Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks Cork City Council

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It would but setting unreasonable aspirations such as saying we should aspire to have public transport systems like London and New York is an unrealistic place to begin.

Maybe we could "aspire" to our own past? We had trams and light rail in the city going out to blackrock and passage only a few decades ago. Car ownership should not be required in a place of Cork city population density.

Here's a map of the tram system Cork city had in the 1930's.
    Cork_City_Electric_Tramways.jpg

And here is douglas with a tram.
    1200px-A_street_scene_in_Cork_with_tram_and_passengers%21_%2816222787771%29.jpg

Not one of my tenants in the city owns a car. If they want to go for a drive to west cork or something they hire a car for the weekend, or use the go cars. Owning and maintaining a private car is one of the most expensive things I do. It's third on my list of yearly expenses, after childcare and my mortgage. I'd love to get rid of it. I want that dosh in my pocket.

Surely living in the city should come with those advantages. Not having to dig a well or have a septic tank, decent broadband, and reliable transport options.

If this strike has shown us anything, it's that Cork is far too dependent on the whims of bus drivers.

Here's a video of Cork from 1910. Note the transport system.

https://www.facebook.com/irisharound/videos/1584897248490544/

Also remember, in the 1800's Cork had the same population and a similar city profile to Edinburgh. It was 37th in terms of population size in all of Europe. It was bigger than any German city at the time, or dutch city. Berlin has a metro, tram, underground and buses now. Don't get me started on amsterdam. Water taxi's, where are they here?

There is no reason Cork can't be a city with decent transport. You'd swear I was talking about moving us all to the moon... it's been done before, the infrastructure is still under the tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The infrastructure, where it remains, is of no use now and not suited to modern re use.
    Everything will have to be built from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's simply not a political priority. Any politician in Cork who campaigns on massively upgrading public transport won't be elected. People just don't care enough about it. The politician who campaigns on lower taxes, getting rid of water charges etc. will be elected. We saw that in the most recent election. Rural politicians also won't have any interest in public transport in Cork city. The​ recent launch of the Cork 2050 document saw rural county councillors moaning that it didn't do anything for them. I'd love a world class transport system in Cork but the general public couldn't care less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I read somewhere recently from Corbett's tyres over to the main entrance of the Mercy by the quay wall is being made into a plaza. More cars being forced into rat runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The city will have to grind to a complete halt before the penny finally drops. Irish people can't see beyond the ends of their noses.

The city will have to grind to a complete halt before the penny finally drops. Irish people can't see beyond the ends of their noses.

With all the pedestrianisation going on it'll be too late when the penny drops.

Patrick Street,Grand Parade, Parnell place, have all been transformed for the worse. Then when you think of the state of Washington street and the cycle lanes.

They want to turn Ireland into Beijing.

All this started in 1999 with the main drainage program.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

KC161 wrote: »

Patrick Street,Grand Parade, Parnell place, have all been transformed for the worse. Then when you think of the state of Washington street and the cycle lanes.

Worse for cars...yes.
    Worse in terms of a nice city centre experience...no way.
    I would have no problem with them banning all cars from Grand Parade, Oliver Plunkett Street and Patrick Street to be honest.

Ludo wrote: »
    Worse for cars...yes.
    Worse in terms of a nice city centre experience...no way.
    I would have no problem with them banning all cars from Grand Parade, Oliver Plunkett Street and Patrick Street to be honest.

The public transport system here isn't good enough for that.

Imagine the car ban during a 3 week bus strike.

• Advertisement

The public transport system here isn't good enough for that.

Imagine the car ban during a 3 week bus strike.

Of course it is....in fact what i mean is it is irrelevant to it. No need to drive on those streets public transport or not. Park and walk.

Patrick Street,Grand Parade, Parnell place, have all been transformed for the worse.

This from the early 80s is enough for me to know the changes have been very good for the city. Cars and vehicles everywhere in a city is horrendous.

