Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Korg Minilogue or Korg Volcas (Beats + Keys + Bass)

Options
  • 12-04-2017 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Looking to put together a basic home recording setup: guitar + bass into laptop with Presonus Audiobox USB (Studio One Artist).

On top of this I want to get into analogue synth.

I was thinking of getting the Korg Minilogue but for a similar price I can get the three Korg Volcas (Beats + Keys + Bass).

The Presonus already has an inbuilt synth "Mai Tai" and beat maker "Impact", so I think for the purposes of messing around, the Korg Volcas might be better? I can probly use the "Mai Tai" synth to play with the Volca sounds too.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I'd toyed with the idea of getting one of the Volca kits but in the end decided the sounds themselves were a bit cheap sounding. You might be as well off sticking with VSTs

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

Can't speak for the rest of the volca range but had the loan of the keys for a few days and I was expecting something really crap but I was really surprised at how big and pleasant it sounded when compared to much more expensive hardware analog synths. 4 voice polyphony. A lot of bang for your buck and you grow into the tiny keys/knobs after a bit. My 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I don't have experience with the volca range but just on principle I would recommend getting the Minologue. You're going to get more long term use out of a proper analogue synth than you will out the volca instruments which the uses of which can all be easily replicated in the box. Personally I would always prefer to have a hardware (analogue if possible) synth in my setup than a hardware anything else, cost permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Was looking to get the volca beats but in the end decided to buy a beatstep sequencer and use it to control Reason (kong/redrum/synth any DAW). Still looking to get into analogue myself. After using the beatstep for a while though I should have bought the beatstep pro, multichannel steps.

Good thing about the beatstep is its connectivity CV/Note out MIDI and USB. Will probably buy an analogue drum module in a few months. Was looking at them Mutant drum racks $$$

Advertisement