Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

semi private maternity cover

Options
  • 12-04-2017 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I'm pregnant with my first child and have decided on coombe. trying to decide between public and semi private. I have health insurance but am only covered for accommodation and consultants fees. anyone any idea how much everything else would work out costing and what are the main benefits of semi private?

Any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

If you are willing to fork out for semi you might as well go private. I can pm you brill doc we had. Always got private room even when told none available. This doc had"pull" there :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Hi Joanne, you might get better responses in Parenting/Pregnancy. Let me know if you want this thread moved. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 joannelohan

Tree wrote: »
    Hi Joanne, you might get better responses in Parenting/Pregnancy. Let me know if you want this thread moved. Thanks!

yes if you could move it that would be great. thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thread moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Private consultants start are €3,000 all inclusive.

Semi p fee is €750 plus you pay for scans but there is a cap on them of €480 max.

I never did semi p so can't comment :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Semi private in the Rotunda is 1100eur and includes everything. Scans, bloods, the works.

Edit: Disregard sorry, I see you're going to the Coombe and I can't speak for there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I never really understood why people go semi private. You don't really get much for the money that you wouldn't get for free on the public system.

I was public in Holles street and had amazing care the whole way through. Longest we ever waited to be seen was about 45 minutes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I never really understood why people go semi private. You don't really get much for the money that you wouldn't get for free on the public system.

I was public in Holles street and had amazing care the whole way through. Longest we ever waited to be seen was about 45 minutes.

That is amazing .
    I have seen people having to wait 3-4 hours there .
    If you are going public then go through the midwives if you can ,they are amazing .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Moonbeam wrote: »
    That is amazing .
    If you are going public then go through the midwives if you can ,they are amazing .

Our outpatients appointments were always at 8am. So we would arrive at 7.45 and be close to top of the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Moonbeam wrote: »
    That is amazing .

That was my experience.....waiting hours and hours! I too got there early but sure so did everyone. After waiting hours God only knows who I would see. I remember at the first appointment my husband leaving a 10.30 to put more money on the car as it think you can only park for 3 hours max! I was still waiting to be seen
    :( As soon as there was a spot I switched to domino. Zero wait times.

Even for anamoly scan we had to wait for over an hour.
    All in holles st.

I think though the wards in coombe had less beds in public :)

Private this time round and much prefer it tbh. I get to see my consultant whenever I want and as many times. Everything much much calmer. Well worth the money. Regret not going private on my son in hindsight. Don't ask me why I didn't!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Semi private is a waste of money. I'd go fully private or public.

If we were to have another one we would go public again

We have used the Coombe for our first two
    Use the money saved for more important things (with regards to the baby)
    The service is first class
    The only thing that would have been nicer is to have a private room after the actual birth, but everything prenatal and during the actual labour is first class when going public

Certainly don't go semi

Good luck!!!!! :-)

Advertisement