Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nobody shops by bike...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

If you're on Twitter, maybe tweet that, in the manner suggested in original post. Nice set-up!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

betcha can't pull a wheelie on that with that load on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

nak wrote: »
    Nonsense, have a car would never dream of driving into town to go to the shops.

Those onions will never grow in that bark!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

betcha can't pull a wheelie on that with that load on it though.
    Floated it all the way home

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I continue my decades-long solo voyage into the frozen wastelands of Utility Fred:

414931.jpg

(A variation on my Bakfiets lock holster.)

How have you got the lock on there? Sick of putting it in my pannier

• Advertisement

Will show in another photo shortly. Attached to rear rack, rather than side basket. It's part of the reason I'm using a relatively short basket, to give room to continue attaching lock to the rear rack, as it's much handier than putting it in bags or the like all the time.

EDIT:
    Picture here

The Times has some coverage of the #shopbybike tweeting of the Mayor:
    https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/854603922580922368

Article itself behind a subscription wall.

Starts:
    Dublin cyclists took up the hashtag #shopbybike in response to comments by the lord mayor, Brendan Carr

Cyclists in Dublin have hit back at the lord mayor’s claims that those they do not spend as much as motorists in the city.

Using the hashtag #shopbybike dozens of cyclists have shared images on Twitter of their two-wheelers laden with shopping bags in protest at the comments made by Brendan Carr, the Labour mayor.

Speaking on The Pat Kenny Show on Newstalk, Mr Carr claimed that it was drivers who were keeping businesses in the capital alive. He was defending his opposition to a new cycle lane planned for the city centre. The initiative, as proposed by city officials, would involve traffic being diverted off the quays and through inner-city streets on the north side, such as Blackhall Place, North Brunswick Street and Church[...]

Famous dog in green Bullitt makes an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I just read on another thread about limiting parking in Cork that someone thinks that Dublin Town might have done a survey that showed that motorists spend more money than any other type of customer. Is there such a survey?

This of course is being used as evidence that parking restrictions are bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

HivemindXX wrote: »
    I just read on another thread about limiting parking in Cork that someone thinks that Dublin Town might have done a survey that showed that motorists spend more money than any other type of customer. Is there such a survey?

The National Car Parking association or some such lobby group came out with that less than rugorous "study"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

There is, and that's what the results said. Though from memory, they removed from the study any tourists, commuters, left-handed people, students, males with ponytails and anyone who was wheeling a bike at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

The National Car Parking association or some such lobby group came out with that less than rugorous "study"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,074 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Lord Mayor won't like these pics;

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2017/04/18/loaded/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Deedsie wrote: »
    Does anyone think a similar Twitter campaign sending George Hook tweets of motorists parking there cars on footpaths or cycle tracks would be of any use?

https://twitter.com/firedancetweet/status/877156362685382657

Like this tweet?

You've made it in life when your tweet gets posted on boards.ie :D A campaign is a good idea, to all journalists/papers maybe though not just Hook? Maybe we could put together a potential list of twitter handles here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the best example i can think of is people who park their cars on the footpath on east wall road - and appear to have clamped their *own* cars, presumably to prevent them being nicked.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3554847,-6.2301093,3a,75y,274.2h,83.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9I-dG-L8tu7BaRRXCdjKJQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

that's an old photo, the car that's currently clamped there is not pictured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Deedsie wrote: »
    Does anyone think a similar Twitter campaign sending George Hook tweets of motorists parking there cars on footpaths or cycle tracks would be of any use?

https://twitter.com/firedancetweet/status/877156362685382657

Like this tweet?

The Lord Mayor has handed us another hashtag on a plate with the #MakeWayDublin campaign, just use that in combination with #freethecyclelanes and show photos of vehicles blocking footpaths and bike lanes.

would we want to hijack a campaign intended for wheelchair users though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

We would be contributing to that campaign though, there's plenty of us out there, takes a few seconds to snap a car on a footpath and tweet it later on. The fact that we might benefit too is secondary really, or more accurately 'everyone benefits'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Technically it's not just wheelchair users, it's anyone with reduced mobility or a visual impairment.

More broadly speaking, as a society we have become blind to, and accepting of, the habitual abuse of the public realm by vehicle drivers and business owners. If you did a straw poll in central Dublin and asked pedestrians if they thought sandwich boards were illegal I reckon 90% would think they were legal - I mean how could something that's illegal be allowed literally everywhere in the city?

I certainly don't see it as a hijack anyway, considering how Lord 'Mare has repeatedly attacked cycling and has focused on 'locked bikes' in every interview he has done as part of the MakeWayDublin campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Well, in the Phoenix Park anyway, nobody can cycle on the cycle lane

https://www.facebook.com/dublincycling/videos/10158856227325052/

Edit, also in the journalism thread.

Advertisement