Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nobody shops by bike...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I stopped listening after
    “Motorists are coming into the city and keeping businesses alive,”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

@IrishCycle was asking to be tagged on #shopbybike tweets.

https://twitter.com/IrishCycle/status/850640596792430594

The mayor said that he’d encourage people to cycle but that “That’s a completely another debate.”

Is it? Completely? I guess in the old approach of encouraging people to cycle by saying "I encourage you to cycle" and leaving it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'm not on Twitter, can someone post it for me?

10261173_1610835629137065_1345077185_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I'm going in to town to do my weeks grocery shopping by bike today. I'm not going to bother taking a picture or tweeting anything though. There is already plenty of evidence to support the fact that cyclists spend money in town. Brendan Carr is just one of those people who don't let the facts get in the way of their opinions and it is pointless trying change the mind of someone like that with information.

What does he think all those people who cycle in to town every day do? Presumably they only get in the way of the heroic motorists who are saving the city. What about all those thousands of bicycles locked up around the city? Just getting the way again right?

It can't be that the vast majority of those people are doing something productive. Going to their job supplying the workforce for the businesses in the city centre. Going to the pubs and restaurants and spending money. And going to the shops to buy things.

Who is more likely to complain about lack of parking, traffic congestion and inconvenience in the city centre and then drive to an out of town shopping centre? It's not cyclists. Trying to give the city centre the same traffic access and parking as an out of town shopping centre is idiotic. Trying to make it more accessible to the people who actually want to shop there would be a lot more forward thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Well a Carr is never going to come out in support of a bike..

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Trying to give the city centre the same traffic access and parking as an out of town shopping centre is idiotic. Trying to make it more accessible to the people who actually want to shop there would be a lot more forward thinking.

Yeah, it can't actually be done. You can't beat the suburbs or out-of-town retail in terms of facilitating cars. It's just geometry and maths. You can't facilitate the flow of so many cars, and the land required to store them is too expensive.

Similarly, land devoted to parking in the city centre (especially subsidized parking) almost certainly can make more money by being reallocated to retail, food or entertainment. Even kerbside parking has been reallocated in some jurisdictions for dining areas.

Alek:
    https://twitter.com/dermotryanie/status/852114877212700672

EDIT:
    Did a retweet to @LordMayorDublin @DubCham @DublinTown

Presume that's what you wanted. Think @IrishCycle and @DublinCycling will be using the #shopbybike images anyway.

Cheers, that's what I wanted! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Interesting study:

Every study going demonstrates that cyclists spend as much or more per person than driving customers.

Kitchissippi Councillor Jeff Leiper wants to know how much you spent today while riding your bike. Add your purchases below, and watch the total grow!

https://ibikeibuy.ca/

https://ibikeibuy.ca/statistics/

• Advertisement

Kitchissippi is a magnificent place name.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crippens1

My last cycle into the city was to buy a laptop computer for my son in the Jervis Street Centre. There was a good discount on offer but I wouldn't have driven there to avail of it. If cycling to the city centre was hassle then I wouldn't have gone there at all and probably bought online.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

boardbeer wrote: »
    Lord Mayor of Dublin, Brendan Carr: "I don't know any cyclists who come into town and do bags of shopping and bring them home on their bike."
    http://irishcycle.com/2017/04/12/dublins-lord-mayor-wants-to-merge-buses-and-cars-on-small-section-of-quays/
    Tweet if you think otherwise:
    @LordMayorDublin #shopbybike @DubCham @DublinTown

Don't all the Dublin Bikes have a carrier basket at the front specifically to cater for carrying shopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

boardbeer wrote:
    Lord Mayor of Dublin, Brendan Carr: "I don't know any cyclists who come into town and do bags of shopping and bring them home on their bike."

Perhaps if they could still find their bike hasn't been stolen outside the shop they might.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Alek wrote: »
    I'm not on Twitter, can someone post it for me?
    Small ring:confused:

You're letting yourself as well as the Boards Cycling forum down Alek....

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

The only thing car drivers into Dublin spend money on is parking.

Well, that and pints, going by drink driving numbers.

Beasty wrote:
    Small ring

I don't even have the big one on my main bike! Spinners gonna spin :-P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Deedsie wrote: »
    Dublin City centre seems a good place to not concentrate completely on the road.
    yep, kudos to the cyclist this evening who exited clearwater shopping centre and made a right onto the N2 - most of which manouevre was done reading her phone - for still being in one piece after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Deedsie wrote: »
    Today I witnessed a motorist rolling a cigarette while driving on the N11. Traffic was moving slow to be fair but jaysus, time and a place.

Double kudos if you can roll one whilst riding a bike though...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I often pick up electrical supplies on my bike. Gets a laugh from other electricians at the suppliers. They're happy to sit in traffic, I'm not.
    Had a close call while carrying a roll of 6sq cable in a front basket, must weigh about 25KG. A pedestrian walked out in front of me on Leeson St., I narrowly avoided a collision. Not that easy to steer swiftly with that much weight up front!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my first job, when i was 15 or 16, was in an ice cream factory. if the owner wasn't there on a friday, the general manager used to send me home with 16l of ice cream, two 4KG tubs in two bags. i can tell you, cycling with two bags that weight penduluming (is that a word?) on the ends of your handlebars makes for a fun cycle home.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,074 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Effects wrote: »
    I often pick up electrical supplies on my bike. Gets a laugh from other electricians at the suppliers. They're happy to sit in traffic, I'm not.
    Had a close call while carrying a roll of 6sq cable in a front basket, must weigh about 25KG. A pedestrian walked out in front of me on Leeson St., I narrowly avoided a collision. Not that easy to steer swiftly with that much weight up front!
    my first job, when i was 15 or 16, was in an ice cream factory. if the owner wasn't there on a friday, the general manager used to send me home with 16l of ice cream, two 4KG tubs in two bags. i can tell you, cycling with two bags that weight penduluming (is that a word?) on the ends of your handlebars makes for a fun cycle home.

It would make for one very special insurance claim report if the two of ye had 'collided with a car' (as the Indo might say) on the way home.

"So you ended up with electrical cable wrapped round your head and 4kg of ice cream in your ear".

'your honour, the evidence had melted by the time we reached the scene'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Double kudos if you can roll one whilst riding a bike though...

In nearly sure I've seen this being done. Also someone reading a book cycling up the Navan Road near Ashtown last year

• Registered Users Posts: 10 amyplify

The ibikeibuy site is pretty cool. I wonder is there any value in making an open Google Sheet where Dublin Cyclists can log what they've spent in the city by bike?

It wouldn't be as pretty as ibikeibuy but it would give cold, hard numbers which seem to get a more concrete reaction - although I'm really enjoying scrolling through the #buybybike tag

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Ah sure tis great all these motorists coming into town, keeping the pubs in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

He's probably right. Most of my shopping is done online. Too much traffic in Dublin to make shopping pleasant.

I continue my decades-long solo voyage into the frozen wastelands of Utility Fred:

414931.jpg

(A variation on my Bakfiets lock holster.)

Lumen had my measure years ago:

fgddaf9dab024c30i0004000001fdf020.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Nonsense, have a car would never dream of driving into town to go to the shops.414949.jpg

Advertisement