Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the days of the temporary transfer gone?

Options
  • 11-04-2017 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

Time was you could buy a car, give your insurer a buzz, transfer it onto your policy temporarily in place of your own car to get you home and there was practically no questions asked.
    I even bought a car in the UK, called the insurer in Ireland, gave them the UK reg and did the transfer to cover for me long drive home.

Yesterday, before I left to pick up a car in Dublin, I rang the insurer to give them the details and the reg and I might as well have slapped them in the face.
    I first got an agent on the phone who had a huge issue with me technically not being the owner of the vehicle right that moment. When they spoke to a manager about it, I was told that as long as the vehicle had a valid NCT, "they would do it for me on this one and only occasion, but certainly not ever again as it's hugely naughty".............or words to that effect!

Is that where we are now? We have to trailer home cars that we just want temporary cover on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

No, you can buy insurance for a day online...I think you may need a UK address (can't quite remember though).
    My insurers wouldn't do a temporary transfer for me so I insured the car for the day...I think it cost around £60 though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Agricola wrote: »
    Time was you could buy a car, give your insurer a buzz, transfer it onto your policy temporarily in place of your own car to get you home and there was practically no questions asked.
    I even bought a car in the UK, called the insurer in Ireland, gave them the UK reg and did the transfer to cover for me long drive home.

Yesterday, before I left to pick up a car in Dublin, I rang the insurer to give them the details and the reg and I might as well have slapped them in the face.
    I first got an agent on the phone who had a huge issue with me technically not being the owner of the vehicle right that moment. When they spoke to a manager about it, I was told that as long as the vehicle had a valid NCT, "they would do it for me on this one and only occasion, but certainly not ever again as it's hugely naughty".............or words to that effect!

Is that where we are now? We have to trailer home cars that we just want temporary cover on?

Insurers have always had an issue with doing temporary transfers onto vehicles you own, it's not a new phenomenon.

That coupled with people abusing the facility is probably why you had difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

exaisle wrote: »
    No, you can buy insurance for a day online...I think you may need a UK address (can't quite remember though).
    My insurers wouldn't do a temporary transfer for me so I insured the car for the day...I think it cost around £60 though..

Didn't know about this. Useful facility if you're absolutely stuck.
    Rod Munch wrote: »
    Insurers have always had an issue with doing temporary transfers onto vehicles you own, it's not a new phenomenon.

That coupled with people abusing the facility is probably why you had difficulty.

Yes, probably a lot to do with people ringing them every week for transfers. You'd wonder could they not implement a system like the AA with callouts where you're allowed I believe 6 call outs in a 12 month period and after that it becomes problematic. Maybe in this case, make it 2 transfers in the year or something.
    People should have the option to do a temporary transfers if they have signed themselves as the new keeper on the logbook on that given date....and there's a valid NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

exaisle wrote: »

I have never found (in 7 car purchases in the UK) a UK driveaway insurance which was vald for non residents. It's not just access to a UK address but living there. Not alone is the insurance invalid but it's a criminal mater with a £1,000 fine and upto 6 months in prison. NOt just a theoretical thing as ANPR will pick it up if you driveaway on the same day as the motor insurers' database won't have been updated to show the car as insured.

Really not a viable option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Marcusm wrote: »
    I have never found (in 7 car purchases in the UK) a UK driveaway insurance which was vald for non residents. It's not just access to a UK address but living there. Not alone is the insurance invalid but it's a criminal mater with a £1,000 fine and upto 6 months in prison. NOt just a theoretical thing as ANPR will pick it up if you driveaway on the same day as the motor insurers' database won't have been updated to show the car as insured.

Really not a viable option.
    Wouldn't APNR also pick it up as uninsured of you were driving it on an Irish transferred policy?

I had no issue transferring a policy recently on a UK registered import.

• Advertisement
Advertisement