Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks Cork City Council

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

KC161 wrote: »
    The city will have to grind to a complete halt before the penny finally drops. Irish people can't see beyond the ends of their noses.

With all the pedestrianisation going on it'll be too late when the penny drops.

Patrick Street,Grand Parade, Parnell place, have all been transformed for the worse. Then when you think of the state of Washington street and the cycle lanes.

They want to turn Ireland into Beijing.

All this started in 1999 with the main drainage program.
    Beijing has one of the best subway systems in the world; 16 lines have been opened since 2007 and another 13 are either under construction or planned. There are still major issues with the pre 2007 lines, most notably overcrowding and a long walk between transfers and there are still arguments that the subway system is too focused on getting people in and out of the city from the suburbs rather than around the city itself (like Seoul or Hong Kong) but overall it is an absolutely fantastic service and once it is finished a lot of the current issues should be ironed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

snotboogie wrote: »
    Beijing has one of the best subway systems in the world; 16 lines have been opened since 2007 and another 13 are either under construction or planned. There are still major issues with the pre 2007 lines, most notably overcrowding and a long walk between transfers and there are still arguments that the subway system is too focused on getting people in and out of the city from the suburbs rather than around the city itself (like Seoul or Hong Kong) but overall it is an absolutely fantastic service and once it is finished a lot of the current issues should be ironed out.

That's me silenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

They don't enforce it as it is so not sure why they are even bothering to change the paid parking times now !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Was speaking with a friend about this at the weekend, and my criticism ended up being directed at the City Council. As per Pwurples comment - they're bang average & providing amateur service to the people of Cork imo

The only reason I know that I can sign up for the text parking is from reading this forum and being advised, I happened to park by a zone sign the other day but even then, the site is fairly poor on mobile.

I think if the Council were serious about imposing the parking times and reduction in duration of parking. I could actually get behind it, if there were services available to me that I can use. But in this instance, Park and Rides aren't advertised, the text to park isn't advertised & the bus service is a fúcking joke that literally fires a page full of digits at you to figure out where you're going as opposed to an infographic like this which imo, should be on every bus stop in the city. But every time I go to the cinema, I see the Cork City Council asking us all to pick up our dog shít or face a €150 fine.

To me, there's a distinct lack of drive in CCC to improve it's services, or even figure out where their services are failing. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that this change to parking times etc. if enforced properly, should be accompanied by some advertising on how best to park around the city, alternative services etc. and look for feedback from those using it. Their focus should be on interaction with people and the services as that would undoubtedly improve things, or at the very least, allow them to see or map out what people want improved. But from what I can see, this would be cutting edge thinking in the public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

D'Agger wrote: »
    Was speaking with a friend about this at the weekend, and my criticism ended up being directed at the City Council. As per Pwurples comment - they're bang average & providing amateur service to the people of Cork imo

The only reason I know that I can sign up for the text parking is from reading this forum and being advised, I happened to park by a zone sign the other day but even then, the site is fairly poor on mobile.

I think if the Council were serious about imposing the parking times and reduction in duration of parking. I could actually get behind it, if there were services available to me that I can use. But in this instance, Park and Rides aren't advertised, the text to park isn't advertised & the bus service is a fúcking joke that literally fires a page full of digits at you to figure out where you're going as opposed to an infographic like this which imo, should be on every bus stop in the city. But every time I go to the cinema, I see the Cork City Council asking us all to pick up our dog shít or face a €150 fine.

To me, there's a distinct lack of drive in CCC to improve it's services, or even figure out where their services are failing. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that this change to parking times etc. if enforced properly, should be accompanied by some advertising on how best to park around the city, alternative services etc. and look for feedback from those using it. Their focus should be on interaction with people and the services as that would undoubtedly improve things, or at the very least, allow them to see or map out what people want improved. But from what I can see, this would be cutting edge thinking in the public sector.
    Some excellent points here. Rather than just criticising CCC, which is very easy to do, you are offering some suggestions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement