Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New car as current car is dying

Options
  • 12-04-2017 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

I'm buying a new car this week and just wondering should I start a new insurance policy or will I lose this years NCB ?
    Or will the 8 months I've been insured this year transfer over to the next company ?

My insurance is jumping from 147 to 266 a month going from a 1.5 engine to 1.6
    Now I can pay that for time being until renewal in august,

Or should I look for another insurance policy ?
    Anyone change vehicle mid insurance ? What's the situation ?

Other details
    This will be my 2nd year NCB come august
    Age 25
    on provisional license.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

steo_magra wrote: »
    I'm buying a new car this week and just wondering should I start a new insurance policy or will I lose this years NCB ?
    Or will the 8 months I've been insured this year transfer over to the next company ?

Other details
    Age 25
    on provisional license.

There are no provisional licenses, what you have is a learner permit and you are paying crazy money because they assume you are going to drive unaccompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Other details
    Age 25
    on provisional license.

Generally what you do is continue with the same policy on the new car. If they are charging a lot extra for the new car then you can look into getting a new policy and cancelling the current one but 9 times out of 10 it's not worth it as you would lose the ncb you have been earning this year and you'll be back down to 1 year. Your best bet is to do a permanent substitute on your current policy then search the market come renewal time in August. At least then you'll have 2 years ncb.

Btw, it's advisable when you are looking for cars, check with your insurance company to see if there's an additional premium before buying. That way it can be taken into consideration when picking your car and your not hit with unexpected charges after purchase. They can normally quote once you have the reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Tigger wrote: »
    There are no provisional licenses, what you have is a learner permit and you are paying crazy money because they assume you are going to drive unaccompanied.

Your reply is totally unhelpful why bother mate honest to god.

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    Generally what you do is continue with the same policy on the new car. If they are charging a lot extra for the new car then you can look into getting a new policy and cancelling the current one but 9 times out of 10 it's not worth it as you would lose the ncb you have been earning this year and you'll be back down to 1 year. Your best bet is to do a permanent substitute on your current policy then search the market come renewal time in August. At least then you'll have 2 years ncb.

Btw, it's advisable when you are looking for cars, check with your insurance company to see if there's an additional premium before buying. That way it can be taken into consideration when picking your car and your not hit with unexpected charges after purchase. They can normally quote once you have the reg.

That's the information I was looking for thanks. See out this years no claims and pay the excess.
    See what renewal comes in at and then I might down grade.

Cows Go µ wrote: »

Also unfortunately I didnt have any choice when picking cars as im getting this from a friend for a very reasonable price so I can sell on for profit once my renewal comes around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Your reply is totally unhelpful why bother mate honest to god.

Because I don't agree with sharing the road with someone who should t be driving

Because I don't agree with sharing the road with someone who should t be driving

*Shouldn't

That's great. Why don't you keep your opinions to yourself instead of posting smart remarks on other peoples threads ? I smell a keyboard warrior on the loose.

also you'll be pleased to know they halved my quote since ringing them again yesterday :D:D:D

Advertisement