh,its a bike not a dog sled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm looking for something lightweight, with the narrower type of handlebars (tried a bike today with the larger bars and felt like I was maneuvering a bus!)
    In most cases the handlebars can be cut down to size, unless there is weird bends or changes in diameter on them. I have heard they can purposely make them too long knowing/intending for them to be trimmed down. Mine were very big when I got them, cut about an inch off either end and cycled for a week or 2, then cut more, then cut more again. I was fairly sure I was going to be cutting more but just wanted to be sure so cycled a few days with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I know a boring one but you really cannot go wrong with a Trek FX hybrid. They are bullet proof and there is a version for every price range. My 2nd bike is a 7.2FX which I bought in 2008 and I just love using it.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the Boardman Hybrid Comp bicycle? Seems to be popular.

This is the particular bicycle I am referring to if anyone has any knowledge of it:

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/889-hybrid-comp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

If it's the 600e one in Halfords, when I enquired about it here (question about it and the Cube SL pro Hybrid), one response was Mechanical disc brakes were not great.

To be honest, you'd be better off going to UK cycling forums or the like for proper responses to your questions

Advertisement