Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to let your employer know it's not the right organisation to progress your c

Options
  • 12-04-2017 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

So I'm currently working in a company on a project that is clearly failing/ progressing extremely slowly and has no business buy in. I think it's he case of the IT silver bullet, solving all problems but not realising the work involved. It has been good experience and I've learned a lot however I'm just getting the impression it's an organisation I won't progress in.

I've tried hard to salvage it however I don't think it can be rescued, however the employers are appreciative of my work I've done so far. I would like to keep on good terms as I'm thinking of contracting now, but I don't feel it's the company for me.

What would you recommend is the best way to. Let them know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

might be best to document what is wrong right now. Put together a draft plan on how to take the project forward.

Once you have this, then sit down with the project sponsor and outline your concerns and what you see as required to bring the project forward.

If they are serious about this project then something will happen reasonably quick. IF they aren't serious you can get a new job and explain to them that you outlined the issues and no action was taken. As such you feel your position on the project is untenable.

DON'Tjust walk out and expect them to be happy if you haven't at least tried to salvage the project (i know you said you have, but have you documented and highlighted this to the relevant people?). If you do, everything that goes wrong with the project will be blamed on you after you leave and you'll find it harder and harder to get a reference/stay in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Is there not a PMO or project or steering committee where daily/weekly/monthly status updates and deliverables are discussed, showstoppers and pain points highlighted? How do you account for your work daily? Do you have metrics set out for you that you have to demonstrate how you are achieving them and if not, why not? The most obvious hurdle I'm seeing so far is lack of business buy in. Why is your manager not concerned with this or been made aware of this by you during 1:1 or any other meetings you may be having with them? I'm struggling to understand how any company would proceed with throwing money at something that the business are not engaging in or simply not be aware the project is floundering unless you are somehow bizarrely covering everything up which would be most unprofessional.

Please speak to your manager or whomever has oversight of your contract to discuss your concerns with the project. You will be respected for being upfront and honest.

Advertisement