886496_10201864432045794_312202679_o.jpg

Give me this:

grand-parade-from-old-tax-office-6-10i1.jpg

over this any day of the week:

16143690_1413457115345830_3022866429848628930_o.jpg?w=1582

Give me this:

grand-parade-from-old-tax-office-6-10i1.jpg

over this any day of the week:

16143690_1413457115345830_3022866429848628930_o.jpg?w=1582

I'm the reverse

I'm the reverse

You want to see city streets clogged with cars with pedestrians relegated to narrow little footpaths on the sides? Cities are ultimately about people, not so you can park your car outside Debenhams on Pana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

You want to see city streets clogged with cars with pedestrians relegated to narrow little footpaths on the sides? Cities are ultimately about people, not so you can park your car outside Debenhams on Pana.
    Will you get over yourself. The city isn't what you define it as.

It's not all about cars. Look at the old photos of Cork Facebook page. People still had plenty of space.

I just don't like the look of the central island over the last 15 years.

No need for that in fairness. We are having a calm discussion so no need to get antagonistic.

Cities everywhere are getting less car friendly...this is life now and IMHO correct. Some people wont like that unfortunately but will have to adjust or in the long term be proven right and wait for it all to come round to the old way.

No need for that in fairness. We are having a calm discussion so no need to get antagonistic.

Cities everywhere are getting less car friendly...this is life now and IMHO correct. Some people wont like that unfortunately but will have to adjust or in the long term be proven right and wait for it all to come round to the old way.

I was raised the old fashioned way. Original is best. That is how I see it.

I was raised the old fashioned way. Original is best. That is how I see it.

eh but but but...the way before that was trams and NO cars at all. How far back is the best :-)

• Advertisement

eh but but but...the way before that was trams and NO cars at all. How far back is the best :-)

I'd welcome trams

Lol. Getting our knickers in a twist I see.

He was putting words in the posters mouth that he didn't say. And the usual aggressive tone as well.

Lol. Getting our knickers in a twist I see.
    You sure were.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd welcome trams

Yeah.
    You might if it didn't take up any road space or take any on street parking!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Look, it's fairly simple if they want people to come into the city they shouldn't make it difficult for motorists. I believe Dublin Town association recently did a survey that found the motorist spends alot more in Dublin than someone who comes in by any other method.

I'd imagine the same is true in Cork.

There are two problems about parking near The Mercy. Firstly, the hospital should have been moved to a green field site years ago. The place is a disaster, and not just for parking.

Secondly ,the residents themselves are disgraceful. They put cones out to reserve spaces. They don't own the street. If they want private parking they should buy a spot or move.

Yeah.
    You might if it didn't take up any road space or take any on street parking!

Luas style?

Works in Dublin.

It was planned for Cork pre recession.

Imagine a Luas to the likes of Blarney :pac:

FrStone wrote: »
    Look, it's fairly simple if they want people to come into the city they shouldn't make it difficult for motorists. I believe Dublin Town association recently did a survey that found the motorist spends alot more in Dublin than someone who comes in by any other method.

I'd imagine the same is true in Cork.

There are two problems about parking near The Mercy. Firstly, the hospital should have been moved to a green field site years ago. The place is a disaster, and not just for parking.

Secondly ,the residents themselves are disgraceful. They put cones out to reserve spaces. They don't own the street. If they want private parking they should buy a spot or move.
    Even today it could still be done, St Mary's in Gurranabraher would have been a good spot.

I have no idea what building work is going on there at present though.

I think the problem is the city councillors alright. Most of them voted down plans for those apartments in mahon... without it going near the actual qualified planners. Didn't like the idea of people living near their work or shops. Prefer to zone it so that everyone has to drive everywhere instead. Bonkers, and shows no long term strategy towards a vision of the city where journeys are short and achievable with a public transport infrastructure, walking or cycling.

It's generally not their fault personally. It's our system. like you say, they are voted in for water charges or whatever populist idea of the day, and then are dumped into this, untrained on strategy on development, or politics and how to actually get anything done. It just leaves them very poorly equiped to make the decisions they vote on, based on anything other than hunches.

I know people don't like the idea of career politicians with long terms in position, but I'm pretty tired of the amateurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

This from the early 80s is enough for me to know the changes have been very good for the city. Cars and vehicles everywhere in a city is horrendous.

886496_10201864432045794_312202679_o.jpg

good to see people walking in the middle of the roads was still common practice in the 80s

Advertisement