Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing next Winter's Firewood now?

Options
  • 12-04-2017 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Is now the right time to begin preparing my firewood stack for next Winter? Cut down a few trees in February and they are in rings now. I'm guessing in order for them to be seasoned correctly for next winter the sooner I begin splitting them the better. I have a new electric log splitter to do all the hard work for me. What is the average time for sycamore to season properly? Please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

Anything you split now will be grand........for the winter after next.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Justjens wrote: »
    Anything you split now will be grand........for the winter after next.

It won't be bad for the coming winter if it's split and kept dry for the next few months either maybe not perfect but I've burnt worse !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

So if I split timber or block white thorn now, it won't be as good in 5 years time towards now, even if kept in a dry shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I like to have firewood drying for 2 years at least.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Who2

Sycamore is a different timber than most anything more than twelve months lying and you might as well throw paper on the fire. I'd say split away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 LiveWell

I had better get cracking on it straight away!! I've found info online about drying times for various woods - mostly from the USA - they never mention Sycamore though. Would their Maple trees be equivalent to our Sycamore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

LiveWell wrote: »
    I had better get cracking on it straight away!! I've found info online about drying times for various woods - mostly from the USA - they never mention Sycamore though. Would their Maple trees be equivalent to our Sycamore?

Does it mention drying time for eucalyptus trees?
    Yea the maple and sycamore are the same species.
    Any wood wouldn't be long drying in this weather though.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Does it mention drying time for eucalyptus trees?
    Yea the maple and sycamore are the same species.
    Any wood wouldn't be long drying in this weather though.

Maple and sycamore are two completely different trees for drying. maple will hold density and create a good fire for years after but sycamore goes light and boasty over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Who2 wrote: »
    Maple and sycamore are two completely different trees for drying. maple will hold density and create a good fire for years after but sycamore goes light and boasty over time.

I assume white thorn will last years of stored in a dry shed

I assume white thorn will last years of stored in a dry shed
    whitethorn is great burning for years, sycamore is just a waste after a year a filler at best. A decent beech that hasnt boasted isnt bad burning either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 LiveWell

What does "boasted" mean? Sorry for my lack of knowledge. Also, if I'm on the lookout for suitable firewood trees what would you recommend ?

Advertisement