Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tripod?

Options
  • 12-04-2017 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

does any one use a tripod with their 223,if so how steady is it,i mean can you take rabbit head shots 200+yrds with confidence standing up? ps,not the 2 legged ones,the 3 or 4 leg ones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Coldbore 1.5" target at 200yards?!?

Even without considering the caliber there's no way you're getting that from a standing position in any circumstance.
    Off a tripod you'd still want to be sitting supported at least, using match grade ammo, and a rig that can deliver sub-MOA to begin with.

...and even then that's a hell of a shot!

With a field grade .223 I don't think it's doable personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭.243

extremetaz wrote: »
    Coldbore 1.5" target at 200yards?!?

Even without considering the caliber there's no way you're getting that from a standing position in any circumstance.
    Off a tripod you'd still want to be sitting supported at least, using match grade ammo, and a rig that can deliver sub-MOA to begin with.

...and even then that's a hell of a shot!

With a field grade .223 I don't think it's doable personally.
    Oh it can be done,I personally witnessed below,
    100 Mtr
    5 shots
    Standing using a tripod and pig saddle,

IMG_0229.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

That is some damn fine shooting right there!

Double the distance and what do you get though? My point was that I don't know if 1.5" cold is a reasonable expectation at 200yards for a .223 field rifle in any circumstance though, let alone standing supported.

Sitting supported I could see a 3" target being achievable by a decent shooter alright, but .75MOA is a big ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

extremetaz wrote: »
    Sitting supported I could see a 3" target being achievable by a decent shooter alright, but .75MOA is a big ask.

I'd agree, all you have to do is watch the HCAP shoot and see people using quad sticks miss deer sized vitals at closer ranges.

It can be done by a good shooter, with a decent rifle with ammo that suits it well. Similarly to .243 I've seen some great shots off quad sticks so I know it can be done but I'd be hesitant to say it's easy or a sure thing.

Quad sticks/saddles/tri-pods are really stable though so with everything perfect, those shots are possible, but if you don't have everything else sorted it will not be probable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭.243

Time to break out the gear and find out so

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

^^^^^^^^^^

Heh, heh, heh. All i think of with this is:

DCnwwit3.jpeg
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement