Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student Card Confiscated

• 12-04-2017 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Not 100% sure if this is the right place to post this, so Mods please move if not?

My girlfriend got the train up and down to Dublin from Cork yesterday, and purchased student tickets as she is currently doing a masters part time in CIT.

No issues on journey up, ticket inspector checked tickets and all fine.

But on the way home, ticket inspector requested her student ID (which is fair enough) and noticed it had expired (apparently CIT only give the cards for 1 year instead of 2). So he brought her down to the back of the carriage, requested another form of ID, made her write down her name/address/DOB etc, gave her a €100 fine and then confiscated the Student Card and wouldn't give it back...

Now having an expired student card was a mistake, and he told her she can appeal it so she has contacted the college today and in fairness they are issuing a new card and scanning a copy to her today so she can appeal straight away.

But my question is, is it normal procedure to confiscate the Student Card? She told him that she uses it to access the library etc for college but he just said its expired and he has the authority to confiscate it? I'd just be concerned why he needs it, along with all her details, and where it will end up?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I think the inspector needed proof that the card was out of date.

In this case it was an honest mistake, but it also may be to deter any other student to try and get away with using it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Not 100% sure if this is the right place to post this, so Mods please move if not?

My girlfriend got the train up and down to Dublin from Cork yesterday, and purchased student tickets as she is currently doing a masters part time in CIT.

No issues on journey up, ticket inspector checked tickets and all fine.

But on the way home, ticket inspector requested her student ID (which is fair enough) and noticed it had expired (apparently CIT only give the cards for 1 year instead of 2). So he brought her down to the back of the carriage, requested another form of ID, made her write down her name/address/DOB etc, gave her a €100 fine and then confiscated the Student Card and wouldn't give it back...

Now having an expired student card was a mistake, and he told her she can appeal it so she has contacted the college today and in fairness they are issuing a new card and scanning a copy to her today so she can appeal straight away.

But my question is, is it normal procedure to confiscate the Student Card? She told him that she uses it to access the library etc for college but he just said its expired and he has the authority to confiscate it? I'd just be concerned why he needs it, along with all her details, and where it will end up?

Thanks

Its in the company bye laws.

She was wrong and got caught.

They can't go through checking if she is a student or not as its up to her to prove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

He was wrong to confiscate the ID. It is not the property of IE/CIE and never was.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Its in the company bye laws.

She was wrong and got caught.

They can't go through checking if she is a student or not as its up to her to prove it.

So after she appeals can she request the card back??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    So after she appeals can she request the card back??

She can request it back any time. It's property of either CIT or herself. Strong word but he essentially stole it.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    She can request it back any time. It's property of either CIT or herself. Strong word but he essentially stole it.

The card was not stolen.

If you use a student ID card and it is not yours or out of date it can be confiscated as it is no longer of use.

Leap student cards expire. Even if there is money left the user must renew.

Its a very good system and it stops her from reusing.
    I understand she didn't know or most likely wouldn't use again but by taking it that stops that happening again as many would continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Op what student card are you talking about. Is it a student travel card or the cit card?

CIE through the rpu agents on any services can take back a student travel card at any time for any reason. They have no reason to take an actual college card and are stealing if they do so.

Op what student card are you talking about. Is it a student travel card or the cit card?

CIE through the rpu agents on any services can take back a student travel card at any time for any reason. They have no reason to take an actual college card and are stealing if they do so.

If its used incorrectly or out of date it can be confiscated.
    Out of date card is no use and person applies for new if eligible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If its used incorrectly or out of date it can be confiscated. Out of date card is no use and person applies for new if eligible.

I can't see how it can be confiscated by a third party, it also may still have a use as indicated by the op even if out of date.

I can't see how it can be confiscated by a third party, it also may still have a use as indicated by the op even if out of date.

He has no use for it but if you travel you agree to t&c and company bye laws.

They can also confiscate social welfare passes if blocked, out of date or not person on card.

These cards remain property of college, state or body that has produced them in 99% of cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CaptivePortal

can part-time post grads get student travel discounts?

I was told(4 years ago) it is only available to full-time under-grads and post-grads

Advertisement