Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Gordon in Ireland

Options
  • 12-04-2017 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭

Reading Lytton Strachey's Eminent Victorians spurred me on to a minor Gordon of Khartoum phase.

Came across a documentary presented by the great Robert Hardy he mentioned he spent some time in Ireland, Dubiln most probably.

Has anyone any information about Gordon's time in Ireland? It was most probably a military posting, perhaps uneventful and brief, but if anyone would like to share.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

bobbyss wrote: »
    Reading Lytton Strachey's Eminent Victorians spurred me on to a minor Gordon of Khartoum phase.

Came across a documentary presented by the great Robert Hardy he mentioned he spent some time in Ireland, Dubiln most probably.

Has anyone any information about Gordon's time in Ireland? It was most probably a military posting, perhaps uneventful and brief, but if anyone would like to share.

AFAI recall he spent part of his childhood in Ireland - his father was army, as were his grandfather and gggrandfather. Strachey's chapter on him in the "E. V" book has been criticised as being inaccurate (cannot remember who claimed that, perhaps it was Shane Leslie?).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭bobbyss

AFAI recall he spent part of his childhood in Ireland - his father was army, as were his grandfather and gggrandfather. Strachey's chapter on him in the "E. V" book has been criticised as being inaccurate (cannot remember who claimed that, perhaps it was Shane Leslie?).

Thanks.
    I don't think there is a specific reference to his time in Ireland in the book but Hardy mentioned time spent in Dublin.

I would not be too worried about inaccuracies. It was written over a hundred years ago and I just want taste of his life in general. The book itself was it seems, a big thing when it came out and I can understand why. It snaps along, it can be withering and it is well written too. However by today's standard we are well used to that style.

Advertisement