Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks Cork City Council

Options
  • 12-04-2017 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

What a narrow minded bunch
    Had this from a worker there, new parking regime in and around the Mercy Hosp area initially, but will be almost certainly be introduced city wide within a few months
    They are extending the parking for an extra 2 hours until 8.30pm for 6 days a week to 'catch' the following eventually.
    1.Students attending night classes in various colleges in and around the city
    2.Friday/ Saturday evening night shoppers
    3.People that come in to town for meals in restaurants
    4 Hospital visitors (especially Mercy and SIVUH)

They are also reducing 2hr zones to 1 hour.

Congrats on trying to kill the city:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

But why are the city traders not kicking up more of a fuss about this? People should be encouraged to go into the city not penalised for it. If public transport was better I might understand so people would be more inclined to use a bus, but you cannot exactly set your watch by a bus. FFS, I live about 4kms outside the city and have no bus service to the city unless I walk for 15 minutes to the closest bus stop.

Why does no business come forward and suggest validated parking ie, spent €10 or whatever in any Merchants Quay shop you get your parking free?

No wonder people prefer go to MP or Wilton or where ever :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

gimmick wrote: »

No wonder people prefer go to MP or Wilton or where ever :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Even then, only so many cars can get in and out of those places without getting totally clogged with traffic.

Even then, only so many cars can get in and out of those places without getting totally clogged with traffic.

Ya, mahon is a disaster. At least Wilton has 2 exits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

We've started to head out to Middleton to shop and eat with the kids, which is ludicrous but the council are intent on closing down the city. Sher they have free parking themselves so feck the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Thats absurd really.

They might as well go the whole hog and start charging on Sunday too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭walsh08

Oh but the businesses Did kick up a stink and submitted objections last July.The council went directly against what the businesses asked for.

Remember This facebook post from the Cornstore:
    https://www.facebook.com/cornstore.cork/photos/pcb.794593273976560/794591240643430/?type=3 (or just google Cornstore city council parking).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Aren't they also extending the opening hours of North Main Street Multistory to 9:30pm MON-SUN as well though?

surely easier for most to use that and leave the on street parking for the residents of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Aren't they also extending the opening hours of North Main Street Multistory to 9:30pm MON-SUN as well though?

surely easier for most to use that and leave the on street parking for the residents of the area.

Reading between the lines it would seem the measures are being put in place for residents similar to when parking times were extended by the Bons.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

Just park in a car park, more cars same roads, something has to give. I'm surprised Patrick Street was ever redeveloped given the loss of on a street Parking mentality that rears its head by each time somthing is proposed to make the city a bit more livable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Is it the councilors that come up with these Bull**** ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

cc wrote: »
    Just park in a car park, more cars same roads, something has to give. I'm surprised Patrick Street was ever redeveloped given the loss of on a street Parking mentality that rears its head by each time somthing is proposed to make the city a bit more livable.
    It's designed to make more money for the council. Livable...give me a break; if the same number of cars just pay for longer parking, what does that achieve for living in the city? It's a money making exercise, which may backfire if it turns people away from the city center.

It's designed to make more money for the council. Livable...give me a break; if the same number of cars just pay for longer parking, what does that achieve for living in the city? It's a money making exercise, which may backfire if it turns people away from the city center.

well yes more livable for residents of the middle parish, so they don't have to fight for parking when they get home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

It's very easy to paint as money making without any context, it increases the turnover of spaces and brings pricing in line with the city owned car parks that charge per hour. God forbid it might also encourage other forms transport which might ease conjestion which is only going to increase each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

well yes more livable for residents of the middle parish, so they don't have to fight for parking when they get home from work.

Won't they still have to fight for it? And pay extra and move their car every hour I assume, if they finish before 8:30pm. The parking permits only function outside the hours for paid parking, don't they?

pwurple wrote: »
    Won't they still have to fight for it? And pay extra and move their car every hour I assume, if they finish before 8:30pm. The parking permits only function outside the hours for paid parking, don't they?

No the permit allows parking in the pay zone without time limits etc. It would be madness to have to move your car every hour if you lived inside the city parking zones.

So encourage more car use for those living in the city center? Ok.

It's very easy to paint as money making without any context, it increases the turnover of spaces and brings pricing in line with the city owned car parks that charge per hour. God forbid it might also encourage other forms transport which might ease conjestion which is only going to increase each year.
    Yes, very easy, cause it is a money making exercise.

Walking down NMS at 9pm on a dark Wednesday night into a pretty deserted building isn't exactly the safest option around. Cannot imagine too may would be too keen, especially women. And rightly so.

What other forms to you suggest then? As I already have said the bus services into and out of the City are abject (when the poor darlings are not on strike)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I live on the North Mall and it will make it harder for me to find parking I reckon! My zone would be North Mall, Popes Quay, Shandon area. So I can see people that are going to the Mercy etc park around my area as the new rules don't apply to the zone I'm in.

It's already a nightmare to find parking most of the time anyway. Most days I'd be home by around 5, luckily.

Stupid idea really. Especially for restaurants around the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

Frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

The residents living near the Mercy want these parking changes.
    They have parking permits but most of the spaces are always taken up.

A similar thing happened around UCC because residents could not get parking. The students attending evening classes would take all the spaces after 6.30pm because it was free so they extended the hours to 8.30pm.

I think people living in the city centre should not need a car. I never had one living in boston, new york or london. Can we not even aspire to some public transport for urban living?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I think people living in the city centre should not need a car. I never had one living in boston, new york or london. Can we not even aspire to some public transport for urban living?

LOL - Are you actually comparing Cork to those cities?

You might get away without a car in Dublin, not a hope in Cork IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I live in the city centre & own a car, it's not used for getting around town rather visiting my aunt in West Cork, travelling to visit friends in a small town in Wicklow for the long w/end, going to Connemara for a race next weekend, the list goes on. There is no other way to get to these places other than by driving.

Not sure why you would think living in the centre as opposed to the 'burbs should mean you don't need a car :confused:

Can we not even aspire to some public transport for urban living?

No.
    Welcome to Ireland.

gimmick wrote: »
    Walking down NMS at 9pm on a dark Wednesday night into a pretty deserted building isn't exactly the safest option around. Cannot imagine too may would be too keen, especially women. And rightly so.

parking down dark back streets like Peters Street, Coach Street and and devonshire st is the alternative. I don't think that that are much safer than North Main Street. at least there you will have a secure parking space!

mik_da_man wrote: »

LOL - Are you actually comparing Cork to those cities?

You might get away without a car in Dublin, not a hope in Cork IMO.

I used the word "aspire". As in, wouldn't it be nice in the future...

It would but setting unreasonable aspirations such as saying we should aspire to have public transport systems like London and New York is an unrealistic place to begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

opus wrote: »
    I live in the city centre & own a car, it's not used for getting around town rather visiting my aunt in West Cork, travelling to visit friends in a small town in Wicklow for the long w/end, going to Connemara for a race next weekend, the list goes on. There is no other way to get to these places other than by driving.

Not sure why you would think living in the centre as opposed to the 'burbs should mean you don't need a car :confused:

I'd be the same. Never use it to get around the city but would use it to visit home (in Kerry) and visit my partners family that live in North Cork. It's nice to have one car between us, would be no need to have two cars as we are both on bus routes to work.

It would also be nice to have a driveway though ;)

• Advertisement

Public transport is not a sexy vote-getter. People here are only interested on how much will be in their pockets, what their property is worth and water charges. Hard to get people worked up about it, they would rather grin and bear it and get up earlier to get into work on time.

Advertisement